Beneath the hype of the Cowboys and Rangers lies DFWs most consistent team. How does a team who has won 50 games 10 years in a row get overlooked? By never quite being good enough. The hooplah around the Rangers this year was based around the drastic changes that happened last year, but the most likely championship team in DFW is the boring old Mavs.

Last night's win was fueled by Dirk Nowitzki's 36 points and 12-14 shooting from the floor on Sunday. Probably the most exciting thing I read about the Mavs this year was this:

"Dirk couldn't wait for the playoffs," Mavs guard J.J. Barea said. "The last game of the season he was so mad, he couldn't wait."

With the Mavs in high gear and the Lakers struggling down the stretch is this finally the year?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, when is Dirk going to miss a free throw? IIRC, he's hit 86 in a row. The record is 97 I believe. I can't believe how well we played last night, despite JET having a very off night. Butler stepped up nicely

I don't think the post-season counts for those records (?)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the Mavs get "overlooked" a bit due to their post-season record of never having won it and from losing that series to Miami in the finals a couple of seasons ago. But, to say the Mavs are overlooked is being a bit "harsh". Seems to me that this season's coverage by the DMN and the local radio and TV folks has been exceptional. maybe you were referring to the national media, but, I would have to say the Mavs got a pretty decent shake from the local folks...and always seem to get good coverage.

You want poor coverage and no respect....try being FC Dallas. I know that it doesn't compare in "scope" to the Cowboys, Mavs or Rangers, but for those who do follow the "beautiful game", the local coverage sucks! If you want to compare, even on a relative basis, the Mavs do quite well. Even the lowly Stars get tremendous coverage compared to FC Dallas. Like the sport or not, FC Dallas is a local professional sports team, and the coverage should be much better from the local folks.

Anyway, good luck to the Mavs. This could be the year...it better be the "year" soon or Dirk will be one of the best players ever to grace an NBA floor without ever having won a championship ring. If he thinks this is it for the Mavs will he do what many players do in the twilight of their careers and move to a team that really does have a shot at a championship? Maybe to the team that gets LaBron in the summer "free for all" perhaps? Just wondering what some think.

I hope the Mavs can do it this year and win it all, they seem to have the team with the best shot in some years. Go get 'em Mavs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think the Mavs get "overlooked" a bit due to their post-season record of never having won it and from losing that series to Miami in the finals a couple of seasons ago. But, to say the Mavs are overlooked is being a bit "harsh". Seems to me that this season's coverage by the DMN and the local radio and TV folks has been exceptional. maybe you were referring to the national media, but, I would have to say the Mavs got a pretty decent shake from the local folks...and always seem to get good coverage.

You want poor coverage and no respect....try being FC Dallas. I know that it doesn't compare in "scope" to the Cowboys, Mavs or Rangers, but for those who do follow the "beautiful game", the local coverage sucks! If you want to compare, even on a relative basis, the Mavs do quite well. Even the lowly Stars get tremendous coverage compared to FC Dallas. Like the sport or not, FC Dallas is a local professional sports team, and the coverage should be much better from the local folks.

Anyway, good luck to the Mavs. This could be the year...it better be the "year" soon or Dirk will be one of the best players ever to grace an NBA floor without ever having won a championship ring. If he thinks this is it for the Mavs will he do what many players do in the twilight of their careers and move to a team that really does have a shot at a championship? Maybe to the team that gets LaBron in the summer "free for all" perhaps? Just wondering what some think.

I hope the Mavs can do it this year and win it all, they seem to have the team with the best shot in some years. Go get 'em Mavs.

..because FC Dallas doesn't sell papers or get ratings. In fact, it does almost the opposite on the local sports media front. Look, I live in Frisco, I've been to games, I'm not a Hoops (the team, not the sport) hater, and I dig soccer at least a bit. But comparing the team formerly named after a gonorrhea symptom to the Mavs, Boys, Rangers, or Stars is silly. FCD has averaged less than 12k a game over their entire history, including a year when they averaged sub-8k in a 11k seat high school stadium. They've never averaged more than 15.4k a game for any season, and many of these fans are spanish speaking... I'm not sure what sort of coverage FCD gets in the local Spanish media, however. Fact is, I root for FCD and loosely follow them, but they're a professional sport in so much as the Dallas Vigilantes or Frisco Roughriders are, and get covered more than appropriately in this market.

• Upvote 6

Dirk only has two more games to play this season to get any record. So call him & tell him to hurry on those free throws!

GO SPURS GO !

I like this post because it captures the Spurs and Mavs fanbases perfectly.

For the Spurs, a basic ignorance of the rules of the game and how the record is kept and for the Mavs, an over-celebration of a meaningless record.

• Downvote 1

Wow...what is it with the Mavs and the playoffs? This is a tank job of the highest proportion if it ends the way it so looks like it will end. Hard to imagine, but given the Mavs recent playoff history.....

GO Mavs...let's at least take a run at it. The Spurs have won three in a row, and while the odds are against it, the Mavs can do the same...go MAVS! I hope...........

Wow...what is it with the Mavs and the playoffs? This is a tank job of the highest proportion if it ends the way it so looks like it will end. Hard to imagine, but given the Mavs recent playoff history.....

GO Mavs...let's at least take a run at it. The Spurs have won three in a row, and while the odds are against it, the Mavs can do the same...go MAVS! I hope...........

I think that the Mavs are more aware than most that you can lose a series when up 3-1.

Edited by forevereagle

They may be aware of it, but so far they aren't playing like they know how to win a series. Still time...don't give up the ship yet, mavs fans. You never really " until you know"...I think the famous philosopher, Yogi Berra, said that first! laugh.gif

Go Mavs!