Non-White Helmets This Year?

2db01gk.jpg

i would love a return to the green helmet. this looks great to me. the further removed from the southlake carroll knock-offs we had under todd dodge, the better. i loved the uniforms they had right before they changed them when dodge took over. the only thing i would want to keep from the dodge era is the shift to kelly green instead of the previous forest green. with all of this in mind though, i'd REALLY like for them to just pick a uniform look and stick to it.

Not going to lie, I like the white better.

You know what...without the SOW, I agree...the white helmets are better. Kind of disappointed if those are the helmets we roll onto the field for the first game of '11.

However, if we have a .500 season or better than I really could care less what they look like.

...unless they were pink, of course! :D

• Upvote 1

You might get your wish. Check out the helmet in front of Rick in the latest stadium promotional video on meangreensports.com. Looks like the previous green helmet but with a white stripe down the middle outlined in black. Maybe this is the next generation helmet. I don't know why else he would have a helmet like this.

That video was shot almost a year ago. Usually a new head coach gets to put is indelible mark on helmet and uniform selection. Therefore, I would think that this helmet would not necessarily be the one we see...Coach Mac may want something altogether different.

That video was shot almost a year ago. Usually a new head coach gets to put is indelible mark on helmet and uniform selection. Therefore, I would think that this helmet would not necessarily be the one we see...Coach Mac may want something altogether different.

That post was posted almost a year ago also.

• Upvote 1

i would love a return to the green helmet. this looks great to me. the further removed from the southlake carroll knock-offs we had under todd dodge, the better. i loved the uniforms they had right before they changed them when dodge took over. the only thing i would want to keep from the dodge era is the shift to kelly green instead of the previous forest green. with all of this in mind though, i'd REALLY like for them to just pick a uniform look and stick to it.

i was in Denton yesterday to select my seats, and was told by our athletic marketing department that uniforms,including helments, will be kelly green with "NORTH TEXAS" on both. coach MAC wants a clean look. they didn't know if the jerseys would have an eagle on sleeve or not. RV wants "NORTH TEXAS" on helment, but rest of uniform is coach MAC's decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i was in Denton yesterday to select my seats, and was told by our athletic marketing department that uniforms,including helments, will be kelly green with "NORTH TEXAS" on both. coach MAC wants a clean look. they didn't know if the jerseys would have an eagle on sleeve or not. RV wants "NORTH TEXAS" on helment, but rest of uniform is coach MAC's decision.

by 'clean look' does he mean 1990's look? his ISU uniforms were terrible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV wants "NORTH TEXAS" on helment,

I like RV and 99.9% of what he has done, but why is he so tied to having "North Texas" on the helmets when it appears that the majority of the fans would prefer a logo? The "showing up on television" arguement is ridiculous considering we have North Texas on our jerseys, so come up with another one.

• Upvote 4

My problem with the white helmet, and the uniforms during the recent coaching era, are that they were a direct copy of Southlake Carroll. It made me feel the coach during that time cared more about continuing his legacy from that school than building one at North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Look, the truth is - as it always has been - the f'ing helmets need to be green. We are the MEAN GREEN, not the MEAN WHITE.

The "NORTH TEXAS" assuredly sucks, but it's better than the cartoon birds from '94-'00. Far superior choices are obviously SOW or an interlocking NT or UNT.

Out of all the sandblasted helmets we've had, I can't believe we've never gone whole hog with NTSU back in the day or UNT from '86 on up.

I'd be for at least giving the full UNT a shot...as long as it's not on a white helmet.

Blue Diamond Almonds has these little packages of almonds that they sell in a carton of seven (7) bags and they claim to have only 100 calories per bag so if you are trying to be healthy or lose weight or trying to be healthy you could go to a grocery store and buy a carton and then eat maybe one bag every afternoon if you get hungry after lunch or eat them in the morning if you get hungry after breakfast or eat them at home if you get hungry at dinner because it says right there on the bag there are only 100 calories worth of almonds per bag so you will know that you are not overeating and that you are at least stuffing something nutritious into your toothy cake hole for a change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the concern about" UNT "on helment, i'm told, is that unless you are from Texas and surrounding area, you might not know what it stands for. personaly, i would like the eagle talon on the helment. i have never seen one, it is different, and i think our current eagle look like charlie the chicken hawk from the fog horn/leg horn cartoons of my childhood.just an old mans opinion.

This post has been promoted to an article

And, yet:

North Carolina State

North Carolina

Georgia Tech

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Cincinnati

Connecticut

Rutgers

Syracuse

West Virginia

Illinois

Purdue

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Baylor

Kansas

Missouri

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

East Carolina

Marshall

Memphis

UAB

Central Florida

Houston

Rice

UTEP

Tulane

Buffalo

Bowling Green

Kent State

Miami (OH)

Central Michigan

Eastern Michigan

Northern Illinois

TCU

UNLV

Oregon

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

Arizona

Colorado

ULCA

Utah

Auburn

LSU

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbilt

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

Western Kentucky

Middle Tennessee State

Hawaii

Lousiana Tech

New Mexico State

Utah State

and BYU all have letters or interlocking letters on their helmets. This is only 65 of the 120 FBS schools, though.

• Upvote 3

the concern about" UNT "on helment, i'm told, is that unless you are from Texas and surrounding area, you might not know what it stands for. personaly, i would like the eagle talon on the helment. i have never seen one, it is different, and i think our current eagle look like charlie the chicken hawk from the fog horn/leg horn cartoons of my childhood.just an old mans opinion.

Hmmm. Foghorn Leghorn eh? How 'bout this on our helmet?

• Upvote 1

wardly, I'm not arguing with you on this, just the person in the AD that has this belief.

1. If people buy a ticket and attend a game and look at a helmet with UNT on it and don't realize this stands for the University of North Texas, then the ticket buying public is stupid.

2. If I turn a game on television and know who is playing, let's say the Houston Cougars versus the North Texas Mean Green Eagles, I would think I could figure out who's helmet had UH on it and who had UNT or an eagle.

3. I prefer that we have a white SOW on a green helmet and considering our jerseys say "North Texas" across the front, I think I can figure out who they are.

I've heard the same comment before and it is a weak one at best.

• Upvote 3

2. If I turn a game on television and know who is playing, let's say the Houston Cougars versus the North Texas Mean Green Eagles, I would think I could figure out who's helmet had UH on it and who had UNT or an eagle.

You need to think of the people whose literacy begins and ends with football helmets.

• Upvote 1

wardly, I'm not arguing with you on this, just the person in the AD that has this belief.

1. If people buy a ticket and attend a game and look at a helmet with UNT on it and don't realize this stands for the University of North Texas, then the ticket buying public is stupid.

3. I prefer that we have a white SOW on a green helmet and considering our jerseys say "North Texas" across the front, I think I can figure out who they are.

There are many instances where our helmets are seen and nothing else. Watch NFL draft coverage. We are usually on highlights (or lowlights) and all that's seen of us is our helmets.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

There are many instances where our helmets are seen and nothing else. Watch NFL draft coverage. We are usually on highlights (or lowlights) and all that's seen of us is our helmets.

I've never seen an action shot that only includes helmets, and if we have someone drafted high enough that they need to place our helmet on their desk then I would hope they've mentioned our name once or twice.

• Upvote 2

this is not my position, just our ad's office. problem we have is that if we are now "mean green"[which i hate], how can you put an eagle on your helment or uniform without confusing the issue? and if you use interlocking lettets, are they "NT" or "UNT"? i think we are known as " NORTH TEXAS ", not"UNT", but hey, thats just me.