A Look at North Texas

Harry

With the Houston Cougars preparing to head to Denton for a clash with Sun Belt squad North Texas, Denton Record-Chronicle beat writer Brett Vito was kind enough to answer some questions about the Mean Green in advance of the game. Vito does a stellar job covering Mean Green athletics. You can find his work on the DR-C’s college page or on his Mean Green blog. Here’s what he had to say about the questions I posed to him:

Q: What impact has new head coach Dan McCarney and the new additions he brought to the coaching staff had on the culture of the football program?

Vito: The culture of North Texas’ program is totally different than when former head coach Todd Dodge was in charge. Dodge came from the high school ranks and didn’t adapt to the college game at all. UNT never tackled in practice and – go figure – didn’t tackle well in games. UNT just wasn’t a tough team mentally or physically. There was also a complete disregard for recruiting linemen and defensive players in general during his tenure. Dan McCarney has called what went on both on and off the field during the Dodge era a complete embarrassment and has gone about the long process of turning the North Texas program back into a college program again. UNT is trying to regain the hard-edge mentality that teams need to win in the college game, not to mention pay more attention to its performance academically. Yep, McCarney called the way UNT performed in the classroom under Dodge and embarrassment as well. The new coaches are making some headway. UNT’s players are performing better academically, and while UNT was still blown out in its season opener, the team didn’t fold like a cheap tent. We saw some fight in UNT that we haven’t seen in years.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2011/09/a-look-at-north-texas-with-beat-writer-brett-vito/

With the Houston Cougars preparing to head to Denton for a clash with Sun Belt squad North Texas, Denton Record-Chronicle beat writer Brett Vito was kind enough to answer some questions about the Mean Green in advance of the game. Vito does a stellar job covering Mean Green athletics. You can find his work on the DR-C’s college page or on his Mean Green blog. Here’s what he had to say about the questions I posed to him:

Q: What impact has new head coach Dan McCarney and the new additions he brought to the coaching staff had on the culture of the football program?

Vito: The culture of North Texas’ program is totally different than when former head coach Todd Dodge was in charge. Dodge came from the high school ranks and didn’t adapt to the college game at all. UNT never tackled in practice and – go figure – didn’t tackle well in games. UNT just wasn’t a tough team mentally or physically. There was also a complete disregard for recruiting linemen and defensive players in general during his tenure. Dan McCarney has called what went on both on and off the field during the Dodge era a complete embarrassment and has gone about the long process of turning the North Texas program back into a college program again. UNT is trying to regain the hard-edge mentality that teams need to win in the college game, not to mention pay more attention to its performance academically. Yep, McCarney called the way UNT performed in the classroom under Dodge and embarrassment as well. The new coaches are making some headway. UNT’s players are performing better academically, and while UNT was still blown out in its season opener, the team didn’t fold like a cheap tent. We saw some fight in UNT that we haven’t seen in years.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2011/09/a-look-at-north-texas-with-beat-writer-brett-vito/

sooo.... lets see. where is the positive spin for this interview?

EVERYONE, DON'T LOOK AT NUMBERS ON THE SCOREBOARD... JUST LOOK AT THE SHINY NEW STADIUM!

This may all be true, but is it really necessary to continue to hammer all things Dodge? Just state the positives Coach Mac has brought to the program and let the past go.

This. And I got blasted awhile back for being negative about Vito. I'm just a fan on a message board. He's supposed to be a professional writer.

Edited by eppy4life
  • Upvote 2

I recall him being quite vocal about his opinions of Dodge.

Well, your memory is a lot difference than mine. It was obvious that Vito did not get along with Dodge, but he never made the kind of statements, he now seems to mix in with every football blog. Being Vito was a big fan of the "great" DD, it is strange that he brings in criticism of Dodge on academics when Dickey is the one who got NT into APR trouble.

Dodge was a failure as a head football coach,there are few that doubt that. However, the vast majority also were in favor of his hiring, although far less probably admit it now. I think Vito does a good job but give it a rest. Vengeance is sweet but it seems to me if a good relationship with the NT athletic department is important, it doesn't help to continue to harp on what a bad hire Dodge was.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

your program under dodge seems similar to the ISU program prior to coach mac as well. coach mac is a great coach and fields very competitive teams. you guys will become a much better team with him at the helm. at one point he got ISU to #9 in the nation so if he is given the time to work his magic at UNT you guys will be very competitive (and you may even play us someday if the big 12 falls apart xD)

Brett, you sound just like some of the folks here on GMG.com who just cannot "let it go". This is a "new day" for the Mean Green and we should all look forward, not back. It strikes me as petty and childish to keep harping on the same old crap time and time again, especially when those "responsible" for any real or perceived grievances have long exited the scene. Good Gosh folks...Brett...get over it, get a life and let's all move on...there is so much good going on these days for UNT and the Mean Green. Time to grow up, let go of the childish stuff, and enjoy the new day.

• Upvote 1

The other beatwriter asked Vito's opinion on the change under McCarney, and Vito answered the question.

I think he restrained himself, if anything. If there's one thing we've learned about Vito from the podcasts... He can go on for a while when you ask him a question.

Brett, you sound just like some of the folks here on GMG.com who just cannot "let it go". This is a "new day" for the Mean Green and we should all look forward, not back. It strikes me as petty and childish to keep harping on the same old crap time and time again, especially when those "responsible" for any real or perceived grievances have long exited the scene. Good Gosh folks...Brett...get over it, get a life and let's all move on...there is so much good going on these days for UNT and the Mean Green. Time to grow up, let go of the childish stuff, and enjoy the new day.

At least he didn't mention losing his parking pass. :sword:

Funny. Doesn't mention that Dodges 1st quarter at UNT and DMacs 1st quarter at UnT produced the same results, except Dodge was coaching against Oklahome and DMac was coaching against a conference opponent.

Staedily losing respect for Mr. Vito.

Oklahoma vs. FIU is definitely apples vs. oranges, but I like to keep things simple: we we're prepared for either and got our behinds whooped.

Here's hoping that tomorrow is a train wreck...for Houston. :thumbsup:

Listening to him on the podcast the other night, you get the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else. I'm paraphrasing, but did he not basically say this?:

"I got the job at NT, then my wife got a great job...then the newspaper industry tanked, such that it made it hard to move around...."

He says that he likes it here, but I think it's pretty well known that his relationship with the old football coaching staff hit the fan with the whole racism/naacp reporting that he did. Seems like the old staff thought he was being too slanted/negative, then shut him out. I imagine that made his day-to-day working conditions less than fun. I'd venture to guess that he probably looked around at that time, but for one reason or another (see above) couldn't leave.

He's obviously relieved to get a fresh start with McCarney. The guy is a talented writer. When he's not spewing anti-Dodge hate, his stuff is usually top-notch---esp. when you compare it amongst his peers.

Edited by TIgreen01