What It Would Cost To Part Ways With Dodge

Eagle-96

Leach is all about Leach, nothing else. Secondly, he has filed a suit against a state supported university. Third, what KRAM said.

This is exactly the attitude that will keep the Washington St.'s far away. All the better for us.

Yes, Leach is all about Leach. But he wins. And he recruits. And he graduates kids.

The lawsuit will go away, by settlement or other means, if he ever wants to coach again.

I think at most universities who have had losing streaks, you see the results you are talking about quickly. But Flyer, we won 4 conference championships, went to 4 bowls, and still nothing much in the way of donors changed. I went to a function the other night and there were the same donors there as there were ten years ago. Then there was talk of get rid of Dickey, and there will be more donations. Bottom line is, as you know more than anybody, without the students there would be no new stadium. You have people on this board who are waiting on a new conference before giving. What will be their excuse be when we get into a new conference?

I can see why someone gave you a -1. The truth hurts.

• Downvote 2

Leach is all about Leach, nothing else. Secondly, he has filed a suit against a state supported university. Third, what KRAM said.

And no other coach isn't ? Leach would actually make our school relevant. I want a football coach that doesn't make our school a laughing stock in college football. Classy guy or not....none of us really know unless you know him personally.

But hey I guess the culture of being irrelevant losers is appealing to many.

• Downvote 2

if you are a true Mean Green fan you would be able to see what Dodge is building!! This team is tons better than the previous 3 years even with all the injuries. It takes a while to build a winning program especially when he started with what he had to start with. His recruits are starting to build something that is getting better on the field and outside of a few fouls saturday the discipline is better than it has ever been! Do you really just want to be a stepping stone for someone that doesn't want to be here (Leach,Franchione) just so they can get back into College Football or do you want someone that cares about the program and is working toward building a winner?? Give Dodge the other year he deserves in the new Stadium because i'm telling you this team showed a lot of CLASS and GUTs saturday night with all that they have been through this season!!!!

• Downvote 4

Yes, Leach is all about Leach. But he wins. And he recruits. And he graduates kids.

I think in the short term, he would be ok. Long-term, I don't like the guy. He's a clown. And he's not that great a recruiter, either. He doesn't care about defense or special teams. His teams are undisciplined, and he has a tendency to lose his locker room frequently, which means his teams usually drop 1 or 2 games they should win easily. Frankly, I think he was only marginally more successful than Dykes, which his record shows. But, he slings the thing all over the field, and the 59-48 scores look impressive.

I will grant that his name will sway some recruits in the SBC on the offensive side of the ball, but he will be gone at the first blush of success, and will have difficulty recruiting defensive players at any conference he coaches in.

Again, he would be a splash hire, but long term--not what UNT should be doing, IMO.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

if you are a true Mean Green fan you would be able to see what Dodge is building!! This team is tons better than the previous 3 years even with all the injuries. It takes a while to build a winning program especially when he started with what he had to start with. His recruits are starting to build something that is getting better on the field and outside of a few fouls saturday the discipline is better than it has ever been! Do you really just want to be a stepping stone for someone that doesn't want to be here (Leach,Franchione) just so they can get back into College Football or do you want someone that cares about the program and is working toward building a winner?? Give Dodge the other year he deserves in the new Stadium because i'm telling you this team showed a lot of CLASS and GUTs saturday night with all that they have been through this season!!!!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and thermal nuclear warfare. I'm tired of being close -- I want some wins.

Sure, so why approach him, right? Let's just continue to accept our lot in life as a POS football school.

Freaking amazing.

Please, get one and find one. I'm not saying RV shouldn't approach him. You've got nothing to lose. I'm saying that it's a waste of time to talk about it on a message board. It's not going to happen. I'd rather talk about realistic options. Calm down sir.

Hold on. Dodge did not start out with a bad bunch of players. He made poor decisions with the players he had and was unwilling to alter his game plan to suit the talent that was there. True, he did not have the personnel to implement his "wide-open" offense fully at year one, but a good coach recognizes the talent that's there and works with it.

