Fouts Field On Game Day

drex

I was looking at the new stadium on the construction cam and noticed how hideous Fouts looks in the background. Should we figure out some way to camouflage Fouts on game days? Maybe a huge net like artillery batteries use in wartime.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I was looking at the new stadium on the construction cam and noticed how hideous Fouts looks in the background. Should we figure out some way to camouflage Fouts on game days? Maybe a huge net like artillery batteries use in wartime.

Dude...that is disrespectful as hell. You should be ashamed...there is a lot of history at Fouts, and it has served us well for years...

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 13

Dude...that is disrespectful as hell. You should be ashamed...there is a lot of history at Fouts, and it has served us well for years...

I think he was half joking, but the place is still the ugliest building on campus along with the GAB, Willis Library, and the Super Pit.

I honestly can't wait until they tear down Fouts.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

but the place is still the ugliest building on campus along with the GAB, Willis Library, and the Super Pit.

i know how dated the pit is, but for some reason that place is still a temple to me. Most likely due to mostly good memories... High school graduation, college graduation, odufa-who?

• Upvote 2

LOL. Great stuff....spit out my drink on the "huge net" line! +1's. Good memories for sure but damn it's an eyesore.

Yes, Fouts Field has warts. We should not lose sight (no pun intended) of where we have been so that we can fully appreciate where we are at this moment.

Fouts will always bring back great memories, and admittedly some not so great, but honor our heritage.

• Upvote 3

Leave it, use it for something else. You can never tell what will happen in the future to Fouts Field.

I can remember the old Barn that Auburn University used to play basketball in that was replaced in the late 60's/early 70's????

Auburn used it until it burned down on a Saturday night during an ESPN tevised game. Flames shooting over the Auburn student section.

People still talk about the night that the Barn burned down.

• Downvote 1

Fouts is a dump...ask anyone who didn't go to UNT....and most who went to UNT agree...el dumpo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fouts is a dump...ask anyone who didn't go to UNT....and most who went to UNT agree...el dumpo.

I understand the argumnet about Fouts being memorable to our fans becasue it was our home place to watch the Mean Green/Eagles play over many decades, but...

1.) That the university allowed that place to be our home for so long is why we are in the predicament that we are in today. It was such a poor facility that even on the rare visit we got from someone that people cared about (i.e, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, UH,etc..) their fans immediately bitched about what a dump the place was and we rarely ever got a return visit. Imagine trying to convince these people that are already against being in a conference with you to begin with that we really do belong in your conference, even though we play in a toilet of a stadium. Trust me, it screamed small time to the entire college football world.

2.) Seeing a toilet of a stadium get "enhanced" by adding aluminum bleachers that are even further away from the field than the rest of the stadium (which was further away from the field than any other stadium in America) was just awful. I realize the university had to do it on the cheap just to get back to 1-A in 1995, but, again, Fouts, to most of us, was a testament to doing things quarter-assed in regards to football and athletics. Seeing that dump across the street makes me realize just how far we have come, but it also makes me mad to think about how long this took to come to fruition and how it still may not be enough for our alma mater to ever be included into any conference affiliation with schools that our university should be aligned with. That's not even talking about the very real possibility that waht currently gets defined as FBS or AQ will most certainly change, probably for the worse, over the next decade, if not sooner. If we get relegated back to a new 1-aa type level again, we can blame this completely on the administrations that hated sports and wanted football to be abandoned here by just leaving us to play in an absolute dump for decades. To me, I would be just as happy as I could ever imagine being as a UNT fan to see that dump blown up ASAP!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I do not feel that way about Fouts, but for those who do there is good news. From the camera it appears that "Jumbo Jr." and the alumni center will obscure the view of Fouts from the new stadium. :goodjob:

I understand the argumnet about Fouts being memorable to our fans becasue it was our home place to watch the Mean Green/Eagles play over many decades, but...

1.) That the university allowed that place to be our home for so long is why we are in the predicament that we are in today. It was such a poor facility that even on the rare visit we got from someone that people cared about (i.e, SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, UH,etc..) their fans immediately bitched about what a dump the place was and we rarely ever got a return visit. Imagine trying to convince these people that are already against being in a conference with you to begin with that we really do belong in your conference, even though we play in a toilet of a stadium. Trust me, it screamed small time to the entire college football world.

2.) Seeing a toilet of a stadium get "enhanced" by adding aluminum bleachers that are even further away from the field than the rest of the stadium (which was further away from the field than any other stadium in America) was just awful. I realize the university had to do it on the cheap just to get back to 1-A in 1995, but, again, Fouts, to most of us, was a testament to doing things quarter-assed in regards to football and athletics. Seeing that dump across the street makes me realize just how far we have come, but it also makes me mad to think about how long this took to come to fruition and how it still may not be enough for our alma mater to ever be included into any conference affiliation with schools that our university should be aligned with. That's not even talking about the very real possibility that waht currently gets defined as FBS or AQ will most certainly change, probably for the worse, over the next decade, if not sooner. If we get relegated back to a new 1-aa type level again, we can blame this completely on the administrations that hated sports and wanted football to be abandoned here by just leaving us to play in an absolute dump for decades. To me, I would be just as happy as I could ever imagine being as a UNT fan to see that dump blown up ASAP!!

So it was Fouts all alone that held NT back from greatness, not fan apathy, non-athletics friendly administrations or general lack of support. I really like the argument of opponent fans not liking the venue. Have you ever been to UT, OU or the like and watched in those premium priced awful visitor seats. Too narrow to sit, too far away to see, and don't mention the major hike to get there.

The facts are that Fouts was one of the more visible of many symptoms of a very poor athletic program. All are glad that Fouts is a thing of the past but to blame a stadium for NT's major ills is naive at best. The horrible aluminum bleachers served their purpose or does anyone think NT would be better off remaining in the Southland? NT athletics has suffered from poor leadership, lack of resources and in a lot of ways just to bad luck. I highly doubt a bright new stadium would have made a lot of difference in the program until the other issues were improved. Did SMU improve after the building of Ford or was it years after when they paid two million to a football coach? Did NT dominate Texas basketball when the Super Pit was the best collegian arenas in the state?

Sure there is a lot of nostalgia connected to Fouts, but I doubt anyone is not happy to see it retired if not demolished. There is no better athletic memories than basketball games at the old Pit, but it had to be replaced. NT had to build a new stadium to move forward but it is far from a panacea in itself. The greatest aspect of the new stadium is that it's construction as only a part of a lot of very positve changes going on at NT.