Lafayette paper: 100,000 expected for tailgating today

FirefightnRick

It''s their homecoming (looking forward to the day when almost every belt school doesn't schedule us as their homecoming game), they are 5-1, and there is some kind of huge festival going on.

Doubt they have 100k, but not surprised they will have a large tailgating scene.

We need to win some football games, starting toxay. A win today puts 5k extra butts in the seats next week.

Oh, no doubt. Today is an outlier by every measure regarding ULL attendance.

They're still doing a healthy mid-high 20's thus far, because they're winning... something I think we would easily attain in the same circumstance.

all i know is that if we were 5-1 and 3-0 in the SBC and this was our homecoming i bet we would be a sell out...

WINNING = FANS

Lets stop getting penis envy cause the cajuns have more fans. were turning around the program and the fans will come. we havent had a winning program in 7 years. its going to take time.

and...yall get to live in DFW while they live in layfayette.... so thats a plus! :thumbsu:

all i know is that if we were 5-1 and 3-0 in the SBC and this was our homecoming i bet we would be a sell out...

WINNING = FANS

Lets stop getting penis envy cause the cajuns have more fans. were turning around the program and the fans will come. we havent had a winning program in 7 years. its going to take time.

and...yall get to live in DFW while they live in layfayette.... so thats a plus! :thumbsu:

Keep bringing up winning. Well, we had a winning record in the early 2000s and never came close to having so many fans show up for games. We will have to become a winning program in a major conference before that really makes a difference. We forget that there isn't much to do in Lafayette other than go and watch this game. Being in the DFW is only good for the TV market and recruits, everything else goes against us.

• Upvote 2

Keep bringing up winning. Well, we had a winning record in the early 2000s and never came close to having so many fans show up for games. We will have to become a winning program in a major conference before that really makes a difference. We forget that there isn't much to do in Lafayette other than go and watch this game. Being in the DFW is only good for the TV market and recruits, everything else goes against us.

True but I think the school has done a great job in enhancing the school pride and getting people more aware about the program. Should we have another good run like we had in the belt in the early 2000's then I really think the attendance and outlook would be completely different today. Again we have to give people a reason to come to the games and they would come if we start winning again. Plus I think what they have done the last 5-10 yrs as far as incoming student and raising their school pride has been really nice.

Say what you want about the history of our football team, but Lafayette is an AWESOME city. We have big things to do EVERY night of EVERY week of EVERY year. If you haven't lived here, you wouldn't understand it. We had a very cool festival in town today, yet we drew 32,000. Name a day of the week and I'll name an event that's going on that is drawing thousands.

Good game tonight guys, Dunbar is an animal and I hope you guys win out!!

• Upvote 1

We can analyze it all we want... but when ULL was at the bottom of the standings, they weren't selling out and didn't have 1/5th that for tailgating.

At the end of the day, the math is pretty simple.

Living in Lafayette all my life and being a huge Cajun fan, I for one can respond appropriately to this thread. We always have around 30,000 people tailgating, win or lose, because it's just a great place to pass a good time. Now that we are FINALLY winning football games...we have around 100,000 people tailgating, no joke! I hope some of you guys can make a trip to Lafayette and experience it for yourself. The few Mean Green fans that I did see were greeted with great food and cold beer/drinks, from yours truly of course! Lafayette is the $hit and The University of Louisiana truly is a sleeping GIANT...the beast might be waking up!

This is more than just "math" it's a lifestyle...football is everything is south Louisiana. What we kill in the morning usually gets cooked in the evening and we have fun doing it. Today's attendance was 32,885..largest Sun Belt game ever. If you look at the top ten Sun Belt attended games, Louisiana is consistently at the top of the list. PLEASE COME TO LAFAYETTE, YOU ALL ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!

Our menu today consisted of:

butter corn grits with BBQ jumbo Gulf shrimp on top

slow cooked pulled pork sandwiches on French bread

white chocolate bread pudding

GEAUX CAJUNS

Edited by Louisiana
  • Upvote 1

The few Mean Green fans that I did see were greeted with great food and cold beer/drinks, from yours truly of course! Lafayette is the $hit and The University of Louisiana truly is a sleeping GIANT...the beast might be waking up!

Congratulations on the win and the crowd. Has Louisiana-Lafayette changed its name? I keep seeing people refer to it simply as the University of Louisiana.

A few "eye witness" facts from the ULL game which I attended. (I've attended the past three ULL-UNT games in Lafayette)

- Friendly people, willing to offer food and conversation to opposing team fans. Genuine people.

- I doubt they had 100K tailgating; but they did have a whole bunch. Very impressive.

- There were many empty seats in the stadium but I'm sure if you put the fans sitting in the grassy end zones into those seats you would get the 32K attendance

- I think of student section and their extremely foul mouths as "LSU Lite" (fans).

- great game-day atmosphere but dry and hot

- No offense ULL fans, but get a larger video board. The one you have is so small that it's useless.

- Our DB's were still reading their press clippings from the FAU game!

- By far the best attended ULL game I've been to. Previous games at ULL may have had 2-3000 fans on the press box side. WINNING HELPS ATTENDANCE!

You guys have had 36 years to get better and turn it around blink.gif

Yeah, we went to the dance in 92',00',05'and maybe some other years in between that I can't think of off hand. Our basketball tradition is WAY richer than UNT. Outside of WKU, I would say we are the class of the Sun Belt...but I am a homer.

Edited by Louisiana

Yeah, we went to the dance in 92',00',05'and maybe some other years in between that I can't think of off hand. Our basketball tradition is WAY richer than UNT. Outside of WKU, I would say we are the class of the Sun Belt...but I am a homer.

That's three trips to the dance. Ditto North Texas...except our last two were this decade, and we were a prayer from adding a fifth last season. Tap the brakes there Jethro.

That's three trips to the dance. Ditto North Texas...except our last two were this decade, and we were a prayer from adding a fifth last season. Tap the brakes there Jethro.

Also, our trips to the NCAA tournament officially happened.

You won't see any Sun Belt Conference logos hanging in Hot Springs for the years we've won the tournament.

My bad...92,94,2000,2004, and 2005. In all 10 NCAA trips but like I was saying I'm a homer. WKU is no doubt the class of the Belt.

....and we didn't even come close to 100K for our opening week-end....with a NAME OPPONENT. Even in their worst times, they still have better overall fans than us. They also have a win over A&M (1996)....have we?

No but we have a win over Tennessee...do they? HeHe... :-)

My bad...92,94,2000,2004, and 2005. In all 10 NCAA trips but like I was saying I'm a homer. WKU is no doubt the class of the Belt.

According to Wikipedia:

NCAA Tournament participant 1972*, 1973*, 1982, 1983, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004**, and 2005**.

*Vacated by NCAA

**Vacated by NCAA

So, ULL has actually been to the NCAA tournament 9 times but the NCAA only recognizes 5 trips where the trip was not vacated due to NCAA violations.

Edited by UNTFan23