I'm Just Not As Confident As Some Of You

emmitt01

Many have posted that no movement is good movement when it comes to the MWC. Why are we so sure? Has there been ANY evidence that we would be a viable candidate in the future. Sure, there's the "we need to be in Texas" statement that was made in an article regarding the MWC...where were all the Texas candidates being bandied about in the last few days? All I saw was SJSU and USU. Are we taking a quote from and article and trying to make it into a lifeline? And what about CUSA? We ASSUME that if UCF or Houston goes Big East we would be on a short list of replacements...are we? What's to keep the eastern CUSA teams from demanding an East Coast team and leaving us (and La Tech) out in the cold? So far I see no veiled references to us or even a consensus among the blogosphere that we're next in line. I've seen a lot of piecing together "what ifs" and "media market" logic by people on THIS board.

I personally think no movement in MWC is bad movement. If USU and SJSU had been pulled away the WAC would have been DOA. Benson would have made one more run at us, ULL, maybe Troy or someone else...and then the mass defections TO the Sun Belt would have started. A stronger Belt would have been, in my opinion, the best we could hope for right now. Sorry folks, bashing our current conference home and talking about how any place is better is not going to make our fairy god mother come save us.

Just how I feel based on the only strong or remotely concrete conjecture I've been able to piece together.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

UTEP was under heavy consideration as well but wanted to stay in CUSA. I do think the MWC will expand soon, and I think it will also involve USU. The last team to be involved is what is in question. The choice could be any one of: UNT, NMSU, SJSU, UTEP (if they change their mind), or even Idaho. Is thinking we will get the invite wishful thinking? Probably. I would not however completely rule it out...

UTEP was under heavy consideration as well but wanted to stay in CUSA. I do think the MWC will expand soon, and I think it will also involve USU. The last team to be involved is what is in question. The choice could be any one of: UNT, NMSU, SJSU, UTEP (if they change their mind), or even Idaho. Is thinking we will get the invite wishful thinking? Probably. I would not however completely rule it out...

agree...time is on our side...time to get in the press...with the new coaching and president...time to work the conferences from the top down...increase attendance, win some games...get our games and stadium on TV...so this delay in MWC adding teams is probably good for UNT...who knows, they may be waiting to see what happens with UNT because they really would like us in the conference for the Texas coverage...we are a very big school you know...very large!

Many have posted that no movement is good movement when it comes to the MWC. Why are we so sure? Has there been ANY evidence that we would be a viable candidate in the future. Sure, there's the "we need to be in Texas" statement that was made in an article regarding the MWC...where were all the Texas candidates being bandied about in the last few days? All I saw was SJSU and USU. Are we taking a quote from and article and trying to make it into a lifeline? And what about CUSA? We ASSUME that if UCF or Houston goes Big East we would be on a short list of replacements...are we? What's to keep the eastern CUSA teams from demanding an East Coast team and leaving us (and La Tech) out in the cold? So far I see no veiled references to us or even a consensus among the blogosphere that we're next in line. I've seen a lot of piecing together "what ifs" and "media market" logic by people on THIS board.

I personally think no movement in MWC is bad movement. If USU and SJSU had been pulled away the WAC would have been DOA. Benson would have made one more run at us, ULL, maybe Troy or someone else...and then the mass defections TO the Sun Belt would have started. A stronger Belt would have been, in my opinion, the best we could hope for right now. Sorry folks, bashing our current conference home and talking about how any place is better is not going to make our fairy god mother come save us.

Just how I feel based on the only strong or remotely concrete conjecture I've been able to piece together.

Well, I did a Google search yesterday and typed in "UNT" and "Mountain West Conference." The only only info that turned up came directly from this board. That tells you all you need to know. Sigh.

Well, I did a Google search yesterday and typed in "UNT" and "Mountain West Conference." The only only info that turned up came directly from this board. That tells you all you need to know. Sigh.

I just googled "north texas mountain west conference" and got quite a few hits and nothing from this board on the first page. However, it was mostly news about how the MWC raided the WAC and the WAC wants to get North Texas. There was a article in "SB Nation" that came up from 1/25/11 mentioning that the MWC considered NT as a "filler."

One bit of trivial that came from the search I found interesting. Per the MWC Official site, the first Mountain West kick off was Sept 2, 1999, at 7:07 as North Texas kicked off to UNLV. We're already in their record books!

No, I don't think we will be invited to join the MWC any time soon. But the more people I know refer to out school as North Texas than UNT.

I just googled "north texas mountain west conference" and got quite a few hits and nothing from this board on the first page. However, it was mostly news about how the MWC raided the WAC and the WAC wants to get North Texas. There was a article in "SB Nation" that came up from 1/25/11 mentioning that the MWC considered NT as a "filler."

One bit of trivial that came from the search I found interesting. Per the MWC Official site, the first Mountain West kick off was Sept 2, 1999, at 7:07 as North Texas kicked off to UNLV. We're already in their record books!

No, I don't think we will be invited to join the MWC any time soon. But the more people I know refer to out school as North Texas than UNT.

And North Texas being a "filler?" :rolleyes: that would "only" give the Mountain West Conference its largest TV market? :blink:

Gol' darn it, who among our leadership can just get MWC Commish' Craig Thompson to just fly in for a day to visit and see all the synergy happening now at the Mean Green Village as well as the UNT System's "main" campus in Denton. That's where it will all begin for us & the MWC.

So very obvious that something is just flat out wrong with our NCAA conference powers that be think tanks. Having lived in Honolulu at one brief time in my life all you have out there is half nekid' girls tanning at Waikiki, Nanakuli and North Island beaches every day at lunch time and beyond. You want to be part of a conference that has "THAT" going on among one of its schools? :goodjob::thumbsu::bow:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I wished the MWC would have killed the WAC, then the SBC could have gone to 12 with LA Tech and UTSA.

But here's what the MWC holding off on expansion tell me.

1. They want to see how their new alignment works out.

2. They can always expand later; Utah State, San Jose State, and Idaho made it clear they would jump if asked.

3. The MWC doesn't want to add chumps

4. The door is still open for the MWC to take a CUSA team to open up a spot for us.

The longer they wait, the more time we have to get our act together.

I have raged on UNT administration in the past, but one thing I am very confident about is that if there is any opportunity to lobby with officials of desired conferences at this point our people are doing it. I don't think North Texas can be kept down much longer. In some respects we are not down. At least we are recognized as a National University. We belong at least with the Memphis and Houstons of the world and someday will be much higher in many ways. The main thing we have to watch out for is the soulless UT system droppings and their PUF support. This is a challenge but Tech has managed and they are in the worst location possible so it can be done.

I did a Google search yesterday for Kim Kardashian thong bikini.

• Downvote 1