Game On 88.1 Kntu

Green Dozer

Had to go to the store, so tuned into 88.1 to listen to the start of the game, but it is not been broadcast. Instead, kntu is broadcasting the Denton High vs Hereford playoff game from Sweetwater. Just another example of how motivated the overall University is in promoting the athletic program. Yes, I know it is on THE WORD, but that's not the point. Just like not having the tower lit when we beat FAU earlier this year, unbelievable and pathetic.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

I understand that it is frustrating that today's game was on 100.7 only, but let's all keep in mind these HS playoff games are a big deal to the young broadcasters that are announcing them. I know that it isn't exactly pro Mean Green. However, these guys are getting to show why the University of North Texas is a true leader in the country in producing quality broadcasters. Back to the hate.

• Upvote 2

No offense GGB beacuse I certainly appreciate all that the Green Guys did, and do, in promotion of the team. But there is simply NO excuse why KNTU did not broadcast the game. None. KNTU should have the UNT football game on regardless.

Like it or not UNT is still a place of learning. The kids who call the HS games are doing just that. If 88.1 was the exclusive home of NT Football then you would have a point. But the fact it's on 100.7 (a much stronger frequency in DFW) makes it alright in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

Like it or not UNT is still a place of learning. The kids who call the HS games are doing just that. If 88.1 was the exclusive home of NT Football then you would have a point. But the fact it's on 100.7 (a much stronger frequency in DFW) makes it alright in my eyes.

Just nit picking here, but the station - as far as I know - does not fall under the umbrella of any college. It just happens to be a venue where the broadcasters can hone/display their skills.

Obviously, given the priorities they displayed tonight, the other 300+ days of broadcasting are not enough. At least, not enough to reconsider dismissing one of only 12 games a year.

Just nit picking here, but the station - as far as I know - does not fall under the umbrella of any college. It just happens to be a venue where the broadcasters can hone/display their skills.

You are mistaken. It is the campus station of the University of North Texas, as they regularly remind us during station identification.

You are mistaken. It is the campus station of the University of North Texas, as they regularly remind us during station identification.

not debating that. sorry I wasn't clear

But if we had a culinary program, they wouldn't put those students behind the dorm kitchen and stop serving residents in favor of cooking for the local summer cheer camps, and then claim it was for "practice"....

...would they?

That is, sort of, what I mean. The facility is UNT's, but it's primary purpose falls under the UNT system in the same line as custodial services and administration. Not under any college specifically.

Edited by greenminer

I think it must be Lee Jackson's fault. I understand now he wants to move the new Lee Jackson stadium to Dallas .

Well he can take KNUT radio with him as far as Im concerned. Did it ever occur to anyone in the KNUT department that the reason we got a deal with 100.7 to broadcast our games is beucause of the overall quality of KNUT? And Im not talking about the student broadcasters, so don't start sending me hate mail because you think Im disappointed in them.

Well he can take KNUT radio with him as far as Im concerned. Did it ever occur to anyone in the KNUT department that the reason we got a deal with 100.7 to broadcast our games is beucause of the overall quality of KNUT? And Im not talking about the student broadcasters, so don't start sending me hate mail because you think Im disappointed in them.

Or, maybe, it might be because KWRD has a Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT) that's about 4x greater than KNTU. Meaning that its broadcast range far exceeds KNTU's.

And, if I'm not mistaken, KWRD gets a signal that comes through KNTU. So if there were some problem with KNTU's "overall quality", putting the downstream signal on KWRD wouldn't do anything to solve it.

Denton has one commercial radio station. That station belongs to the University of North Texas...KNTU. It is Denton ISD's only option.

In the Dallas area, several schools contract with radio stations to broadcast their high school games; usually on Friday nights. If the game happens to fall on a Thursday or Saturday night that contract is honored. It also includes playoff games. Regular programming may be shortened or eliminated to honor the contract.

I don't know whether Denton High (Denton ISD) contracted to broadcast the Broncos' games or not but at the least the playoff game was contracted. KNTU, knowing that the UNT game was covered in Denton via KWRD, accepted the income that the broadcast provided. The station is still in the business to make money. They did that. There were no additional advertisers for the North Texas game as there were for the Denton Broncos game so carrying the UNT game would have been pro bono.

Had there been no feed into Denton there would have been a legitimate gripe. But there was. Who missed the broadcast because they could only get KNTU and not KWRD? My guess is none because I often listen to the MGRN station on earphones or the car radio when I'm in Denton without a problem.

• Upvote 1

Or, maybe, it might be because KWRD has a Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT) that's about 4x greater than KNTU. Meaning that its broadcast range far exceeds KNTU's.

And, if I'm not mistaken, KWRD gets a signal that comes through KNTU. So if there were some problem with KNTU's "overall quality", putting the downstream signal on KWRD wouldn't do anything to solve it.

You are correct on both points. Also, 100.7 has a station in the Tyler area that rebroadcasts it's signal across east Texas nearly to Shreveport including the NT games. 100.7 reaches close to 8 times the total potential listeners that KNTU does. If the choice is the Word or KNTU then 100.7 is much better for the Mean Green every time.

You are correct on both points. Also, 100.7 has a station in the Tyler area that rebroadcasts it's signal across east Texas nearly to Shreveport including the NT games. 100.7 reaches close to 8 times the total potential listeners that KNTU does. If the choice is the Word or KNTU then 100.7 is much better for the Mean Green every time.

Denton has one commercial radio station. That station belongs to the University of North Texas...KNTU. It is Denton ISD's only option.

In the Dallas area, several schools contract with radio stations to broadcast their high school games; usually on Friday nights. If the game happens to fall on a Thursday or Saturday night that contract is honored. It also includes playoff games. Regular programming may be shortened or eliminated to honor the contract.

I don't know whether Denton High (Denton ISD) contracted to broadcast the Broncos' games or not but at the least the playoff game was contracted. KNTU, knowing that the UNT game was covered in Denton via KWRD, accepted the income that the broadcast provided. The station is still in the business to make money. They did that. There were no additional advertisers for the North Texas game as there were for the Denton Broncos game so carrying the UNT game would have been pro bono.

Had there been no feed into Denton there would have been a legitimate gripe. But there was. Who missed the broadcast because they could only get KNTU and not KWRD? My guess is none because I often listen to the MGRN station on earphones or the car radio when I'm in Denton without a problem.

Thank you for bringing some sense into this stupid argument! Who cares if the game wasn't on KNTU, it was still being broadcasted on KWRD. KNTU is the exclusive broadcast station for Denton ISD football so with two Denton high school teams in playoff action Saturday of course KNTU is going to cover one of them since KWRD has the UNT game.