Is Rice A Must Win ?

NT03

It's about that time for a HOT sports topic before the season.

Would you consider the RICE game a must win game for Todd Dodge ?

I say yes. Let's face it we will be heavy underdogs vs the likes of Clemson,Troy,MTSU & K -State. Dodge has to win 7 games and if we lose to those 4 Dodge would have to go 7 - 1 in all other games.

Rice was one of the youngest teams in the country , is under a 2nd year head coach & was 2 - 10 last season. This game reminds me of the SMU game a few years back. It's important for so many reasons. Big for the players , recruiting and the fans. We have several casual fans out there for the home opener like we do every year so I think a win would bring most people back for the next home game

We got our a$$ handed to us the last time we played them so there should be no shortage of motivation. Rice would probably be a middle of the pack , lower tier Belt team so this should be a good measuring stick on where we might wind up @ the end of the season

If Dodge can't win this game then I can't see him reaching his 7 wins.

Edited by NT03

Nope.

Every game is important, and I want to win every game. And this may be our most important OOC game, and one that I especially want to win after what they did to us last time.

But we just don't know what Rice team we're going to see this year. Rice had a down year last year, and that may well have been an aberration. They will have some serious depth at RB, including a transfer from Michigan who had to sit out last year. Last year's starting QB may well wind up #3 on the depth chart. Rice will certainly be a better team than last year, and may even be at the upper echelon of C-USA.

Whether we win or lose will make the road significantly more or less managable, no doubt. But I wouldn't necessarily write the whole rest of the season off if we lost that game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yes. Also, if we're heavy underdogs to KState by the time we play them, either they're the surprise team of the Big 12, or Dodge should have his resume ready.

How we have fared against BCS teams under Dodge :

2009 lost 53 - 7 vs Bama

2008 lost 45 - 6 vs KState

2008 lost 41 - 3 vs LSU

2007 lost 79 - 10 vs OU

2007 lost 66 - vs ARK

In 2008 K State was 2 - 6 in the BIG XII.

Edited by NT03

Didn't Rice start taking a knee late in the 3rd quarter ?

I don't know about that, but the Rice team and coaches were all class when we played them. I think there were some uncalled-for comments made by the MOB (Marching Owl Band)--something to the effect of "UNT graduates are good for mowing our lawns."

How we have fared against BCS teams under Dodge :

2009 lost 53 - 7 vs Bama

2008 lost 45 - 6 vs KState

2008 lost 41 - 3 vs LSU

2007 lost 79 - 10 vs OU

2007 lost 66 - vs ARK

In 2008 K State was 2 - 6 in the BIG XII.

Exactly. That's why we should not be heavy underdogs headed into that game and still expect for him to be here in 2011. I'm tired of ass kickings in out of conference games. I can see us as heavy underdogs to Clemson, but not to K State.

I don't know about that, but the Rice team and coaches were all class when we played them. I think there were some uncalled-for comments made by the MOB (Marching Owl Band)--something to the effect of "UNT graduates are good for mowing our lawns."

I believe they said something along the lines of "North Texas is one of the top music schools in the nation, so the next time you see a UNT grad, remember to tip your waiter."

I believe they said something along the lines of "North Texas is one of the top music schools in the nation, so the next time you see a UNT grad, remember to tip your waiter."

ouch! Makes you wonder what they pull out for UofH?

The MOB spares nobody. What their band does may be a reflection of the frustration that comes with so many losses. Whereas the Green Brigade doesn't do anything special for the opposing teams.

After they pulled that, we had Rice alumni on the board apologizing for it. Even they thought the MOB went a little over the line against us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's the first home game of the season, so it's HUGE. Of course, I'm also the one who's attitude is "I DIDN'T COME HERE TO LOSE". AND I have this strange notion that the head coach, the assistant coaches, the players, the administrators, and especially the alumni and students, should have the same attitude.

But what do I know, I'm just one voice in the crowd.....albiet an obnoxious voice.

Which reminds me. The only thing I'll miss about Fouts will be the coaching staff walking up the steps to the press box....... :rolleyes: