Who Are Y'all Opening Up The New Stadium Against?

Metropolis777

I've heard rumor that y'all are opening up the new stadium against Houston on Sept 3 or 10. Is this correct?

I ask because TCU is scrambling to fill spots thanks to BYU leaving the conference and Tech probably backing out on a game with us this year. Right now we only have SMU & Baylor solidified on the OOC schedule next year and will need 3 more games.

I'd love to see TCU in Denton to open the new stadium on Sept 10.

• Downvote 2

If we were to play TCU it would be a sure sell out as I am positive TCU fans would have no trouble making the 45 minute drive up 35W.

I do wish we would play more Metroplex teams as travel to the games is easy on all parties involved. The UTA series has been fun to watch in basketball.

I've heard rumor that y'all are opening up the new stadium against Houston on Sept 3 or 10. Is this correct?

I ask because TCU is scrambling to fill spots thanks to BYU leaving the conference and Tech probably backing out on a game with us this year. Right now we only have SMU & Baylor solidified on the OOC schedule next year and will need 3 more games.

I'd love to see TCU in Denton to open the new stadium on Sept 10.

[/q. we have tried to schedule football with them but tcu won't play us.

we have tried to schedule football with them but tcu won't play us.

Not entirely accurate.

TCU has developed an OOC policy since the 2001 TCU at UNT game of scheduling only home and homes with BCS schools, SMU, Houston, Army, and Navy. We are willing to go play the occasional one and done for a large paycheck (see Clemson 09) but we only have offered FBS level money for one and dones at our place.

This all was spurred by the fact that the A/C was not working in the visitor's locker room at that TCU/UNT game in 2001. Now that y'all have new facilities, we are more likely to give a home and home due to the proximity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not entirely accurate.

TCU has developed an OOC policy since the 2001 TCU at UNT game of scheduling only home and homes with BCS schools, SMU, Houston, Army, and Navy. We are willing to go play the occasional one and done for a large paycheck (see Clemson 09) but we only have offered FBS level money for one and dones at our place.

This all was spurred by the fact that the A/C was not working in the visitor's locker room at that TCU/UNT game in 2001. Now that y'all have new facilities, we are more likely to give a home and home due to the proximity.

well, thanks for throwing us a bone...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not entirely accurate.

Its funny how this stuff works. When I talk to my TCU friends, it was always about the fact that Todd Dodge wouldn't schedule TCU becasue we weren't ready to play them. When I talk to my UNT friends, it is always about the fact that TCU won't play us because they ahve nothing to gain.

It would do wonders for these two schools, along with SMU, to play each other every year in OOC, since no one wants to be in a conference with each other (except for us, of course, we would LOVE to be in one with either of them). Travel costs are cheap, get a good draw at the gate, and solid coverage from the local media that always thinks Big XII first, then AQ-BCS, then TCU/SMU, then, maybe, UNT, if there is still time.

The biggest hurdle to us playing TCU is that TCU doesn't need us, nor do their fans want to play us. Not because they are worried about losing, but because they think that a game against us does nothing to help their schedule. Back in 2002, we played in Ft. Worth and lost 16-10 to a very solid TCU team. We were also good, too, as we would go on to win our bowl game. Yet all we ever heard during the game and after that game from TCU people was how they hated playing us, that they should only schedule games against other old SWC teams, that at least are alums care about playing those schools. My guess is that we will see TCU play us again when they drop down from their current perch and IF we are still around our perpetual level of the last 30 years, kind of like SMU.

Given the TCU administration's aversion to the old non-air conditioned Fouts, I bet they would really hate a trip to Austin where they put you in the sun for an afternoon game in September and the Horns players sit comfortably on the sideline in water cooled circulating body suits. Of course, no consideration to the visiting team to furnish them with the water cooled suits. Great hospitality by the Horns.

• Upvote 2

The TCU/SMU/UNT rivalry should've been established a decade ago. We missed our opportunity to create something great for the metroplex.

