New North Texas Uniforms

wardly

Nice, I like the inclusion of the "granny apple green" stripe.

How about one more of these "mock-ups" with the eagle head from the SOW logo?

This one (but green):

1006_EagleHead-Cutout.jpg

SOW looks a little cramped... really would like to see just the head...

btw... I have my tailor creating my new mask with SOW for my future matches...

!VIVA MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

me-4.jpg

ahh the joys of TeamBuilder

I'm always in support of the darker green over light, but that "Worm" helmet is great and gives us a really unique look, i.e. the true definition of ICONIC.

For me, WormHelmet=McDonalds=NorthTexas.

I grew up in a small town (<1000) in the mid-70s and Fouts field was pretty much the biggest structure that I regularly saw. As a kid, driving past Fouts and sometimes getting to stop in at McDonalds to see the "helmet lights" was a treat.

I appreciate all the posts, and everyone's unique spin on what the uniforms and helmet should look like.

After looking at all of the options presented, I have to say I like the Flying Worm with the lighter green helmet best. I also like the interlocking NT as well.

However, and unfortunately, the Worm is not part of the NT branding (logo) and would be hard to integrate in with the rest of the branding schema.

Flying Worm helmets were the best we ever had. No school name needed on them, opponents knew who we were! :ph34r:

Being new to UNT, I have enjoyed all the talk about Uniforms designs. Who in the world came up with the Flying Worm.

But that being said, I am old school. Uniform design should basically always stay the same. Example: Auburn, Alabama, Georgia Tech & Georgia basic uniform has not changed in years.

I hate it when I turn onto a game and can not tell who is who because there uniform changes either game to game or year to year.

Pick something and stick to in. This is how I feel about each and every school's uniform.

I just have not got over a school's own fans calling a helmet design a Flying Worm.

I can just see the SmackTalk each week. :lol:

Being new to UNT, I have enjoyed all the talk about Uniforms designs. Who in the world came up with the Flying Worm.

But that being said, I am old school. Uniform design should basically always stay the same. Example: Auburn, Alabama, Georgia Tech & Georgia basic uniform has not changed in years.

I hate it when I turn onto a game and can not tell who is who because there uniform changes either game to game or year to year.

Pick something and stick to in. This is how I feel about each and every school's uniform.

I just have not got over a school's own fans calling a helmet design a Flying Worm.

Those flying worm helmets were the ones that North Texas wore when Hayden Fry was coach. I prefer "stylized Eagle". They represent one of the most winning eras in North Texas history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's a great link to helmet designs/changes throughout the years. Rick Spears, who worked in the Athletic Department during the Fry era, designed the stylized eagle that became known as the "Flying Worm." Our uniforms were Granny Smith Apple Green/Dark Green and White.

Helmet Project

Here's a great link to helmet designs/changes throughout the years. Rick Spears, who worked in the Athletic Department during the Fry era, designed the stylized eagle that became known as the "Flying Worm." Our uniforms were Granny Smith Apple Green/Dark Green and White.

Helmet Project

Rick Spears, aka Green Grenade II, who I consider to be called a legendary gomeangreen.com member. He's been waiting for a new stadium since the Fry era. I don't believe he cares for his stylized eagle being called the "Flying Worm", but I guess he puts up with it.

Helmet Project

1994 NT Helmet = WORST HELMET EVER!!! :thumbsd:

me-4.jpg

ahh the joys of TeamBuilder

I like... but then I saw La. Monroe's helmet and couldn't stop comparing them in my mind. THEN, I was reminded of UNT's helmet from the mid 90's and all was OK... with a little help from my favorite tequila.

I like the SOW design too... but I think the decal needs to be slightly smaller and to the back.

Great designs... hope we can see something similar soon!

Edited by Primo

Since not enough people have posted on this topic, I feel compelled to offer some guiding principles.

I personally like the color combination bright green and black, but that is not North Texas. There should not be black accents or black stripes etc but if needed for an outline OK. Otherwise all green and white.

All athletic branding should aggressively focus on the current eagle logo, the full one not the head alone.

The eagle should be a green eagle whenever possible, not white. The eagle represents NT and its people. We are the Mean Green, not the Mean White.

The 70s flying worm belongs in the 70s. If we had stayed with it up to now there would be no discussion but its tenure was brief and now there should be long-term commitment to the current logo which is excellent.

Other than the colors green and white I am not too concerned what they put on the shirts and pants. What matters is what is on the helmet. Let's follow Texas' lead on this and put just our symbol, not any letters, on the helmet.

If there is effectively a way to have a green eagle outlined on a green helmet and have it clearly recognizable, that would be best, otherwise, green eagle on a white helmet, no stripes.

The green eagle logo is awesome. If displayed enough, the people of the region will rally around it. The University of North Texas needs to essentially take over the North Texas region in that regard, with the symbol, not the words 'North Texas'. The association with the region will happen by itself if the symbol is all over the region. (Stickers, flags, magnets, posters and billboards needed.) The helmet is a strong way to connect with that recognition. Once people realize they are stuck with the presence of the symbol and its association with the region and thus themselves, they will start to care if the teams it stands for are good. When they care, they will contribute.

One might ask if that is a valid thing to create. I think it is, I don't think it's fair that the people of the North Texas region are not as well represented in the arena of college athletics as they should be. Sure, TCU has an incredible team, but they do not represent the huge majority of people of the region and they never will.

In sum, full green eagle logo on helmet.

• Upvote 1

I like... but then I saw La. Monroe's helmet and couldn't stop comparing them in my mind. THEN, I was reminded of UNT's helmet from the mid 90's and all was OK... with a little help from my favorite tequila.

I like the SOW design too... but I think the decal needs to be slightly smaller and to the back.

Great designs... hope we can see something similar soon!

Honestly, I'd like the worm from the bottom picture with the colors of the top picture. The two helmets from 1973 to 1993 were the best we've ever had. Give me the logo from 1973-1982 on the colors from 1983-1993. From the 21st Century, keep only the black facemasks.