Dan Mccarney

Side Show Joe

If you want a dangerous hire, we could always go for a legendary Texas high school coach.

As for me, I'm developing an appreciation for safe.

Not the kind of dangerous I'm looking for. I'm looking for the Leavitt, Leach, Fran type of dangerous. Coaches with winning records that had stupid off the field issues that were way overblown.

That is why, if this is it, it is such a safe hire. Lots of candidates out there with a bigger upside, but would have been controversial.

I don't have a good feeling about this hire. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 3

Co-Division champ ONCE in 12 seasons, tied for second ONCE in 12 seasons. And that was in 6 team a Big 12 North that was VERY weak during his tenure there. He was only ranked ONCE in those 12 seasons, at 23/25.

He also has no known recruiting ties to Texas other than the limited work he probably did while in the Big 12.

When we have options on the table who have been FAR more successful and have much greater ties to our area, I do not see this being a good decision at all.

FWIW. Just glancing at his 2004 Cyclone roster, he had 20 Texans on his squad. I'm like most of ya'll, not too excited.

Not the kind of dangerous I'm looking for. I'm looking for the Leavitt, Leach, Fran type of dangerous. Coaches with winning records that had stupid off the field issues that were way overblown.

That is why, if this is it, it is such a safe hire. Lots of candidates out there with a bigger upside, but would have been controversial.

I don't have a good feeling about this hire. Hope I'm wrong.

What's more controversial?

Smacking a player?

Pay for insider information newsletter?

Domestic abuse?

I mean, McCarney is pretty controversial!

• Upvote 1

I'm not being at all critical in asking this so please don't take it that way but who WOULD be "exciting" who is a legitimate candidate?

No disrespect but Mike Leach can't possibly have ever been. I haven't heard Mark Stoops' name for a couple weeks which would lead me to believe that as often happens in these things, UNT (or Neinas specifically) contacted him but after learning the specifics, Stoops withdrew his name from consideration. Franchione? Leavitt maybe? Y'all can guess the reason(s) if it isn't going to be them, right?

Anyway, McCarney may be an unexciting name but I think if you get him, you will be at least satisfied in hindsight since I think he will out-coach many of his peers in the Sun Belt. The key will be what kind of staff he puts together and considering his experience, my guess is it will be a good one.

Edit: Well, this one earned me my first official -1. Guess it's time to leave. In all honesty, I wish you folks very good luck in the future!

Edited by SleepingGiantsFan
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

In case you didn't already know, McCarney's conference record while at Iowa State was 26 - 67. McCarney's teams didn't just lose, they lost Big.

Minnesota's concern and statement in article...We are not going to be that patient. This is really the biggest issue. That is the way I feel... TD has done a number on UNT football...we haven't won in 6 years...can't wait another 4-5 years to win (esp in Sunbelt)...want to increase stadium attendence and revenues...better win soon.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if we hire McCarney...if his overall record (at Iowa State) will be in the press release from UNT Athletics. If not....that says something.

I agree.

And as a side note, you can bet that if we hire him all of the sports radio guys will be mentioning his record and giving us bad publicity over it which of course can harm recruiting.

The wind is leaving the sails already . . . . .

but I think you're understating his accomplishments. His team made it to five bowl games at Iowa State and was co-division champion in 2007. That's not easy to do in the Big 12 with the resources he had available to him.

Six out of twelve teams in the Big 12 go to a bowl game each year.

Seems like only having to be better than half the teams in your conference to make a bowl is pretty good odds.

Six out of twelve teams in the Big 12 go to a bowl game each year.

Seems like only having to be better than half the teams in your conference to make a bowl is pretty good odds.

If getting to bowls is so easy, why did UNT go 41 years without reaching one?

• Upvote 1

I'm not being at all critical in asking this so please don't take it that way but who WOULD be "exciting" who is a legitimate candidate?

No disrespect but Mike Leach can't possibly have ever been. I haven't heard Mark Stoops' name for a couple weeks which would lead me to believe that as often happens in these things, UNT (or Neinas specifically) contacted him but after learning the specifics, Stoops withdrew his name from consideration. Franchione? Leavitt maybe? Y'all can guess the reason(s) if it isn't going to be them, right?

Anyway, McCarney may be an unexciting name but I think if you get him, you will be at least satisfied in hindsight since I think he will out-coach many of his peers in the Sun Belt. The key will be what kind of staff he puts together and considering his experience, my guess is it will be a good one.

Edit: Well, this one earned me my first official -1. Guess it's time to leave. In all honesty, I wish you folks very good luck in the future!

This.

I'd be thrilled with McCarney. I think this guy has the best chance of anyone I've seen listed to put together a great staff here at UNT. THAT is the measuring stick we should be using.

He's a Fry guy. He has been a HFC at a MUCH tougher place and had some success, and has continued to coach at a very high level at 2 of the top teams in the nation since he left Iowa St. He has a reputation of being a big-time d-line recruiter/builder, AND is a solid character guy with tons of passion.