Frankly, unless you're Alabama, USC, or Texas, you're a stepping stone program. When a coach is here, he cares about winning and building a winner, or he won't have a job. We all know that if Dodge had been highly successful, he would have wanted to use our program as a stepping stone to a better job as well. The trick is to build up your program until it becomes one of those coveted spots, but to do that, we have to develop a winning tradition with lots of fan/student/community support, provide excellent facilities, and get some TV air time. The AD has made major inroads towards improving support, providing excellent facilities, and getting us some air time. Now we just need that winning tradition.

While I can appreciate the very difficult circumstances our team has endured this year, I don't think 4 or 5 Unsportsmanlike Conduct calls in a game is classy. To their credit, the offense didn't give up, and Canales called a good game. But as we've seen with every game in the Dodge era, there were way too many careless mistakes.

• Upvote 4

Stop banging your keyboard. It will only do further damage to your hand.

• Upvote 1

Please, get one and find one. I'm not saying RV shouldn't approach him. You've got nothing to lose. I'm saying that it's a waste of time to talk about it on a message board. It's not going to happen. I'd rather talk about realistic options. Calm down sir.

Think small, be small. But that's nothing new for UNT

Your stance will change once people outside of this board give a damn about UNT football.

I really doubt that you have any idea whether my stance would change or not. I do not want Leach anywhere near any program I care about...PERIOD. I don't care how many games he has won or may win in the future.

Now, if RV decides to hire the guy, he'll be UNT's coach and he would have my support because I support UNT, but I pray RV is smarter than that...and I do think he is MUCH smarter than to hire someone with the baggage Leach would bring. There are other and better coaches out there that would be much better suited for UNT. NO TO LEACH!

You are more than welcome to disagree.

There's not a damn thing fair about life sometimes. I could write a soap opera script (which my late sainted mother jokingly suggested I do) about some of my numerous downtimes and I'll spare you all those diatribes; many of you could do the same about some of your own "life just ain't fair" moments.

All these injuries during Coach Dodge's make or break season? Not a damn thing fair about any of them--even last weeks weird things that happened to some more of our players which have added to this entire comedy of errors (injuries) which really none of us can find any humor to at all.

At the beginning of this season, many, many, many of us on this board were expecting (and pulling for) Todd Dodge to make his coaching career come-back at UNT and then all the crap (most of which completely out of his hands) begins to happen. Half way thru the season now, its even gotten worse.

The Hollywood script that many of us wanted was a 2010 come-back for Todd Dodge starting with wins, culminating into what we'd hoped would be his best recruiting class with a new stadium opening next Fall and then the very thing he said on his hiring day that "UNT must have a new football stadium" of which he would have been our HFC against the University of Houston Coog's at our palace's grand opening. As of today and barring a true miracle of how NCAA HFC's careers are usually measured, I just don't see this thing going past this season for Coach Dodge and, yes, it's another thing in life that is not fair--but it is the reality of the situation. The Hollywood ending would have been most of our preferences for Coach Todd Dodge. J

GMG!

oh here we go again with the cupboard was bare B***S***!!

Dodge has not gotten it done with his players now in their third season, so no one to blame but TD and himself if he get tossed to the unemployment line along with $150K in his pocket.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really doubt that you have any idea whether my stance would change or not. I do not want Leach anywhere near any program I care about...PERIOD. I don't care how many games he has won or may win in the future.

Now, if RV decides to hire the guy, he'll be UNT's coach and he would have my support because I support UNT, but I pray RV is smarter than that...and I do think he is MUCH smarter than to hire someone with the baggage Leach would bring. There are other and better coaches out there that would be much better suited for UNT. NO TO LEACH!

You are more than welcome to disagree.

Well I don't know wasn't RV the one who hired a high school football coach?

Oh and that baggage also comes with winning, recruiting, fundraising and credibility to the S-hole known as Lubbock, TX. I'd rather have that than TD's big bag of nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dodge has not gotten it done with his players now in their third season, so no one to blame but TD and himself if he get tossed to the unemployment line along with $150K in his pocket.

