Fouts Memories

untjim1995

Best: Baylor 03... Also, I can't remember exactly when it was, probably 03, but I think we beat mtsu to win the Belt and the representative from the belt, I think he was the president, sounded like he was drunk over the PA system. Awesome win+good laughs. Felt bad for the guy when I listened to the ticket the following week, though. Those guys are brutal.

Worst: Tulsa game a couple years back where we got completely trounced. I had high hopes for that season, and that was a real let down to me.

• Upvote 1

best (remembering that this is Fouts only, no bowl games) -- Fla State, SMU, Baylor, NMex State, Oregon State, Utah State, Navy, McNeese State, UTA, Middle Tenn, Ark State, et al

worst -- Cincy, Tulsa, Fla State (same as above), Navy (same as above), New Mexico (last second td), S. Florida, S. Miss. (mud bowl)

the two worst weather games we ever had, we lost.....21-20 snow bowl to FSU (should have won)....and 22-0 mud bowl to S. Miss. (could have been worse, they kicked our butts)

Edited by dentUNiTe
  • Upvote 1

1990 SMU and the 02 NMSt game when the goalpost came down, both teams were playing for the Conf title. Back and forth game, Booger recovered a fumble at their 1 late in the 4th to seal it.

The Tulsa game in 05 was a ball buster. We scored the first points of the game on a safety, then Tulsa rolled up 54 unanswered. It was the beginning of the end.

• Upvote 1

Best: Several, but the nod goes to the 2002 NMSU win. The atmosphere in Fouts was ELECTRIC!

Worst: The night we had high expectations, scored first, then took it in the shorts from Tulsa. A major humiliation.

Exactly my sentiment. The game against NMSU in 02' where it was for all the SBC marbles. Great game and great atmosphere. We were also treated to the best all time "Emergency Brake of the Week" with Ron Maestri's (sp?) public inva taaaaaa shuuuun to the North Texas...no wait....New Orleans Bowl!!! Great night. Made a lot of fans into believers that evening.

Tulsa game was my lowest moment as a Mean Green fan. Humiliation of the highest order. Got so many of my family and friends to attend that game because expectations were so high for the team that year. As someone else in the thread mentioned, that game really served as an omen of things to come for the program. Still trying to dig out of the hole that that game started.

• Upvote 1

Tulsa game was my lowest moment as a Mean Green fan. Humiliation of the highest order. Got so many of my family and friends to attend that game because expectations were so high for the team that year. As someone else in the thread mentioned, that game really served as an omen of things to come for the program. Still trying to dig out of the hole that that game started.

Never Forget.........

49503119.DSC_7648_600mad.jpg

I thought this was only Fouts games that we saw ... not just any UNT game.

--One I remember very well was the game against FIU.. that went into several overtimes.... Other that than some games in 1965.. again Tulsa and Louisville.. lots of exciting plays and players then... just before the Joe Green era. They were interesting largely because they were passing games and very NFL style when the SWC [except Baylor with Trull-Elkins] tended to run so much. I did enjoy the final game at Fouts against Kansas State, it was a loss but a well played exciting game.

Worst game--- about any Dickey's final year or Dodge era when the scores were ridiculous... especialy the Tulsa one I saw..

Best anywhere that I saw: Against Texas Tech [tortilla game about 1989] went with wife and kids and we made a big comeback and won... wife is from TxTech.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

Best anywhere that I saw: Against Texas Tech [tortilla game about 1989] went with wife and kids and we made a big comeback and won... wife is from TxTech.

I was also in attendance for this one and it was a horrible day for my family. I grew up in a texas tech family and was required to go to every home game. My parents moved us to Denton when I was still young enough to avoid the brainwashing... my older brother wasn't so lucky.

Sadly, my sister married an aggie and hasn't been heard from since :(

• Upvote 1

Worst Game - 2009, UNT VS Army

for no other reason than icing our own kicker twice on the same attempt.

My memory gets so foggy. I didn't attend that game, yet I would have sworn on my life that I had witnessed the three consecutive time outs at the end of the game resulting in a missed field goal. I thought maybe it was the 44-40 loss to FAU that year, but I couldn't find a detailed play-by-play of the game. The only thing I remember differently was a complete indecision between going for a touchdown that would have had game ending effect on the scoreboard or a field goal that wouldn't have accomplished anything. I thought it was UNT being down by 4, but maybe it was UNT up by 3 instead.

• Upvote 1

Wow Jim, you just landed yourself a Hall of Fame thread bro! +1's on the house!

Best memory at Fouts would be in 2001 when we beat MTSU to start an eventual 5 game winning streak. MTSU came into the game as the team to beat in the Belt, they had beaten Vanerderbilt that year and were 5-0. We had just suffered a humiliating loss on the road against Monroe and were a miserable 0-5. Many good fans on this site will recall the infamous bus trip back from Monroe. I remember the game being during the day, and that it was incredibly bright on that day. I also remember vividly wide receiver Jamel Branch having a huge day, and actually scoring a key touchdown as a running back. I also remember interviewing Brad Kassell after the game and how touched I was by his comments. I also remember thinking at the time, wow we have just beaten the best team in the conference and if we win the remainder of our games we would get the head to head and go to the bowl which is exactly how it played out!

