Wac Will Come Calling Again

UNTflyer

I say we stay in the belt. This conference is growing and starting to earn respect, in a few years I think people will be wanting to move to the Sunbelt!

I'm not sure that we've had a Top 50 team, much less a Top 25. The conference schedule is not conducive to have top teams and our attendance won't get many home and home games that we can win. That, and most teams don't have the budget to get a first class coaching staff. There is not enough payout from the NCAA for much improvement. They would have to hit it lucky. The Belt and the MAC will be bottom feeders for longer than I have left on this earth.

Here's something that will give you a chuckle. The consensus on the WACky board is that NT should jump at the chance to join them because...wait for it...UTSA and schools like Lamar and Coastal Carolina will lead them back to being a first rate conference soon. Theyre velebrating the decision to grant them a waiver to just REMIN A CONFERENCE as if its an AQ invite.

We have been given grief for years because we were the league of upstarts and castoffs...now the WAC is gonna build a juggernaut of a conference out of 1AA's?

Wow.

I say we stay in the belt. This conference is growing and starting to earn respect, in a few years I think people will be wanting to move to the Sunbelt!

I don't know how to say this without coming across as an arrogant *ss... and have tried and tried re-typing it, but to no avail. When Dan McCarney was hired at UNT I had no idea what conference you were in. I had to look up the SBC just to see what schools are in it. You should get out of the SBC if the WAC offers again. There is only so much respect that can be earned in the SBC, even by winning every game by 50 points.

The WAC may or may not be a better football conference than the SBC, but the level of respect for the SBC will still be less than a re-vamped WAC on name alone. EVERY college football fan knows about the WAC... the SBC... not so much. The WAC name alone is a bump up in the college football pecking order. As an average Joe football fan, your program will get noticed more in the WAC than they will in the SBC even winning it consistently.

Ask yourself this... Is there ANY school in the SBC that would accept a WAC invite if offered? If the answer to that is yes, you should know what UNT's answer should be if asked again.

Get out of the SBC... bottom line from an impartial observer with no dog in this fight. I may be totally wrong, ignorant, misinformed, have completely ridiculous pre-concieved notions of the SBC, be an AQ elitist homer, etc., but it doesn't matter. Unfortunately perception is reality, and I guarantee that most other football fans with no rooting interest in either conference feel like i do. The WAC trumps the SBC on name alone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't know how to say this without coming across as an arrogant *ss... and have tried and tried re-typing it, but to no avail. When Dan McCarney was hired at UNT I had no idea what conference you were in. I had to look up the SBC just to see what schools are in it. You should get out of the SBC if the WAC offers again. There is only so much respect that can be earned in the SBC, even by winning every game by 50 points.

The WAC may or may not be a better football conference than the SBC, but the level of respect for the SBC will still be less than a re-vamped WAC on name alone. EVERY college football fan knows about the WAC... the SBC... not so much. The WAC name alone is a bump up in the college football pecking order. As an average Joe football fan, your program will get noticed more in the WAC than they will in the SBC even winning it consistently.

Ask yourself this... Is there ANY school in the SBC that would accept a WAC invite if offered? If the answer to that is yes, you should know what UNT's answer should be if asked again.

Get out of the SBC... bottom line from an impartial observer with no dog in this fight. I may be totally wrong, ignorant, misinformed, have completely ridiculous pre-concieved notions of the SBC, be an AQ elitist homer, etc., but it doesn't matter. Unfortunately perception is reality, and I guarantee that most other football fans with no rooting interest in either conference feel like i do. The WAC trumps the SBC on name alone.

This is not going to go well.

party0052.gif

Edited by Rudy

Hehehe... yea, probably won't go well... but it is what it is. :P

Just throwing out my opinion, for better or worse. Not right or wrong, just throwing it out there...

:sword:

Wel I'll go ahead and answer in an attempt to curb the lynching of our new friend from Iowa.

We were already in the WAC once, when it was called the Big West. It is the conference we left to join the SBC. While the WAC still carries the "name" recognition, for now, it will lose it very soon. They have even been getting turned down by Montana. TSU adnd UTSA only joined because they are determined to move to FBS and the SBC has decided not to bring anymore schools from the FCS for the time being. When we were in the Big West, our athletic program nearly died, literally. It cost the university too much to send the "Olympic Sports" as they are now called to play out there. The WAC had a few decent teams and a couple of good ones, Boise, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno. Now those teams are bolting to the MWC and Hawaii has chosen to go indy in football. So it makes even less sense to go to what essentially is the Big West all over again, minus the best schools. While travel wcosts would be more in the MWC, the schools are definitely a step up, so it would be beneficial to NT. Even the WAC's biggest blowhards on this board have abandoned that ship.

I am totally wrong, ignorant, misinformed, have completely ridiculous pre-concieved notions of the SBC, be an AQ elitist homer, etc., but it doesn't matter cuz I'm am not intellectually taking into consideration how bad the WAC will suck with their new team alignment and forever be the bottom dwellers of FBS football!

Updated quote nough said!

Wel I'll go ahead and answer in an attempt to curb the lynching of our new friend from Iowa.

We were already in the WAC once, when it was called the Big West. It is the conference we left to join the SBC. While the WAC still carries the "name" recognition, for now, it will lose it very soon. They have even been getting turned down by Montana. TSU adnd UTSA only joined because they are determined to move to FBS and the SBC has decided not to bring anymore schools from the FCS for the time being. When we were in the Big West, our athletic program nearly died, literally. It cost the university too much to send the "Olympic Sports" as they are now called to play out there. The WAC had a few decent teams and a couple of good ones, Boise, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno. Now those teams are bolting to the MWC and Hawaii has chosen to go indy in football. So it makes even less sense to go to what essentially is the Big West all over again, minus the best schools. While travel wcosts would be more in the MWC, the schools are definitely a step up, so it would be beneficial to NT. Even the WAC's biggest blowhards on this board have abandoned that ship.

Ahhh... That makes perfect sense. I told you I was ignorant... hehehe :D

My concern is that no matter what you guys do in the SBC, you'll be fighting a conference perception problem. Most college football fans are about as in tune to the nuances you pointed out as I am. Which is basically zero. Believe me, you guys are going to get tired of arguing with people on behalf of the SBC. You are going to be telling guys like me what's what forever... it's an image issue that will be hard to shake.

Based on what you told me above, I'd agree that the WAC is not a place you want to be.

Ahhh... That makes perfect sense. I told you I was ignorant... hehehe :D

My concern is that no matter what you guys do in the SBC, you'll be fighting a conference perception problem. Most college football fans are about as in tune to the nuances you pointed out as I am. Which is basically zero. Believe me, you guys are going to get tired of arguing with people on behalf of the SBC. You are going to be telling guys like me what's what forever... it's an image issue that will be hard to shake.

Based on what you told me above, I'd agree that the WAC is not a place you want to be.

Well Rome wasn't built in a day. Granted, the SBC won't become the next Ottoman Empire, but the image is slowly improving. We had 3 bowl teams for the first time this season and went 2-1. If the WACky continues its trend, it won't be long until we have passed the WACky in perception.

Ahh hell, the negative monster is back. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3