Well, you'd have to be crazy not to at least LOOK at the injuries...?

And again, I'll say it: No Excuses. This is simply the awful, awful hand Dodge has been dealt this year. Time to make lemonade out of the abundance of lemons, or pack up the office.

Think small, be small. But that's nothing new for UNT

Ok, how about this... I think Chris Peterson would be a perfect fit at North Texas. He has experience winning in a non-BCS conference. Lets all put his face as our avatars and spend countless threads now talking about that possibility. RV, go get your man!

• Downvote 2

Ok, how about this... I think Chris Peterson would be a perfect fit at North Texas. He has experience winning in a non-BCS conference. Lets all put his face as our avatars and spend countless threads now talking about that possibility. RV, go get your man!

Comparing the current coach of the #4 ranked team in the country to an out of work coach who has sued his last employer is just plain.... stupid.

Sorry, no other word for it.

Did you come into town and work out any of the players at the time to reach this conclusion? Please post your player evaluations. It take more than 1 or 2 studs on each side of the ball. Again, if the cupboard was so full, then why did Dickey's teams suck for two years while we all clamored for his scalp. i will agree that an experienced college coach with a college staff could have won maybe 3 belt games in the year after Dickey left. But the way you blast people, you would think we should have been in the New Orleans Bowl. You know, with size of our school, the amount of talent in DFW alone, not to mention the entire state, we should compete for the conference title year in and year out. After 4 straight ones, we should have been back two years from the last one. We weren't, so the cupboard was bare.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

If RV fires/re-assigns Dodge after the 6th loss it would allow the 30-day hiring window to start in mid-October. That would allow RV to hire a new coach in mid November if he needed to. This would allow a new coach to start the process of hiring assistants and start the process of hitting the recruiting trail much earlier then we did for Dodge's first season. It would also pump some blood into the fan base for the last half of the season and maybe put some more butts in the seats. 6 weeks can make all the difference in the world in the recruiting game.

You are dead on.

I think at most universities who have had losing streaks, you see the results you are talking about quickly. But Flyer, we won 4 conference championships, went to 4 bowls, and still nothing much in the way of donors changed. I went to a function the other night and there were the same donors there as there were ten years ago. Then there was talk of get rid of Dickey, and there will be more donations. Bottom line is, as you know more than anybody, without the students there would be no new stadium. You have people on this board who are waiting on a new conference before giving. What will be their excuse be when we get into a new conference?

Pretty much sums up our problems with UNT football. Those who think we can afford a Mike Leach are just crazy.

Pretty much sums up our problems with UNT football. Those who think we can afford a Mike Leach are just crazy.

See, I look at that and think that a Mike Leach type hire is the only way out of this mess and to prevent a backslide to FCS. What message does it send to your alums when you constantly try to do a football program on the cheap, hoping and praying to win the coaching lottery by consistently paying bottom market prices for completely unproven coaches? Does that excite ANYONE on this forum?? Think about how a casual alum views these types of hires. He probably doesn't, because he probably never hears about them.

If you want to stay cheap, do everyone a favor and just drop back to FCS football. Stop pretending to be something you aren't.

• Upvote 2

UNT now and UNT say 7 or 8 years ago is very different. Yes our alumni is still apathetic but IMO it is apples and oranges better. If the talk came where we have a chance to get Leach then the donors we already have would find a way to donate more and whoever doesn't donate would then do so at some capacity. Combine that with the athletic fee coming into place, there is no reason why we can't get a coach and pay in the vicinity of 1 million or so a year. I for one would donate more if I knew we had a guy like Leach ready to come on board. I mean as god awful TD has been in his tenure here you have to look at our attendance and part of it is Dodge but UNT has made a conscious effort of changing our perception and you are seeing the effects of all this slowly but surely.

Now I am not saying we will get Leach but I think we have the resources now that we can make a good splash in our next HC hire.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1