McNulty, young Seneca Wallace?

Got5onIt

Maybe Coach Mac sees in McNulty what he saw in Seneca Wallace? I saw Wallace play as a Sr at ISU and he was a helluva QB. He was an undersized, mobile QB with an average arm, but an excellent field general.

Anyone seen Wallace play as a Fresh & Soph? Did he even start as an underclassman?

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I can't really speak to Wallace, but I can tell you that I remember a kid named Scott Hall running for his life much of his true freshman season. We didn't win many games that season but he ended up working out ok for us. Time will tell.

McNulty has one good freaking DRIVE, not game, but DRIVE, and he's warranting comparison to an NFL QB, and a UNT HOFer? Stop it right now. Seneca Wallace is/was an excellent athlete. McNulty is average in the athleticism department. Just because he's small doesn't make him athletic. He's not much faster than Thompson.

• Upvote 5

McNulty has one good freaking DRIVE, not game, but DRIVE, and he's warranting comparison to an NFL QB, and a UNT HOFer? Stop it right now. Seneca Wallace is/was an excellent athlete. McNulty is average in the athleticism department. Just because he's small doesn't make him athletic. He's not much faster than Thompson.

Slow down partner. I was only making the comparison to Wallace in college because of them being undersized mobile QB's.

I'm just trying to grasp some insight as to why Coach Mac won't play Ozzy....

Edited by Got5onIt

Maybe Coach Mac sees in McNulty what he saw in Seneca Wallace? I saw Wallace play as a Sr at ISU and he was a helluva QB. He was an undersized, mobile QB with an average arm, but an excellent field general.

Anyone seen Wallace play as a Fresh & Soph? Did he even start as an underclassman?

Seneca played JUCO before he got to Ames , so he was pretty well polished.

Edited by NT03

I can't really speak to Wallace, but I can tell you that I remember a kid named Scott Hall running for his life much of his true freshman season. We didn't win many games that season but he ended up working out ok for us. Time will tell.

Harry I want to see eye to eye with you on this but, personally, I did not see in McNulty the same flashes I saw from Hall. Even in losses, Hall demonstrated some very innate qualities that could be built upon.

Have you seen anything from McNulty that leads you to make this comparison, or is this grasping for straws?

• Upvote 1

Harry I want to see eye to eye with you on this but, personally, I did not see in McNulty the same flashes I saw from Hall. Even in losses, Hall demonstrated some very innate qualities that could be built upon.

Have you seen anything from McNulty that leads you to make this comparison, or is this grasping for straws?

Scott Hall had a lot more talent around him on both sides of the ball. Hall was great because he was good at not making bad decisions. He also had a world-class run game and first rate defense. We don't have any of those things right now.

I know everyone wants to win big now, but we are at least not losing games in which we should be competitive. This staff knows what they are doing, it's just going to take more than 8 games to unsink the Titanic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Scott Hall had a lot more talent around him on both sides of the ball. Hall was great because he was good at not making bad decisions. He also had a world-class run game and first rate defense. We don't have any of those things right now.

I hadn't thought of that and agree. Thanks for bringing that up.

Or it could be that if your going to invest playing time for a QB, let it be in someone you're going to have for four years instead of just two.

Actually Osborne has 3 years left. Same with DT, no?

And I cannot agree with your point. If he is trying to maximize his friend's son's college football career, they should have let him redshirt and taken a year to put size on him and improve his passing game. Then he could be a backup for the last two years of the other two's eligibility and possibly be a solid junior ready to step in. Or since our QB's seem to be so fragile lately, fill in for injuries and prove that he BELONGS there.

I am just so sick of the whole "he might not be the best option, but since he has one extra year of eligibility, it is worth putting the lesser player on the field" argument.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

At the coach's show each Monday night, Coach MaC has said over and over that in practice, McNulty does a better job. And that while he's aware of some guys playing better than they practice, he doesn't believe it. And since practices are closed, for good reason I think, we must believe that Coach is correct in his quaterback assessment or that he is not being honest. Because I have not reason to think otherwise, I have to believe that McNulty practices better than Osborn.

I hope Derek Thompson is 100% quickly because our offense drops a level or two without him.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

Actually Osborne has 3 years left. Same with DT, no?

And I cannot agree with your point. If he is trying to maximize his friend's son's college football career, they should have let him redshirt and taken a year to put size on him and improve his passing game. Then he could be a backup for the last two years of the other two's eligibility and possibly be a solid junior ready to step in. Or since our QB's seem to be so fragile lately, fill in for injuries and prove that he BELONGS there.

I am just so sick of the whole "he might not be the best option, but since he has one extra year of eligibility, it is worth putting the lesser player on the field" argument.

God forbid McNulty getting hurt, because DT is clearly going to be walking wounded for awhile, and we don't seem to feel any urgency at giving our third teamer any PT. Come to think of it, I guess we really won't know who our third teamer actually is until the opportunity presents itself. B)

• Upvote 1

Seneca was a JUCO.

McNulty isn't good. He can run. So what? A quarterback throws the ball. Going into the final drive, he had only thrown for 78 yards.

Color me unimpressed that he led a touchdown drive against Arkansas State's spares in the waning moments of a blowout. When Arkansas State had their guns in the game, his passing total was a fat 78 yards for three quarters worth of work. Pathetic.

This is the thing that is aggravating me about McCarney. If a guy isn't doing the job - obviously not moving the team - put the other guy in. When you're down 31-0, there is no harm in letting both play. It was painfully obvious that McNulty was not going to get us back into the ball game. Let Osborn try.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

So, we're calling McNulty playing a question of nepotism, to use the term quite loosely? At this point, Thompson is the guy for the rest of the year, at which point, he'll reevaluate the situation and maybe give Osborne a chance next year. We're 3-6, with a chance to win out and finish .500. I know you guys are going to come after me guns blazing for having "low expectations", but I'm actually thoroughly impressed with the prospect of even finishing one game below .500. This is a good sign of progress, considering the train wreck we've been.

Now, blast me to negative town.

• Upvote 3

So, we're calling McNulty playing a question of nepotism, to use the term quite loosely? At this point, Thompson is the guy for the rest of the year, at which point, he'll reevaluate the situation and maybe give Osborne a chance next year. We're 3-6, with a chance to win out and finish .500. I know you guys are going to come after me guns blazing for having "low expectations", but I'm actually thoroughly impressed with the prospect of even finishing one game below .500. This is a good sign of progress, considering the train wreck we've been.

Now, blast me to negative town.

I elect you Mayor of Negative Town. How can you be happy with anything less than a 12-0 season???

This is the thing that is aggravating me about McCarney. If a guy isn't doing the job - obviously not moving the team - put the other guy in. When you're down 31-0, there is no harm in letting both play. It was painfully obvious that McNulty was not going to get us back into the ball game. Let Osborn try.

At least as long as I've been around football, what you say pretty much always seems to occur in those situations. I respect McCarney's abilities as a coach, so I'm guessing that Osborn is not getting a chance for one of two reasons. Either there is some kind of a personal off the field issue here, or, well, you can probably guess the other one. All speculation of course, so don't hold me to it if turns out to be some kind of a medical issue, or if it's later revealed that a boy named Brent once took his lunch money.