Coach Mac's Radio Show

Matt

I only got to hear about half of it, and I have a lousy memory . . . But I'll try to give you a few tidbits.

- Someone asked him about using McNulty at the goal line in that situation after Osborn had driven the team downfield. The way he expressed it made it sound like Coach C was behind that, but he said he has all confidence in Coach C. Apparently they had a package drawn up with McNulty in for goal line situations, but there wasn't much anybody could do when Fortenberry got knocked right back into McNulty.

- He talked about pre-game routines, how during the downtime (Friday night, I assume) players can watch movies (last weekend was Gladiator), watch the Friday night college football game, get therapy. He talked about how the players put on their shirt and tie ("because that's what we do now at North Texas") to rousing applause from the crowd there.

- Both he and George talked about their surprise that North Texas had never played a Big 10 team before.

- Coach Mac was very complimentary of the offenses that Indiana has had.

- Osborn and McNulty are battling it out for the #2 QB position.

I'll try and think of some other things. Anyone else, please feel free to interject and/or correct.

• Upvote 3

I only got to hear about half of it, and I have a lousy memory . . . But I'll try to give you a few tidbits.

- Someone asked him about using McNulty at the goal line in that situation after Osborn had driven the team downfield. The way he expressed it made it sound like Coach C was behind that, but he said he has all confidence in Coach C. Apparently they had a package drawn up with McNulty in for goal line situations, but there wasn't much anybody could do when Fortenberry got knocked right back into McNulty.

- He talked about pre-game routines, how during the downtime (Friday night, I assume) players can watch movies (last weekend was Gladiator), watch the Friday night college football game, get therapy. He talked about how the players put on their shirt and tie ("because that's what we do now at North Texas") to rousing applause from the crowd there.

- Both he and George talked about their surprise that North Texas had never played a Big 10 team before.

- Osborn and McNulty are battling it out for the #2 QB position.

I'll try and think of some other things. Anyone else, please feel free to interject and/or correct.

Blah, blah, blah... Generic coach speak, blah, blah, blah

At least the second part.

-1 him all you want... but he's right. As secretive as Mac has shown himself to be, I think he makes a conscious effort to say as much as he can without saying anything at all. I think the only question he actually answered had to do with JJ playing on Saturday and it was a maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

I can elaborate a bit:

He couldn't stop building up the speed/tempo of their offense. The comparison between Houston's was made. Also, how it (the up tempo) is the exception to the rule among the Big 10.

I don't get to hear the first hour because of my work schedule. Oh well.

• Upvote 1

Blah, blah, blah... Generic coach speak, blah, blah, blah

At least the second part.

He did talk about not having the team Lollygag around Friday night and all day Saturday and how they better brush their teeth when they get up because he does not like any bottom of the birdcage breath. He likes to have a team walk for 10 minutes or so before breakfast on Saturdays to get the blood pumping.

• Upvote 1

-1 him all you want... but he's right. As secretive as Mac has shown himself to be, I think he makes a conscious effort to say as much as he can without saying anything at all. I think the only question he actually answered had to do with JJ playing on Saturday and it was a maybe.

Well, to be fair, he DOES remind us that he coached a Big 12 team, and that he coached on the National Champions Florida Gators...ph34r.gif

Seriously...he coached on the National Champions Florida Gators...he always says so...within 10 seconds of speaking....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Well, I was in attendance at the show, and I took some good info away from it. Heard some very positive comments about several players including Kokjohn, Chancellor, Boutwell, Attaberry, JJ, McNulty, Thompson and Osborne...I can't think of any others, but what i liked was he was praising in public! I liked that. He seemed to also be in a very good mood discussing the team and where it is right now. More humorous than in the past from where I sat.

Sure, lots of coach speak...ever listen to Stoops' OU show or Mac's Texas show? Ever hear Dodge, Dickey, etc. All were full of coach speak. I get that, and you just have to pick out the little tidbits of info that always seem to flow during the show.

I thought there was a good deal less of the "I have skins on the wall talk"...yes, some, but much less, and more positive comments about UNT players overall. I definitely enjoyed this session.

I do agree that Coach Mac is not as "open" about some of the things going on with the team...such as injuries...than some coaches in the past, but that's just the way Coach mac operates. He's not alone in that as far as coaches go...I guess we all just need to get used to that fact. He did give us tidbits about JJ probably not starting but getting some playing time Saturday, that DT was our #1 QB and that McNulty and Osborne were competing for #2, that the call was Chico's to put McNulty in on that goal line series, etc., etc. Seems to me that's pretty good "stuff".

I also got to meet some new Mean Green fans and alums and say hello to some long time fan and friends. How much better can an hour get for a Mean Green fan? Yep, I had a nice evening...even sold another Apogee coin!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well, I was in attendance at the show, and I took some good info away from it. Heard some very positive comments about several players including Kokjohn, Chancellor, Boutwell, Attaberry, JJ, McNulty, Thompson and Osborne...I can't think of any others, but what i liked was he was praising in public! I liked that. He seemed to also be in a very good mood discussing the team and where it is right now. More humorous than in the past from where I sat.

Sure, lots of coach speak...ever listen to Stoops' OU show or Mac's Texas show? Ever hear Dodge, Dickey, etc. All were full of coach speak. I get that, and you just have to pick out the little tidbits of info that always seem to flow during the show.

I thought there was a good deal less of the "I have skins on the wall talk"...yes, some, but much less, and more positive comments about UNT players overall. I definitely enjoyed this session.

I do agree that Coach Mac is not as "open" about some of the things going on with the team...such as injuries...than some coaches in the past, but that's just the way Coach mac operates. He's not alone in that as far as coaches go...I guess we all just need to get used to that fact. He did give us tidbits about JJ probably not starting but getting some playing time Saturday, that DT was our #1 QB and that McNulty and Osborne were competing for #2, that the call was Chico's to put McNulty in on that goal line series, etc., etc. Seems to me that's pretty good "stuff".

I also got to meet some new Mean Green fans and alums and say hello to some long time fan and friends. How much better can an hour get for a Mean Green fan? Yep, I had a nice evening...even sold another Apogee coin!

It was great meeting you and others last night. I was laughing when my daughter started getting all chummy with Margy MacCarney (who was incredibly nice). Certainly not shy, my daughter. She kept asking how I knew you Kram after we left. You made an impression on her. :) Thanks again. See you all again soon.

Go Mean Green

JRock