Jim Leavitt Highlights

bdan2002

I like the idea of Jim Leavitt, but then I remember back to some radio interviews he did when USF reached #2 in the rankings. I'm pretty sure he'd piss off 3/4 of Denton within the first six months. The tough part about UNT is that the fan base appears to demand the warmth of Mr. Rogers, the jolliness of Santa Claus, the community involvement of a PTA mom, the toughness of Clint Eastwood, the football knowledge of Vince Lombardi, and the winning pct. of Bill Walsh. Even with unlimited resources to fund a salary, it goes to follow the old saying, "You can't please all of the people all of the time."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know he's not a "high profile" coach, but I would not mind this hire at all. I think the chemistry between Leavitt and Canales is already there, so why not bring the guy in.

Also, I think this attitude/edge is what our team is missing currently.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 1

If Leavitt is here - which, I hope, but think is a long shot - the players will not get a moment's rest. There are youtube clips of him grabbing facemasks, following players down the sideline cussing them...being a football coach. Is this a team that can be football-coached?

He's very old school. I don't know how that will play out with the new age - and, the new age players' parents. This team does need some sort of kick in the pants. But, Leavitt is pretty over the top.

Why are so many thinking Leavitt comes here? Is there any reason to think that other than the Canales connection? I've seen people saying it's a 75% chance and things like that. Maybe you guys know something I don't but I figure I could pick a guy that I like and make up some random percentage he'll be our next coach without any knowledge other than what I read here.

He's very old school. I don't know how that will play out with the new age - and, the new age players' parents. This team does need some sort of kick in the pants. But, Leavitt is pretty over the top.

I think when you win then all is accepted is forgotten. Even I myself don't really believe Leavitt will or would come here but if he did come here I think even the new age folks would see that a major change of culture is needed here and the fact that is a super credible coach is something that would go in to play.

If Leavitt is here - which, I hope, but think is a long shot - the players will not get a moment's rest. There are youtube clips of him grabbing facemasks, following players down the sideline cussing them...being a football coach. Is this a team that can be football-coached?

Cussing them??

And you know this how?

Why are so many thinking Leavitt comes here? Is there any reason to think that other than the Canales connection? I've seen people saying it's a 75% chance and things like that. Maybe you guys know something I don't but I figure I could pick a guy that I like and make up some random percentage he'll be our next coach without any knowledge other than what I read here.

All RV has to do is offer him the job.

What's he waiting for?

• Upvote 1

What's he waiting for?

I'll say this, Jim Leavitt is a fantastic coach that would be a great hire. I love his energy and passion. I also think that he would be an outstanding recruiter. My sense is that Coach Leavitt already has a plan in his mind how he would get our situation back on track. I hope that he will get to share that vision with RV and be seriously considered for the job. The bonus is that he would have an immediate connection with Coach Canales who I also think a lot of.

Now that is an example of what a football coach is! I've seen that before, and remember him from when we played USF. My old high school coach was cast from the same mold, and it brings back fond memories interspersed with moments of sheer terror.

I'm sure there will be a small group of great candidates and he would have to be among them.

What's he waiting for?

You're very confident about this statement and have posted it several times within the last day or so. So if that is the case can you do something about it and get the two sides together? Or maybe get Leavitt's people to contact RV's people? You make it seem really easy and I have a hard time believing that is the case.

I guess you haven't been reading the board much lately. He took an infant USF school, and in 10 years, had them in a BcS conference. He is exactly the type of coach this school needs. He was there for 13 years, even after building the program, so the man has loyalty. In fact, I actually wanted him to replace Dickey, but at the time Leavitt was still with USF.