Greeks not going to the game ?

greenjoe

Until Basketball season? He may not show up then either, unless there's more free posters.That's the way to he the Greeks in. More free posters.

So basically, we need to walk by The Hill with a poster tied to a stick hanging down from a string and just dangle it in front of them. They will all follow it into the stadium, and we lock the gate behind them.

• Upvote 1

Don't people have to cart their tailgating gear from other lots to The Hill (and other tailgating areas), and thus haul them back before the game? Maybe that is a part of the problem? People waste alot of time and energy hauling their stuff to a location to set up, and feel that it would be more worthwhile to stay there during the game rather than haul it all back, and then trek back again for the game?

How about each organization be allowed, say 2-4 parking spaces by Victory hall, of course they would be bought, not given, and each frat, sorority, college organization could pile all of their tailgating supplies into those cars, and park them by the stadium, then pack up there before gametime. Maybe that would help. Once the lot is filled with season ticket holders, stop that practice. Hopefully at that point, they would be accostomed to coming to the games. Maybe also make those spaces available for cash, at a higher rate, and fans could tailgate closer to their vehicles.

• Upvote 1

Winning games will help

In the words of the immortal Green P1...Prove It. (Sorry, GP1 if I misquoted but praise to whomever said it)

The Greeks may not be the problem but they are a problem. If the fraternities and sororities think so little of their university and its football team why don't they just party at their house or some other location. They are at best a distraction. Many have so noted and unfavorably commented on it.

At least one fraternity taught that any act that brings discredit on themselves also brings discredit on their fraternity and Greek system as a whole. Overall, fraternities and sororities are a real plus for a university but they can give both their university and their fraternity a black-eye when they act irresponsibly. At least take the Greek letters down when you're not doing something worthwhile.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Until Basketball season? He may not show up then either, unless there's more free posters.That's the way to he the Greeks in. More free posters.

If you look deeper into the European debt crisis, especially the Greek debt crisis, you'll see that it originated when the government began liberally (re: irresponsibly) handing out posters to Greek citizens. Now, they're all reliant upon the government for their posters.

Let's not fall into that trap. Just win games.

• Upvote 1

If you look deeper into the European debt crisis, especially the Greek debt crisis, you'll see that it originated when the government began liberally (re: irresponsibly) handing out posters to Greek citizens. Now, they're all reliant upon the government for their posters.

Let's not fall into that trap. Just win games.

Nicely played, sir. Just beware of Greek rioting--I saw them do it in Athens when the Big Govt came cracking down on them!!

• Upvote 1

1. Let's be honest, the Greek community has never been that "welcomed" at UNT. They've been bullied, victims of administrative which hunting, mocked by the counterculture that almost rules the university, it's kind of a given that they are hesitant to come around and they keep to themselves on a regular basis. However, the community at large needs to realize that even if they're only 10 percent, which I am assured is the actual population now, that is 3600 students that could help with the student section- one that could get very loud. Harness that force, and you've got a legit home field advantage. Lets look at successful home fields and realize one thing, using LSU, Alabama, Florida, USC, Wisconsin, Ohio State- huge, active greek systems.

Would you want to be a part of something when everyone bad mouths you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone that hasnt been in a fraternity, doesnt understand how much we do for this school. If they wanna drink at tailgate and during a game, let them do it. This program hasnt won enough games at home to make it a priority to come into the stadium. Quit b!tcing about the fraternities and sororities for supporting our school and having more school spirit than any other orginaztion on campus. Last time I counted, there werent 6 non fraternity guys driving to Clemson, Hot Springs, Bama to go to games, it was a bunch of drunk fraternity guys that do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone that hasnt been in a fraternity, doesnt understand how much we do for this school. If they wanna drink at tailgate and during a game, let them do it. This program hasnt won enough games at home to make it a priority to come into the stadium. Quit b!tcing about the fraternities and sororities for supporting our school and having more school spirit than any other orginaztion on campus. Last time I counted, there werent 6 non fraternity guys driving to Clemson, Hot Springs, Bama to go to games, it was a bunch of drunk fraternity guys that do.

