Leavitt Fired At Usf

untStein

Well, like Tech, thre is something more that is being said behind the scenes. The player came out and said that he didnt do anything wrong. The James clan didnt do that.

And yes, Bring him here in a heartbeat. Im not even sure Id wait until next year. This is a coach that took a program from scratch and passed us about 4 years ago and already has them in a BCS conference. Should there really be any debae in bringing him here?

This guy will end up as a DC at a BCS school again.

Hey...Charlie Weis already got another NFL gig as offensive coordinator with the Chiefs. Leavitt is a great defensive coach...and the player in question is even defending him. Someone will snap up Leavitt.

I'd say, put him on our list, though. But, I've said before that our short list should be long enough to include almost every former BCS coach you can think of.

Amazing that a program only 13 years old could pay their coach that kind of money. "Leavitt was in the second year of a seven-year, $12.6 million contract."

Even more amazing.

Leavitt was hired in December 1995 and launched USF's program from scratch, operating out of trailers on campus in the early years while guiding the Bulls' swift progression from Division I-AA to BCS conference member.

Rick

This guy will end up as a DC at a BCS school again.

Hey...Charlie Weis already got another NFL gig as offensive coordinator with the Chiefs. Leavitt is a great defensive coach...and the player in question is even defending him. Someone will snap up Leavitt.

I'd say, put him on our list, though. But, I've said before that our short list should be long enough to include almost every former BCS coach you can think of.

Totally agree. He'll be a bona fide DC in the SEC or ACC. He did a FANTASTIC job in bringing along a program from it's infancy.

"Leavitt was hired in December 1995 and launched USF's program from scratch, operating out of trailers on campus in the early years while guiding the Bulls' swift progression from Division I-AA to BCS conference member."

Guess they never heard of the 25 year plan. If only they didn't have such a head start on us 14 years ago.

Well, like Tech, thre is something more that is being said behind the scenes. The player came out and said that he didnt do anything wrong.

The player didn't say that until after he told his high school coach (a deacon) and another player, both of whom have gone on the record with what he told them. It sounds to me like he backed off the story to get the heat off Leavitt, not because it didn't happen.

The player didn't say that until after he told his high school coach (a deacon) and another player, both of whom have gone on the record with what he told them. It sounds to me like he backed off the story to get the heat off Leavitt, not because it didn't happen.

From the article I linked to:

The 33-page investigative report, obtained first by FanHouse, shows Leavitt regularly lied during his interview with the investigator. It shows that Leavitt told Miller that he should "choose his words wisely" because Leavitt was "the most powerful man in the building," an exchange that was reported in FanHouse's initial story.

One player, identified as "Student Athlete C" told investigators that Leavitt "flat out lied" in his denial of the incident and "every word in the FanHouse article is accurate."

The investigative report, conducted by Thomas Gonzalez, found several instances where Leavitt lied to the investigator.

Among them that Leavitt "denied grabbing or slapping [Miller]" during the game.

The findings also indicate "Leavitt was told not to discuss the review with any Student Athlete" ... "nevertheless, he admits having spoken to [Miller] immediately after [Miller's] first interview."

According to the investigative report, Miller initially denied having been grabbed by the throat or struck, but provided the names of five other student athletes to investigators. Two of the five athletes had seen the event and described it as, "involving Coach Leavitt grabbing [Miller]by the throat with one hand and 'slapping' or 'striking' [Miller's] face with his other hand."

"Student Athlete H" said he remembered that [Miller] looked "shocked" and definitely was "shook up" after it.

Another student athlete warned of the coach, "When Leavitt's doing his thing, I stay away."

In the report, Leavitt claimed he didn't know Miller had a "bad first half," nor did he remember Miller's penalty, an illegal block on a punt return. Leavitt said he knelt so he could make eye contact with Miller, but the player did not respond. Leavitt says he shook [Miller's] knees, and asked "what's wrong [Miller], what's wrong?"

The coach then claimed he grabbed [Miller's] shoulder pads and told him he would do better. He denied grabbing his neck and said there was "no way" that his hand could have slipped or that he touched Miller's face.

However, several student athletes described the event much differently.

It goes on...just in case people like facts when debating.

"Student Athlete B" said Miller was looking up at the coach as Leavitt came quickly toward him. Leavitt then grabbed Miller by his throat and struck Miller's head twice with an open hand.

"Student Athlete B" told investigators that he was certain he had witnessed a crime. He also said he was unable to sleep or eat because of what he had witnessed and categorized it as "an assault." He added he felt betrayed and said he believed Leavitt had violated the program's values and standards.

Why wouldn't he get a head coaching gig? It probably won't be this upcoming season but all of these guys....Leach, Mangino, Leavitt etc will all get head coaching gigs despite these allegations. These people are too good of coaches to only be coordinators.

Oh, I think they all have a chance to become head coaches again, but maybe not in D1 college football real soon. Really, some of the problems involving other good coaches (Terry Bowden, Larry Coker, Coach Fran) seem fairly minor compared to the guys you mentioned; none of them have made it back to the D1 coaching ranks yet. I think that those doing the hiring of D1 coaches are seeing the guys on the way up, either successful head coaches from D2 and FCS, or coordinators from successful FBS programs, as worth taking a chance on, and seeing those with previous D1 head coaching success, but some baggage, less so.

Looking back to a few months ago, this is defiantely proving to be the best year to fire a college football coach and start all over.

OH WELL

:lol:

Your posts definitely make me laugh.

:lol:

Edited by UNTFan23

Well, to go from a coach who allegedly strikes players to one who allegedly puts them in dark closets would be a step up.

funny the player said the coach never hit him, but grabbed his shoulder pads and had no issues. Tired of the era of the whiny, wuss, entitlement driven athlete.

funny the player said the coach never hit him, but grabbed his shoulder pads and had no issues. Tired of the era of the whiny, wuss, entitlement driven athlete.

I'm tired of people not reading the details of this story and why he was fired.