Greeks not going to the game ?

greenjoe

As I watched a great game last afternoon, I saw hundreds of people still tailgating and those that I saw were partying around big greek letters. The only ones I could make out were the Kappa Alpha "KA" letters, but there were at least one more I couldn't read.

Why aren't these UNT Clubs going into the Stadium and supporting the team ? Students have already paid for their tickets, right ? Did these clubs have hundreds of alums that didn't have tickets ? If so, why not ?

I know many things have been discussed in years past about getting tail gate groups into the Stadium. As my wife and i walked toward our seats at 3:30 (too late in my mind, but we saw the kickoff), we spoke of what might encourage these 'non-fans' into Apogee. How about a annoying bell and group of students walking around reminding people it's time to fold up the tent and head to the game.

Could these greek clubs e contacted and asked to close down their party and go to the gme ? If asked,would they respond in the spirit the request was made ?

I hope these non-participants will join us and help this team win this year.

GO MEAN GREEN

First time posting, so hopefully I get this right. As a greek from a long, long time ago, we had issues getting our fellow greeks into the game, primarily, because the bulk of them are T-Shirt fans. They were more interested in going to Austin, Tech or A&M games. What really helped me was when my chapter got kicked off campus many, many moons ago, I actually branched out and realized that the bulk majority of them were tools and more interested in just going to the tailgate or staying on the row.

What needs to happen is a member from IFC- their governing council, needs to step up and increase involvement. Add involvement points that go towards Chapter of the Year would possibly sweeten the deal. Also, there were a number of primarily greek spirit organizations that were allowed on the field at Fouts- Wings, predominantly Lambda Chi's, would do push ups to the tune of however many points we were at, and did a pretty good job of getting the fans revved up. Are there any organizations like that at Apogee? Definitely something worth looking at creating. Has Coach approached IFC yet?

Nonetheless, with the growing numbers in the greek world, that would definitely increase the student desire to go to games. Plus, it would fill in any holes greatly.

• Upvote 3

You are always going to have those people that are more interested in tailgating than going to a game. Whether they are Greek or not, although it certainly is easy to single out the Greeks on campus. I tailgated next to some people that simply packed up and went home at 3:30 yesterday. I saw many Greek letter shirts walking around the "wing" section and sure there were many more not wearing letters. If we took a stroll through the student sections, I'm sure we would have all seen a lot more.

• Upvote 1

Nonetheless, they are a growing and powerful presence at the campus, and we'd be remiss to neglect their contribution. Perhaps it's time I talked to my alumni chairman and find out what needs to be done to get them into the stands.

I couldn't care less if they come inside the stadium. They add to the atmosphere just being on the hill. They'll come inside only once they feel like they'll be missing something by staying outside.

How about this …. Walk in, be counted, take a restroom break, go back out.

• Upvote 1

I thought the athletic department said there would be no tailgating after the games start. I don't like seeing anybody tailgating on the hill when our team is fighting for a win. I wish RV would do something about this.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Greeks....whatever happened to The Wings? Weren't those frat guys? They used to be a great group. Haven't seen them in several years.

I wonder if we should go back to the old system of swiping ID cards? I realize that you can probably pick up a student ticket on game day. But if say there's a long line there....you might have some who would have gone in...if all they had to do was get their ID swiped, as opposed to having to stand in a line to get a ticket. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Greeks....whatever happened to The Wings? Weren't those frat guys? They used to be a great group. Haven't seen them in several years.

I wonder if we should go back to the old system of swiping ID cards? I realize that you can probably pick up a student ticket on game day. But if say there's a long line there....you might have some who would have gone in...if all they had to do was get their ID swiped, as opposed to having to stand in a line to get a ticket. Just a thought.

They got rid of the wings because having a bunch of drunks doing pushups was unnecessary.

And, for the love of god, can we stop saying the people tailgating all game add to the atmosphere? I GUARANTEE that at NO point yesterday, during a crucial third down or when Herron recovered that fumble for a touchdown, did a single person in that stadium turn to someone and say "this is great...and it's so much sweeter because of the frat boys on the hill!!!" And when the DMN did their blurb about last night's game there wasn't a single mention of how special the Apogee experience is these days because students drink all day. It's a lie, plain and simple.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not fair or productive to pick on the Greeks. There are lot's of students, alumni, and Denton residents who ought to be more involved with UNT.

We have a university that deserves our support. ALL of us should do what we can to get the word out about our football, basketball, volleyball, and - not most of all - our academics. We have a university that deserves our support and our pride.

God bless Texas!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah it sucks so many greeks don't enter the stadium, but before you keep complaining, think about it. The greek clubs are still brining in people to the "game day" experience. Some of these people do enter the stadium and those are people that wouldn't be in the stadium if the greeks didn't hold their tailgating parties. If we start winning and playing better teams, more of them will want to go to the game, but don't just blame greeks for low attendance. They actually help attendance, even though a lot of them don't go to the game.

• Upvote 1

Especially since he's been at his seat for every home game.

Only reason he's been coming is because he was waiting on some kind of free poster. He finally got , we may not see him again.Now he will go back to his drunken ways and stay passed out on the hill

Edited by NT03

This topic again? It's bordering on obsessive. Why does anyone care *where* someone else doesn't attend the game? Would it be better if they didn't attend the game back in their dorm rooms, apartments or frat houses? Maybe they aren't sports fans or hate football. What about all the students that leave Denton every weekend to go back to mom and dad's house? At least these individuals are coming out of their caves and participating. That is huge IMHO.

Step 1 - Build awareness and some semblence of school pride.

Step 2 - Get or keep students on campus and get them close to the stadium so they can experience the game day festivities and reinforce that budding school pride.

Step 3 - Get them in the stadium.

Step 4 - Fill the stadium.

Step 5 - Feel sorry for all those that *have* to hang out on the hill during the game because that's as close as they can get.

We're at about step 1.5.

Keith

• Upvote 3

This topic again? It's bordering on obsessive. Why does anyone care *where* someone else doesn't attend the game? Would it be better if they didn't attend the game back in their dorm rooms, apartments or frat houses? Maybe they aren't sports fans or hate football. What about all the students that leave Denton every weekend to go back to mom and dad's house? At least these individuals are coming out of their caves and participating. That is huge IMHO.

Step 1 - Build awareness and some semblence of school pride.

Step 2 - Get or keep students on campus and get them close to the stadium so they can experience the game day festivities and reinforce that budding school pride.

Step 3 - Get them in the stadium.

Step 4 - Fill the stadium.

Step 5 - Feel sorry for all those that *have* to hang out on the hill during the game because that's as close as they can get.

We're at about step 1.5.

Keith

The school pride is building...huge...this year.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2

Only reason he's been coming is because he was waiting on some kind of free poster. He finally got , we may not see him again.Now he will go back to his drunken ways and stay passed out on the hill

Until Basketball season? He may not show up then either, unless there's more free posters.That's the way to he the Greeks in. More free posters.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1