Official Capacity Of The New Stadium Is..........................

SUMG

I am pretty sure that number does not include potential SRO tickets. If the stadium is overflowing, capacity should be somewhere around 31,500, or something like that. Students can be crammed in really tight, and those grassy areas in front of the scoreboard should be able to hold some people as well (if they choose).

I am pretty sure that number does not include potential SRO tickets. If the stadium is overflowing, capacity should be somewhere around 31,500, or something like that. Students can be crammed in really tight, and those grassy areas in front of the scoreboard should be able to hold some people as well (if they choose).

Not to mention the observation deck on top of the scoreboard. It looks like they're starting to install the elevators now.

April Fools! :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just glad we are getting the new stadium. I'll wait to complain when we are filled to maximum capacity every game and have to turn fans away for season tickets. I'm fine with 30,850.

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 3

I say tear it down and start over whenever we see that we're actually committed to being a successful Division 1 program.

And also correct a few things, such as the student side seats... that could be built up a bit higher and is it to much to ask for some backs to the seats? It cannot cost that much more... if your going to put 70 million into a stadium you could at least throw in the 10k to put backings on the seats. Also the "wings" in the end zone could use a backing. It would look so much nicer to drive by on the highway and see a green backing to them, or a mural instead of seeing the steel bars

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

And also correct a few things, such as the student side seats... that could be built up a bit higher and is it to much to ask for some backs to the seats? It cannot cost that much more... if your going to put 70 million into a stadium you could at least throw in the 10k to put backings on the seats. Also the "wings" in the end zone could use a backing. It would look so much nicer to drive by on the highway and see a green backing to them, or a mural instead of seeing the steel bars

It is costing closer to $80 million actually, adding those chairback bleachers would have cost a hell of a lot more than $10,000, and they did not put as much money into the wing because it's long term status in the stadium with potential expansion is questionable (at least that is what I've heard). I'm not a huge fan of the steel showing either, but at least the actual stands themselves are concrete in the endzone and not metal. It is a strange shape, so bricking the back of it or putting up concrete for a mural would look just as funky. The decision to paint the steel support beams green was a great one.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's way better than fouts. Nuff said.

• Upvote 2

It's way better than fouts. Nuff said.

Gagree. And like somebody said on another thread I'd rather start out with a 30k seat stadium that we consistantly fill and in turn looks really great on T.V. than a 40k seat stadium with empty spaces all over the place. I too cannot wait for the day that we expand to 50k and have a packed house every home game but until we can do that I am perfectly happy with what we have.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

+1 UNTP1! I swear, some of you complain because you don't know any better. Thank you Fouts for years of memories, but THANK YOU to RV and the current administration for finally committing to a stadium that the students, alumni, lettermen and players can really be proud of and not being the punchline for stadium jokes anymore.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It is costing closer to $80 million actually, adding those chairback bleachers would have cost a hell of a lot more than $10,000, and they did not put as much money into the wing because it's long term status in the stadium with potential expansion is questionable (at least that is what I've heard). I'm not a huge fan of the steel showing either, but at least the actual stands themselves are concrete in the endzone and not metal. It is a strange shape, so bricking the back of it or putting up concrete for a mural would look just as funky. The decision to paint the steel support beams green was a great one.

According to RV we are right on target with our budget for the stadium but I still agree that we can't afford the chairbacks at this time and it would diminish the value of the club level seating. Maybe some day when there is a waiting line for all club seats it might be feasible to have chairbacks.

Since the 'wing zone' is not permanent I also don't see putting a lot of money into how it looks from the interstate. There is already some brick (the back of the concession stands) so just painting the steel green should really help the looks.

By the way, could any seating (even on a temporary basis) be added between each stand and the wing zone?

Since the 'wing zone' is not permanent I also don't see putting a lot of money into how it looks from the interstate. There is already some brick (the back of the concession stands) so just painting the steel green should really help the looks.

By the way, could any seating (even on a temporary basis) be added between each stand and the wing zone?

I'll see if I can find where I heard/read it, but I thougt RV had said that the "wing zone" is part of the long term plan for the stadium and not something planned to be scrapped when expansion takes place. I think folks made the assumption that it was temporary because of the metal structure supporting it. I'll see if I can find this, but if anyone else has a link, please post.

I'll see if I can find where I heard/read it, but I thougt RV had said that the "wing zone" is part of the long term plan for the stadium and not something planned to be scrapped when expansion takes place. I think folks made the assumption that it was temporary because of the metal structure supporting it. I'll see if I can find this, but if anyone else has a link, please post.

I think the video below is what I was thinking of. At the end, Rick says "we can take the current configuration, move some light standards, add some seats, and get to 50,000 without tearing anything out and that's where we plan to be."

http://video.dallas.cbslocal.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?clipId1=5614810&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&at1=Sport&vt1=v&h1=New%20Stadium%20Well%20Underway%20At%20The%20Universi​ty%20Of%20North%20Texas&d1=362366&redirUrl=http://video.dallas.cbslocal.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv&rnd=90887569

I'm just happy we'll no longer have to rent generators to host a football game.

I'll be smiling ear to ear come Sept 10th, proud as a new parent, ready to witness the phoenix rise, with no complaints about the entire facility.

Edited by FloMoGrad
  • Upvote 1