Pac-10 To Offer Invites To 6 Big-12 Schools

UNTflyer

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

--------------

From "local expert" Chip Brown.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

--------------

From "local expert" Chip Brown.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/06/03/six-big-12-schools-to-the-pac-10

This would not be good for us at all. Suddenly the WAC and Mountain West will swoop down on Kansas/Kansas State to become a 12-team league. Missouri goes Big 10/11. Nebraska, Iowa State, and Baylor left without a date.

The only way to save the Big 12 would be a merger with C-USA. If that happens let's hope the east coast teams run for the Big East/ACC/SEC conferences and the new Big 12 is left looking around Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma for teams.

Edited by UNTflyer

I believe that Nebraska will be in the new Big Ten with Missouri. If the scenario that Chip Brown is talking about does come to fruition, the only thing I could see happening there would be if the SEC added the Kansas schools (mainly for hoops, which needs some more big names). Its hard for me to see KU and K-State playing in the MWC, which would be a huge step-down for both of them, but then again, they may have no choice.

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Aggies are more interested in joining the SEC:

Could Ags, Horns go separate ways?

Take Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne's reaction Wednesday when asked if the Southeastern Conference is an option for the Aggies, should the Big 12 break up. "It might be,'' Byrne said, pausing. "You know what? It might be.''

I believe that Nebraska will be in the new Big Ten with Missouri. If the scenario that Chip Brown is talking about does come to fruition, the only thing I could see happening there would be if the SEC added the Kansas schools (mainly for hoops, which needs some more big names). Its hard for me to see KU and K-State playing in the MWC, which would be a huge step-down for both of them, but then again, they may have no choice.

Assuming the Big 12 just dies out completely the MWC would/should be next in line to get an automatic BCS spot. IF that plays out then perhaps the MWC isn't as big of a step down as it would be in the current landscape.

This is the first of the mega changes that appears to make sense. It lines up athletically, academically, culturally, in media market terms and politically. Everything balances well. The lower markets and lower academics of some of the schools are more than offset by others. Taking all three of the Texas public schools will satisfy the legislature that must sign off on the deal. The same applies to taking both OU and OSU - it balances. Even the culture balances - Stanford would not like A&M, but Texas and Colorado help the balance and the deal can be sold as all or nothing.

Lack of balance was the problem with either BYU or Utah or just Colorado.

As for Bill Byrne's reaction to a completely theoretical question, it reads as though he just gave a completely theoretical answer. Reading "It might be. You know, it just might be" as A&M is joining the SEC is extremely imaginative at best. He would have a hard time jumping without Texas and both would meet a lot of West Texas legislative resistance to passing any changes. As we have recently found, it is very easy for an legislative change to be blocked by a loud minority.

I'm sure the analysis of the value of a Big Whatever network is good. If anything, the article understates the value.

This is the first of the mega changes that appears to make sense. It lines up athletically, academically, culturally, in media market terms and politically. Everything balances well. The lower markets and lower academics of some of the schools are more than offset by others. Taking all three of the Texas public schools will satisfy the legislature that must sign off on the deal. The same applies to taking both OU and OSU - it balances. Even the culture balances - Stanford would not like A&M, but Texas and Colorado help the balance and the deal can be sold as all or nothing.

Lack of balance was the problem with either BYU or Utah or just Colorado.

As for Bill Byrne's reaction to a completely theoretical question, it reads as though he just gave a completely theoretical answer. Reading "It might be. You know, it just might be" as A&M is joining the SEC is extremely imaginative at best. He would have a hard time jumping without Texas and both would meet a lot of West Texas legislative resistance to passing any changes. As we have recently found, it is very easy for an legislative change to be blocked by a loud minority.

I'm sure the analysis of the value of a Big Whatever network is good. If anything, the article understates the value.

VideoEagle... Why would anybody desire the type of "balance" you are describing? Small market-low prestige schools are not desirable to the West Coast Elites. I don't know OK politics, but my understanding is that Tech's political power is the state legislature is significantly less that it was 15 years ago. All the PAC-10 would really like to do is take Colorado and Texas. I just don't see those 2 schools going to bat for the other 4.

Oklahoma State and Tech are in the package for the same reason that Baylor found its way into the Big 12- political necessity.

If you have to take Oklahoma State to ensure that the state allows Oklahoma to join the Pac 10, and if you have to take Tech to guarantee approval for Texas and A&M... It's worth it.

That's probably why Kansas is getting left out of this shuffle.

Oklahoma State and Tech are in the package for the same reason that Baylor found its way into the Big 12- political necessity.

If you have to take Oklahoma State to ensure that the state allows Oklahoma to join the Pac 10, and if you have to take Tech to guarantee approval for Texas and A&M... It's worth it.

That's probably why Kansas is getting left out of this shuffle.

Which begs the question: Who would our conference change dance partner be?

Also, who gives a crap about the Big 12 and Pac 10. How does this affect us (and in that context: me!)

This would not be good for us at all. Suddenly the WAC and Mountain West will swoop down on Kansas/Kansas State to become a 12-team league. Missouri goes Big 10/11. Nebraska, Iowa State, and Baylor left without a date.

The only way to save the Big 12 would be a merger with C-USA. If that happens let's hope the east coast teams run for the Big East/ACC/SEC conferences and the new Big 12 is left looking around Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma for teams.

It depends. Much of the Big 12 footprint is already in Texas. What if they tried to salvage as much as possible of the Texas market?

They could salvage two Top 10 markets by adding TCU, SMU and North Texas for the DFW market and Houston and Rice for the Houston market. Tulsa could hold their own and be a bridge between the north and the south.

In fact, why not make it a 16-team league as well and invite Memphis, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss and Tulane. With the exception of Missouri and Arkansas that would give a healthy portion of the Midlands.

I know, I know. We've been nothing for the last five years. Does that mean our 326,000 alums go away forever? Does the largest number of alumni in the #4 market not count for anything? Does 45 years in the FBS not count? Do 36,000 students all go home on the weekend? I contend that given the same conference and a similar schedule to Houston that we can top their attendance. Sell potential. We have a lot more than we used to have.

• Upvote 2

The Big 12 has now cancelled its press conference scheduled for this evening.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5248220

From reading that article, it sounds like there's more fire smoke to Chip Brown's anonymously sourced story.

If all the speculation is true, there could be four Big XII schools without chairs when the music stops. Do the remaining schools, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor, bring enough to the table on their own merits to get other schools to leave the WAC, CUSA and/or SBC to form a new conference? Rice, SMU, Houston, La Tech and Tulsa come to mind. TCU seems happy with the MWC, but would they consider a reunification with their former SWC-mates? Enter North Texas and the SBC - I think any one SBC school from Arkansas, Tennessee or Louisiana could make sense from geographical perspective. As a last resort, aspiring FBS schools Texas State and UTSA could be considered.

Generally, I tend to ignore as much of the conference realignment talk as I can, but it feels different this year. The proverbial sh*t is about to hit the fan and I'm really concerned that North Texas could get left out in the cold.

The reaction on Hornfans.com seems to indicate approval.

This is insanity! Why is it so many times in the world of the NCAA people just always want to be where they ain't? wink.gif(The MWC or CUSA would still be nice, though, now wouldn't it)?

PS: Hello fellow North Texas Exes & Mean Greeners! DJ business is going fine. Even in this economy weddings seem to still be happening full throttle & that is 80% of our business).

Have a minute? huh.gif Take a dose of dramamine (if you get motion sickness from probably way too many animated gifs) & visit us at www.soundworksdeejay.com

(BTW, the new stadium is looking fabulous). clapping.gif

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1