Unt Officially Declines Wac Offer

Brett Vito

At what point does UNT declining an offer from the WAC cease to be newsworthy?

I'm just saying. . .

I see your point, but Karl Benson did hold a presser earlier today and very publicly invited NT. Commissioner 101 says you NEVER make such an invitation public since being rejected makes you look terrible. Being rejected by NT is one thing, but even UC Davis rejected them!

At what point does UNT declining an offer from the WAC cease to be newsworthy?

I'm just saying. . .

I agree ...it surprises me that Benson would specifically state that he was going after North Texas on the press conference unless he had an indication that there was interest or something...we've said no at least twice now.

OK, so let me pose this question:

The MWC is looking to expand to a 12th team for a Championship game. If SMU or Houston were to turn down invites to stay in the C-USA, would UNT accept an invite to the MWC? Now before you answer, let's look at a few things. UNT didn't want to go to the WAC because of the travel. However, the MWC is just as diverse in it's footprint and now has (possibly) Hawai'i in football. Does the travel expense somehow become overlooked since its the MWC? Also, conference TV deal. MWC does not have an ESPN contract, actually a very sub-standard CBS deal along with their own "the Mtn" network. Do these two things alone still proclude UNT from wanting to make a conference change?

The MWC is looking to expand to a 12th team for a Championship game. If SMU or Houston were to turn down invites to stay in the C-USA, would UNT accept an invite to the MWC? Now before you answer, let's look at a few things. UNT didn't want to go to the WAC because of the travel. However, the MWC is just as diverse in it's footprint and now has (possibly) Hawai'i in football. Does the travel expense somehow become overlooked since its the MWC? Also, conference TV deal. MWC does not have an ESPN contract, actually a very sub-standard CBS deal along with their own "the Mtn" network. Do these two things alone still proclude UNT from wanting to make a conference change?

I would jump all over the MWC in a heartbeat.

Above the Red Line by all measures. STRONG basketball conference. With or without TCU, I would take the MWC, no hesitation, no discussion, no debate. Slam dunk no brainer decision.

• Upvote 3

Trips every other year to Las Vegas for football? Oh heck yeah.

I agree ...it surprises me that Benson would specifically state that he was going after North Texas on the press conference unless he had an indication that there was interest or something...we've said no at least twice now.

Listen to the press conference. Karl sounds awful. He takes a lot of heat but how bad can it be that the day you are supposed to get press for shoring up your league, most of the news talk is you lost a bowl game AND Montana said no. Then you call a press conference and in the course of it admit you've been rejected by Cal Davis who finished transition from Division II to FCS just a year or two ago then say you are pursuing a school you should know you have no shot at.

MWC>WAC, but a MWC invite in unrealistic. The MWC would be better served by taking a team from the WAC, killing the rival conference. UTEP would also make more sense for the MWC's footprint.

But going back to the earlier sub-thread, how did the DCR get scooped by Rivals?

Hate to break it to you, but there are no more Utah teams in the MWC. Travel isn't much better because: Reno, Fresno, Boise, Albuquerque, Hawai'i, Laramie, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins. So you get Las Vegas and San Diego, big whoop. I guess what I don't understand is why the MWC is any better of a deal that the WAC, other than name recognition.

Hate to break it to you, but there are no more Utah teams in the MWC. Travel isn't much better because: Reno, Fresno, Boise, Albuquerque, Hawai'i, Laramie, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins. So you get Las Vegas and San Diego, big whoop. I guess what I don't understand is why the MWC is any better of a deal that the WAC, other than name recognition.

You don't follow college football very closely, do you? I am not sure how you compare the WAC hanging on a thread with the best at the moment non-AQ conference. No one knows what is going to happen down the road, but no sane AD with any other options is going to the WAC. It makes some sense for move ups from the FC division, but none for anybody else. You are right from a geographical standpoint neither conference is idea, but the MWC is a giant move up from the Belt while the WAC if it survives at all will be weaker than the Belt.

Hate to break it to you, but there are no more Utah teams in the MWC.

And not having to go to Utah is a bad thing?

Reno
I "bet" people find a way to go to this game.

Fresno, Boise, Albuquerque
OK. You got me there.

Hawai'i
I demand this game be the weekend after Thanksgiving. You know, so the temperature is above 30?

Laramie
Mmmm! Simpsons flavor country!

Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins.
Snow bunnies!

So you get Las Vegas
You had me at Vegas

and San Diego, big whoop.
I went to the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego last year -- in late December. It was 75 degrees and sunny. You too can be that pasty white guy playing in the surf in the middle of winter.

I guess what I don't understand is why the MWC is any better of a deal that the WAC
Seriously?

, other than name recognition.
Seems this very thing has been the hot topic of discussion and on the top of the wish list for UNT for quite some time.

The interesting thing about the current WAC standings....you can easily separate the Leaving WAC from the Staying WAC:

http://www.wacsports.com/standings/Standings.dbml?SPID=4122&DB_OEM_ID=10100

Yeah, now I see why LT doesn't want to lower themselves to the belt. They're the top dog in their conference now.

I would feel bad for them if they weren't such A-holes. And I'm not even talking about their fans yet.

The Sun Belt is the worst conference in the nation. The Southland Conference would be an upgrade. A decimated WAC is still a better option. The MWC would be a home run for UNT. IMO you don't even think about a decision to join the MWC you just pull the trigger.

Southland ... an upgrade?!