Byu Going Independent/wcc

MeanGreenTeeth

I think it'll affect us......because other than Utah State, which I think mainly BYU wanted.....I don't see anyone else out in the WAC that the MWC would want. And I don't think they would want to stay at 10 teams. I see them trying to get to 12. Houston? UTEP? North Texas?

Anyway....with this....there may be opportunities for us...in the MWC or CUSA.

So I don't think this is a bad thing....but we'll see.

• Upvote 2

Andy Katz is reporting that BYU is going independent with a news conference later today. Other sports to the WCC. How does that impact us?

mt. west could just stay at 10 teams. however, if they go to 12, look for utah st. to be # 11. the 12th school is the question. tcu wants a travel partner. however, utep and houston seem confortable in cusa, and tcu wants smu in mt. west about as much as smu wants us in cusa.the rest of wac gets hosed. probable nmsu to the belt,iu and sjsu to iaa.hawaii would then go independent if no mt.west bid, leaving latech no option other than back to the belt.i see no change in our position now. ain't this fun?

No, I am no Nostro'dumass, but I posted that this (still) might happen. Of course, the fact that the WAC's Commish Karl Benson did not give up till the 13'th hour with BYU made many of us think this possible. I felt if BYU did not do this this year, it would be next.

Instability with all these leagues may eventually be our best ally. We still have to take care of our business at UNT, though. This move is still most intriguing to me. Lets see how Indy' works out for BYU. One ESPN mogul said that if there is any one school that can make it work, it would be BYU.

GMG!

PS: TCU's Gary Patterson was livid with the possibility of this happening--hope it's not the beginning of a bad week for him. I suppose it shows that the (now) instability of the MWC affects those N.C. chances down the way for his Horned Frogs? They do lose a perennial Top 25 school out of their conference and that has to hurt.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does MWC stay put or try to add Houston and SMU?

I think the MWC will look really hard at the financial end of this deal. If adding two teams and a football conference championship game makes more money PER SCHOOL, they will add Utah State and one other school. That other school might be UTEP or Houston. At that point there will be a big scramble for schools to get into Conference USA. It should be interesting.

Edited by Huff

Don't know how it impacts us...but it sure makes the WAC feel like they dropped the soap.

Is there ANYBODY who still wants to board that train to nowhere?

No.

I'm willing to admit when I am wrong. I thought the WAC was an option for North Texas if we were overlooked by C-USA, but it is very obvious that the WAC is now on life support.

I think if a spot in C-USA opens up, we get in. If not, we now have no choice but to "Build the Belt".

Maybe in a few years BYU might take another shot a BCS glory by trying to create a new conference, comprised of the top non-AQ teams, and we will make the list.

BYU isn't going independent. I think its safe to assume that the MWC let the BYU pick which WAC schools it wanted to add to keep them in the Mountain West. The MWC will go to 12 and BYU will make more money because of a championship game, new tv deal, and better access to the BCS.

At any rate BYU has to sign an agreement with the WAC by Wednesday or the deal expires. BYU has no reason to wait for the 11th hour on this deal, if they were going Indy they would have announced already.

• Downvote 4

BYU isn't going independent. I think its safe to assume that the MWC let the BYU pick which WAC schools it wanted to add to keep them in the Mountain West. The MWC will go to 12 and BYU will make more money because of a championship game, new tv deal, and better access to the BCS.

At any rate BYU has to sign an agreement with the WAC by Wednesday or the deal expires. BYU has no reason to wait for the 11th hour on this deal, if they were going Indy they would have announced already.

CougarBlue.com says Indy' is a done deal.

GMG!

I'm sorry - but did you read this thread and, especially the link to the BYU announcement?

They just did announce it. Tonight.

From BYU's own athletics website.

We need to be on the phone ASAP scheduling some home & homes with BYU to come to the newest & nicest college football stadium in the approx. 8 million citizen populated Metroplex and UNT's........New Stadium @ The Mean Green Village. (TCU may tell them to take a hike)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Their web site says that they have. They will hold a press conference at noon tomorrow but the decision has been made.

With their withdrawal, I think that stops UTEP and Houston from considering MWC membership and may have TCU looking for the exit.

Does MWC stay put or try to add Houston and SMU?

From everything I've seen, I think they are "leaning" toward making a play for Houston, but I am not convinced that Houston would accept. If BYU had stayed, I think they would have taken a long hard look at it, but without BYU, what's the point? Hmm. Lots to ponder.

• Upvote 1

I am always with you :D Let the moot be with you young willie! :ph34r:

This is just a little too Biblical for this thread!

OK, the WAC is now dead. Yes, they can hope to pick up at least two FCS schools and hope they qualify in two years. But, the WAC as it was known is now dead.

The question becomes, what happens to the survivors - specifically NMSU and La Tech? Frankly, I could not care less about the others as far as NT's future is concerned.

If NMSU applies quickly, I think the Sun Belt could add them for the 2011 season. La Tech is on their own, at least for now. I think the Sun Belt should not call them and make them come to us. PUBLICLY! Fine, then they can join the Southland except the Southland now requires you to participate in ALL SPORTS including football. No more independents with SLC for all other sports.

Texas State and UTSA are not going to get the chance to go FBS any time soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1