The worst memory in Fouts would have to be the 2005, 54-2 loss to Tulsa. We were sky high after a big road win against MTSU. Just an absolute pitiful performance and stark reminder of how far we had fallen from the glory years. Bigger than that, in our glory years, Tulsa was on the verge of shutting their entire football program down! And yet we took our bowl success and instead of build on it, we got drunk on success, became complacent and allowed teams like Tulsa and La. Tech to take the best players out of our own backyard.

I thought this was only Fouts games that we saw ... not just any UNT game.

--One I remember very well was the game against FIU.. that went into several overtimes.... Other that than some games in 1965.. again Tulsa and Louisville.. lots of exciting plays and players then... just before the Joe Green era. They were interesting largely because they were passing games and very NFL style when the SWC [except Baylor with Trull-Elkins] tended to run so much. I did enjoy the final game at Fouts against Kansas State, it was a loss but a well played exciting game.

Worst game--- about any Dickey's final year or Dodge era when the scores were ridiculous... especialy the Tulsa one I saw..

I was at the Tech game in 1989?. We stayed in the Lubbock Inn across the street from campus. The next morning I came down to breakfast wearing a UNT shirt and I can honestly tell you that I've never received so many dirty looks in my life.

• Upvote 1

I can get to the 2001 article link in the way back machine but cant pull that actual article up unfortunately! It should be somewhere on the server. I'll keep working on it and will let you know.

best game...kansas state...great game, i got to play at halftime one last time, and it closed fouts (although our flag football game will make it official)

worst...tulsa...no question...complete nut wrenching without pain meds...totally sucked...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1

The Navy game of 07' will always be the best home game of recent years for me. My Grandfather was in the Navy and it was a fun way for us to kind of "talk smack" that day in November. The record setting day was an extra benefit.

I have to add this was a toss up. The SMU game in 06' was great as well. I wish Woody Wilson had developed into something big.

• Upvote 1

These are all great--I remember most of them. The Oregon State game was so great because that was our first win back at the 1-A level and we never quit that day, even though OSU really blew it late in that game on some bone-headed calls on the offensive side of the ball. The Utah State game in 1997 was great just because Jason Mills ended his career with a win at home with a huge day. MTSU, NMSU, and SMU were all great wins, too.

For me, as a 1-a team, I agree with everyone else about that Tulsa game. Tulsa had done something that we have finally caught on to here at UNT--they hired a guy with great enthusiasm that could recruit and gameplan against anyone. Kragthorpe knew that he could win at Tulsa and he knew how important it was for recruiting purposes to absolutely crush UNT anytime they played each other. That game single-handedly marked the end of our days as the best team in the SBC, even if it was OOC. Everyone else knew that our offensive gameplan was too vanilla to stay at the top, along with the fact that our recruiting dropped big time.

Looking forward to games in our new stadium and making new memories, just hoping for a lot more good ones than bad!! I just hope we can get more OOC home games in future years like we have scheduled this year. I know that Army and SMU are scheduled for games in Denton in years to come, but I hope that we don't get stuck with only one OOC home game again, like we did most years at Fouts. I fear the home schedule that includes one mid-major or FCS school as the only home game, but hopefully RV is ont he horn to other schools like Indiana and Houston to get games here. Not that the SBC games are bad, but lets face it, we aren't going to see a full house for most of our conference mates. To get the attention of the apathetic alumni/Denton County resident, we need wins over OOC teams that people have heard of, and getting them at home would go a long way into making those great game watching memories!!

• Upvote 2

Best:

1. Win over SMU in 1990, and the bench clearing brawl that occured after the Mean Green blocked a field goal and nearly ran it back as time expired at the end of the first quarter. Fouts was packed that night, and people were having to be asked to move out of the aisle's in the stands.

2. 0-5 North Texas beating the 5-0 MTSU in 2001. The start of something really special for the next three and a half years.

3. NMSU '02. Truly a special night for everyone who was there.

4. Baylor '03. One of the greatest ass kickings in Fouts history.

Worst:

1.SFA 1988. After starting the year with wins over Texas Tech and Texas(*) and being ranked #1 nationally in 1-AA, and earning a ton of respect from metroplex media and fans, the Mean Green loses on it's homecoming to SFA, nullifying all the momentum built earlier in the season. NT would go on to finish the year with a drubbing over Rice down in Houston, but lose 7-0 to Marshall in the first round of the playoffs.

2. Loss to Tulsa

(*)tU CHEATS!88nontdcatch2.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

best: either baylor in 03, or SMU in 06.

worst: too many to name unfortunately, but i must say, i HATED that game against navy. i HATE it when football scores could easily look like basketball scores and defense isn't even an afterthought. the fly over was awesome though. for the record, i also hate really low scoring games too.