I think if you want to build a program, he'd be a great choice. If you want a splashy name, MOST of the Big 12 football fans around here at least have heard of him....he's not Devil Fran---but that's a good thing, if you ask me.

I could care less about making a big splash with this hire. We're going to have good attendance next year anyways. We're also going to be terrible, no matter who the coach is. Our lines are going to be gutted after this season. I want the coach that can get us competitive while slowly building a stable program. The reality is that unless we hit the jackpot on the JUCO trail, next year is going to be tough. I think too many people are getting their hopes up that this hire is going to instantly turn us into a 9 win team....and that is not going to happen. McCarney would build us into a winner....starting with solid recruiting of both lines.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This.

I'd be thrilled with McCarney. I think this guy has the best chance of anyone I've seen listed to put together a great staff here at UNT. THAT is the measuring stick we should be using.

He's a Fry guy. He has been a HFC at a MUCH tougher place and had some success, and has continued to coach at a very high level at 2 of the top teams in the nation since he left Iowa St. He has a reputation of being a big-time d-line recruiter/builder, AND is a solid character guy with tons of passion.

I think if you want to build a program, he'd be a great choice. If you want a splashy name, MOST of the Big 12 football fans around here at least have heard of him....he's not Devil Fran---but that's a good thing, if you ask me.

I could care less about making a big splash with this hire. We're going to have good attendance next year anyways. We're also going to be terrible, no matter who the coach is. Our lines are going to be gutted after this season. I want the coach that can get us competitive while slowly building a stable program. The reality is that unless we hit the jackpot on the JUCO trail, next year is going to be tough. I think too many people are getting their hopes up that this hire is going to instantly turn us into a 9 win team....and that is not going to happen. McCarney would build us into a winner....starting with solid recruiting of both lines.

Agreed. Our last 2 hires were offensive guys. I'm ready to give a defensive guy a chance.

Gene Chizik was terrible at ISU but is doing well at Auburn. Who is to say McCarney can't have success in Denton?

The same people who think there is a Jim Leavitt Conspiracy that equals the JFK Conspiracy.

Anyway, if it's not Canales, I'm 110% on board with McCarney. I like the idea of a defensive line guy going into the homes of future DL recruits and flashing his Rose Bowl (Wisconsin) and National Championship (Florida) rings to them. And, I especially like it this off-season when we will sorely be in need of some JUCO DLs.

And, like Stoops and the rest, he's recruited Texas plenty. He also hauled in quite a few from Florida back in the day for Iowa State. The Cyclones also recruited all over Texas well. Look at past Cyclones rosters from that era and its got guys from Dallas, Forth Worth, Garland, Houston, La Marque, Richmond, Missouri City, DeSoto (current Philly CB Ellis Hobbs), Alief, Pittsburg, Bartlett, La Porte, Deer Park, Bastrop, Round Rock, Texarkana, Hurst, Granbury, Gainesville, Longview, Baytown, Spring, Rowlett, and Beaumont.

I mean, there won't be many head coaches in Texas who haven't had a visit from this guy in all of his years with Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Florida. They all pull guys out of Texas.

And, believe me, if they guy found a player in Granbury, Texas, he and the guys he hires know how to go out and beat the bushes. Granbury was bad for a very long time, and until recently, small.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If getting to bowls is so easy, why did UNT go 41 years without reaching one?

No one said it was easy per se, however, considering that up until the last couple of years there was only ONE bowl tie-in for SBC and SIX for Big 12 I'd say the chances of making one in the BIG 12 are "easier" than the SBC.

As for NT not reaching one for 41 years I'd say that has much to do with:

Not being very good for years.

Being independent when we were good.

Being in 1AA for a number of years post good indie years.

Being in a conference with only one bowl tie-in for the majority of the conference's existence.

What's more controversial?

Smacking a player?

Pay for insider information newsletter?

Domestic abuse?

I mean, McCarney is pretty controversial!

Here is the proof: Iowa State's Response

Wow! I know, people in glass houses, etc. I can accept slapping a player in the "heat of the moment", that is what I saw many times in my high school days, heck even pee wee. But a man hitting a woman, I am not sure I can stomach that one. What I am saying is that if somebody is being written off because of baggage, I think that is a pretty big bag. But the difference is that "no charges" were filed. I am sure that was not hard for Iowa State to get it swept under the rug with the police in Ames and come out with the he is sorry, gonna get counseling B.S..

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 2

If UNT insists on going with McCarney, he better win from game one. His name isn't going to sell tickets once the newness of the stadium is over. And more losing won't sell recruits on this program.

I hope those in charge really think this through, and make a smart choice, that will both win and excite the fan base.

I just don't see McCarney doing that. I can honestly say, I will be less excited about North Texas football if McCarney is our coach. The only thing that will change that is wins and many of them. That is something McCarney doesn't have a good enough history of producing.

When you get down to it, it's all about winning. Lets get an FBS level head coach with a winning record. I feel anything less will disappoint many of our fans.

• Upvote 1