Since Greeks are already doing so much for UNT would it hurt for them to get into the stadium? It's like a 50-100 yard walk to the gate from the hill at most.

Dr. Seuss is correct.

I'm not in a fraternity and I don't know what the frats do for the school.

What do frats do for the University of North Texas ?

Could then, one of the things frats do for the school, they come into the Stadium and be counted ? Their tickets are already apid for. The ony effort would be to pick up a ticket prior to game time and walk from the tailgate area into the game.

This could be another thing frats do for the school.

I really am not picking on fraternities, but it is they that put their greek letters up so that I can read them from Apogee. I assume they are displaying their letters because they are proud of what they are doing. They certainly wouldn't display their name if they were not proud. Right ?

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Why don't we also discuss the amount of Greeks that make in into the stadium. Let's also compare that amount to how the rest of the students turnout. I guarantee the Greeks have a higher turnout % than most. Winning games and making them exciting will help to get more and more in from their tailgates.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Let us not forget what the Greeks were doing that day too....the Greeks were in the school parade that started at 1pm, did not finish till around 2:30, and the majority of the Greek members did not even start tailgating until an hour before kickoff. Homecoming is a big social networking event for Greeks too...many Alumni come back to see their chapter and hang with the Actives.

It is hard to fault the Greeks for a game that got moved up and a parade that did not...

It would be nice to see IFC get involved to help increase the Greek numbers in the stadium.

Just my humble opinion...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are some good thoughts on this thread that would encourage attendance. I would recommend that you email your thoughts to Rick or Maureen McGuinness, dean of students. maureen.mcguinness@unt.edu. These are people who can actually implement items. Discussing on the board only will probably never lead to any real action.

There are some good thoughts on this thread that would encourage attendance. I would recommend that you email your thoughts to Rick or Maureen McGuinness, dean of students. maureen.mcguinness@unt.edu. These are people who can actually implement items. Discussing on the board only will probably never lead to any real action.

Remember to include my suggestion of just killing people that won't go into the stadium. It's time this board made its presence known. People at UNT need to know that we run this MF and that we won't stop short of anything to get what we want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If they wanna stay on the hill that's their own business. My only problem is how do they get all their stuff there? Are they allowed to park where only MG Club members do? Do they have help in towing their stuff to the hill? Because I know even big frat guys can't walk couches from greek row.

I attend the games and pay for a ticket and I have to walk all the way from campus. I'd love to be able to tailgate, but sorry, $125 or whatever the MG Club fees are, are just a little too high for that priveledge. Why should greeks get the free ride if they're not even coming in the stadium?

Remember to include my suggestion of just killing people that won't go into the stadium. It's time this board made its presence known. People at UNT need to know that we run this MF and that we won't stop short of anything to get what we want.

How will we kill them?

If they wanna stay on the hill that's their own business. My only problem is how do they get all their stuff there? Are they allowed to park where only MG Club members do? Do they have help in towing their stuff to the hill? Because I know even big frat guys can't walk couches from greek row.

I attend the games and pay for a ticket and I have to walk all the way from campus. I'd love to be able to tailgate, but sorry, $125 or whatever the MG Club fees are, are just a little too high for that priveledge. Why should greeks get the free ride if they're not even coming in the stadium?

I'll be glad to answer this.

The old Radisson parking lot is available for people to drop off tailgate items a couple hours before game time. There is a police officer in the lot. You are allowed to park for 15 minutes. I know this because I brought a generator to a "Frat" party the first game. And it was a royal pain in the ass.

So they aren't getting any preferential treatment and you aren't getting screwed. They all still have to park wherever they can find a space. For us, it cost $20 and we had a hell of a walk.

Contrary to whatever people on this board want to believe, Greeks on this campus NEVER get preferential treatment. They are ALWAYS under greater scrutiny and held to a higher standard than the average student. And that's okay, because most Greek organizations have it written in their codes to hold themselves to higher standards, and by being highly-visible, it is important all are aware of how they are being perceived and that any action they do is a reflection of their fraternity/sorority, as well as the Greek system as a whole. But to suggest otherwise is just wrong.

Edited by Eagle1855