What do you mean "we"? It takes all sides to create that match up and rivalry. UNT may be willing, but if SMU and TCU, etc. are not or have some "problems" doing home and away games with the three, then try as one might...it's not going to happen. You make this sound like a one-way street where UNT headed the wrong way and everyone else was willing. I dare say that is not the case. If, by "WE" you mean all three I am in 100% agreement with you. The challenges and problems making this happen go way back and much further back than just an A/C that may or may not have been working the last time TCU played at Fouts. If that was all it was, there could certainly have been an agreement that it would be working as well as it would be in the home locker room for the "next game". Too many folks have too many "reasons" for all this, but the bottom line is...as you so clearly stated...opportunity missed for all three schools to create a great metroplex rivalry where the fans from all three schools could easily travel and enjoy the games.

Alas...what might have been if all three were willing to work together. I think the "blame" might be able to be spread across all three...with our "good friends" in Dallas shouldering perhaps more than a third. Just sayin.....Now, I think the fine folks in Ft. Worth see themselves as far and away the better of other two (well, being #2 in the nation might just do that to a fan base and a program for good reason-congrats to the Frogs). Might be hard to get this on with the Frogs and Ponies these days, but that new stadium will be a draw and do more than anything that could have been done in the last few years to make it happen.

Enjoy the ride, Frog fans...you have earned it, but the high altitude might prove fleeting if you don't watch out and the fall to grace is much less fun that then rise to fame. Would love to see this metroplex rivalry get going....one can only wish.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Given the TCU administration's aversion to the old non-air conditioned Fouts, I bet they would really hate a trip to Austin where they put you in the sun for an afternoon game in September and the Horns players sit comfortably on the sideline in water cooled circulating body suits. Of course, no consideration to the visiting team to furnish them with the water cooled suits. Great hospitality by the Horns.

[/quote

are you being sarcastic?

Not entirely accurate.

just asking, when was the last time TCU played Houston?

just asking, when was the last time TCU played Houston?

We played them during our CUSA years and in the 2007 Texas Bowl. We were all set to sign a home and home for 2009 (in Houston) and 2010 (in Ft Worth). However, Oklahoma St refused to move around their game with Houston. We were almost stuck paying for a second FCS game. Clemson came in at the last minute with a $1 million guarantee for a one and done which we went in and won. Meanwhile, Houston crushed Oklahoma St in Stillwater.

So we haven't actually play Houston in OOC but we were set to sign a deal to play them in OOC before Oklahoma St got in the way. In retrospect, it worked better as we traded 2 games with Houston for a game with Clemson and a game with Oregon St.

But, we continue to talk to Houston about future games.

Like it or not, TCU and SMU look at us as irrelevant in football right now (along with the rest of the metroplex). While this series always seems to be near the top of our fans' priority lists, it is about 1,758,697 on the do to list of TCU and SMU. And it is our fault.

Win. Make people notice you. Make a potential match up something the casual fan would like to see (instead of 40 members of this board).

Just saying...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Like it or not, TCU and SMU look at us as irrelevant in football right now (along with the rest of the metroplex). While this series always seems to be near the top of our fans' priority lists, it is about 1,758,697 on the do to list of TCU and SMU. And it is our fault.

Win. Make people notice you. Make a potential match up something the casual fan would like to see (instead of 40 members of this board).

Just saying...

We were winning just fine in the first half of the decade, and we almost beat (should have beaten) TCU, yet they were not falling over themselves to play us. Winning will solve a lot of problems, but I'm not convinced it will make SMU and TCU want to play us more.

We were winning just fine in the first half of the decade, and we almost beat (should have beaten) TCU, yet they were not falling over themselves to play us. Winning will solve a lot of problems, but I'm not convinced it will make SMU and TCU want to play us more.

Actually, in the case of TCU at least, winning and our new stadium will go a long way to getting back onto their schedule. They won't be playing us every year, but we produce very good crowds for each other. Plus going to the next county for a road game will have a lot more appeal not that TCU's closest conference mate will be either Cincinnati or Louisville. Home and home once every 5 to 7 years will make a lot of sense for them.

With SMU, you have much more of a fan perception problem than with TCU.