Non-White Helmets This Year?

The apple green, different from lime, uniforms were and are the best uniforms NT has ever had. Instantly recognizable and a logo that spawned the current Iowa Hawkeye and the Kansas State Wildcat.I am also a fan of the emerald green, but it was too dark on television and prefer the current green, which I believe is NT's official color, to the darker shade. I am not a fan of the green on green or green on black uniform though. I much prefer a green jersey with white pants w/ stripes and either white on white or white on solid green pants. Just my preferences.

I would be in favor of a "flying worm era" throw-back uni game. The only possible draw back to it would be that you would have to either leave the helmets white(with a worm logo in the original color), or repaint the helmets "apple green" like the original ones during the Hayden Fry era.

• Upvote 2

Apparently not. Out of the 28 Division I teams with a color in their moniker, 11 wear helmets that "match". Break the stats down further, and only 5 out of 17 FBS (old Division I-A) "match" but 6 of 11 in FCS (old Division I-AA) wear their color. I'm not saying that I like UNT's white helmets, but the numbers don't lie, most Division I-FBS teams don't have a helmet to match their moniker; while not overwhelming, more FCS schools have "matching" helmets then those that don't.

Alabama Crimson Tide: :w00t:

alabama.gif

Arkansas State Red Wolves:

arkansasst.gif

Army Black Knights:

armyold6.gif

California Golden Bears:

california.gif

Central Connecticut State Blue Devils: :w00t:

centralconnecticutst.gif

Cornell Big Red: :w00t:

cornell.gif

Dartmouth Big Green:

dartmouth.gif

Delaware Blue Hens: :w00t:

delaware.gif

Duke Blue Devils:

dukebu.gif

FIU Golden Panthers:

floridainternational.gif

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets:

georgiatech.gif

Harvard Crimson: :w00t:

harvard.gif

Kent State Golden Flashes:

kentst.gif

Maine Black Bears:

maineb.gif

Marist Red Foxes:

marist.gif

Miami (OH) RedHawks:

miamioh.gif

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders:

middletennesseest.gif

Presbyterian Blue Hose:

presbyterian.gif

Rutgers Scarlet Knights: :w00t:

rutgers.gif

Southeast Missouri State RedHawks: :w00t:

southeastmissourist.gif

Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles:

southernmississippi.gif

Saint Francis (PA) Red Flash: :w00t:

stfrancispa.gif

Stanford Cardinal:

stanfordold8.gif

Syracuse Orange: :w00t:

syracuse.gif

Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles:

tennesseetech.gif

Texas Tech Red Raiders:

texastech.gif

Tulane Green Wave: Green helmet :w00t:

tulane.gif

Tulsa Golden Hurricanes: :w00t:

tulsa.gif

Seems like UNT isn't the only Division I team to "say one thing and wear another"

northtexas.gif

That being said, I do think UNT should ditch the white helmets, but if any helmet changes happen, the uniforms would have to change too. UNT should take inspiration from other teams that have white as one of their two colors (ex. Arkansas, Cincinnati, Indiana, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Rutgers, etc.)

Most of these schools have color describing an actual object. Our name is a color, much like Syracuse (I know it may have been a native American when they were Orangemen). What color is Syracuse's helmet now??? Orange. Ours should be green. It just makes too much sense.

• Upvote 1

I like this helmet. I'm tired of the white helmets and I"m against putting the SOW on our helmets. If we were nationally recognizable, then fine, but we aren't. The only way I know a Maryland is in a game is seeing Terps on the side of their helmet. With the SOW on our helmet we are old school Philly look-a-likes and go by the name Northern Texas or Northern Texas State. I say keem NORTH TEXAS on the helmet!

You might get your wish. Check out the helmet in front of Rick in the latest stadium promotional video on meangreensports.com. Looks like the previous green helmet but with a white stripe down the middle outlined in black. Maybe this is the next generation helmet. I don't know why else he would have a helmet like this.

You might get your wish. Check out the helmet in front of Rick in the latest stadium promotional video on meangreensports.com. Looks like the previous green helmet but with a white stripe down the middle outlined in black. Maybe this is the next generation helmet. I don't know why else he would have a helmet like this.

To be honest, I don't really like that helmet in the video.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think I like it. I would prefer the SOW, or even better, the NT Exes interlocking NT. But I think it looks better than any other helmet we've had in the past 10 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i would like to see a "talon"[eagle claw] on the helment, simular to clemson's use of a tigers paw. i would like to see green helments/uniforms simular to marshall's. i would like to see a winning team, simular to troy,s. i would like to see the north texas dancers wear even less, simular to the million dollar saloon. i would like to see the market at 14,000, simular to 1997/98. i would like to see well enought to find my meds,........

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I like that new green helmet much better than the current white SLC-looking one. Next move is to just put the logo on it for the new stadium opening! :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just happy that the helmet is green again. They could put nothing on the side for all I care. If we're the Mean Green, the helmet should be green. We're not the Mean White with Green and Black Trim...no matter how much the Southlake Fakes wanted it to be that way.

(Also...Jah ain't lookin' so good these days. With all that Ticket money, he needs to hire a personal trainer, yo.)

I'm just happy that the helmet is green again. They could put nothing on the side for all I care. If we're the Mean Green, the helmet should be green. We're not the Mean White with Green and Black Trim...no matter how much the Southlake Fakes wanted it to be that way.

(Also...Jah ain't lookin' so good these days. With all that Ticket money, he needs to hire a personal trainer, yo.)