Mid-season Grade For New Coaches

MeanGreen61

B+

First: never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never kick the ball to T.Y. Hilton.

Second: Against Tulsa, go with the guy with at least some college experience if you've got to go with a backup. That was Osborn, not McNulty.

Third: Indiana and FAU have staged rallies against us in the 4th quarter after we were way ahead. Coaches need to hammer into the kids not to let up.

Fourth: Now that we have a dedicated special teams coach, the kicker is missing kicks. WTF?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yes, we have had issues in the first half of the season. Who hasnt? No one is perfect.

Think big picture here. The guy took over a train that had officially run off of the tracks and crashed into a wall. He has successfully gotten the train back in working codition and now has it moving on the tracks in the right direction. For that, I would give him an A.

• Upvote 1

I think B is about right. Alabama was unwinable. FIU had the advantage of a in-place coaching staff and a solid group of players returning. Tulsa and Houston had more horses than we did. If A+ is the highest grade available, what grade would Coach MaC have gotten had NT defeated Alabama and/or Houston ?

What I would give Coach McC an A on is his work away from the football field. He greets everyone with passion and excitement. That aspect of his personality gets him extra points in my book. Aside from his W/L record.

Great job so far Coach MaC. I can't wait for what's to come.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I for incomplete... the season is only half over.

But, if you force me, a C+. Nice wins over Indiana and FAU balanced by a pathetic effort in the season opener (0 first down passes in the 1st half) and a head scratching decision to start a freshman QB against Tulsa. Alabama was Alabama.

B+

I have seen improvement in all games if we continue to win, the grade will go higher. 6-6 will get an A+

I think it's okay to be critical and have high expectations from coaches while supporting them at the same time. I wouldn't give him an A+ unless we had gone 9-3. Too late for that and I know it wasn't realistic, therefore I have higher expectations than normal. Look what the new coach at ULL is doing. He goes 6-6 and I'll give him a B+, not an A though, even though I'd say that'd be far beyond what I realistically expected. Just can't give that high grade. If I become a professor my students are going to hate me, lol.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Six games in and we're still bowl eligible and have legitimate confidence that we can beat anyone in our conference for the first time since 2005. That gets a B+ from me.

I agree. I just can't judge McCarney without factoring in the past 5 years. Along those lines, I don't see how anyone could give coach McCarney anything less than a "B". "B+" for me. There have been some head scratching moments, but not nearly as many as in the past 5 years.

Some may want to look at his job objectively, only focus on what he's done while here, and not factor in the past few years. That's fine. We're 2-3 and our losses have been blowouts. I can understand a low grade.

By the way, we had a 31-0 lead in the 3rd quarter of the game with FAU. How nice must it have been for the guys to be the team that was expected to take the foot off the gas for once?

• Downvote 1