Negativity

meangreen2018

Ok, I am SICK of the negativity on this board! I am SICK of hearing " Fire Dodge!" We lost this game not because of Todd Dodge, in fact almost all of our losses were not because of TD. We lost this game because of simple mistakes by the PLAYERS not the coaches. Riley was making very poor choices out there and we weren't holding onto the football.We lost this game because we can't finish. But that is a big improvement because we used to lose games because we just couldn't compete. These players have been competing all year. And don't try to tell me otherwise! We worked on competing this year and next year we work on finishing. And last, for those of you who repeatedly say your done with North Texas Football until TD is fired and those who didn't come to the game because they are done with UNT football, you are not a North Texas fan. Not a true one at least. No matter what happens, how the teams doing, if -50 and raining, I will go to the games because I love UNT football. That is a true fan.

Edited by meangreen2018
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, but the mistakes of our players lie at the feet of the coaches. Not being able to hold on to a lead and finish a game is the fault of the coaches. These kids are not being taught how to play at this level. That's why you have coaches in the first place - to teach the game of football.

Sorry, but the mistakes of our players lie at the feet of the coaches. Not being able to hold on to a lead and finish a game is the fault of the coaches. These kids are not being taught how to play at this level. That's why you have coaches in the first place - to teach the game of football.

It all goes back to practice, we tend to fade in the Fourth. I think and have heard our practices are not up to D1 intensity of winning programs in fact not even close. As Flyer says that is on the coaches.

Ok, I am SICK of the negativity on this board! I am SICK of hearing " Fire Dodge!" We lost this game not because of Todd Dodge, in fact almost all of our losses were not because of TD. We lost this game because of simple mistakes by the PLAYERS not the coaches. Riley was making very poor choices out there and we weren't holding onto the football.We lost this game because we can't finish. But that is a big improvement because we used to lose games because we just couldn't compete. These players have been competing all year. And don't try to tell me otherwise! We worked on competing this year and next year we work on finishing. And last, for those of you who repeatedly say your done with North Texas Football until TD is fired and those who didn't come to the game because they are done with UNT football, you are not a North Texas fan. Not a true one at least. No matter what happens, how the teams doing, if -50 and raining, I will go to the games because I love UNT football. That is a true fan.

I agree wholeheartedy. Top notch post. Great things are coming. They are coming most assuredly! Support the boys and their efforts each week on the field!

GMG

So how bad record wise does it have to get before you think a change is needed? Apparently 5 and 30 is not bad enough. Did you think that DD needed to go?

So how bad record wise does it have to get before you think a change is needed? Apparently 5 and 30 is not bad enough. Did you think that DD needed to go?

In case you have forgotten Darrell Dickey was 8 and 30 and on the brink of losing his job when the conference winning streak started.

Here is something else you might find interesting.

Darrell Dickey took over a 4-7 Matt Simon team and went 3-8, 2-9, and 3-8 in his first 3 years.

Todd Dodge took over a 3-9 Darrell Dickey team and went 2-10, 1-11, and 2-9 so far.

That means both coaches took over a team from the previous coach, won 1 less game each of the first 2 years and gained a win in the 3 yr (TD still has a chance for an extra win).

History should remind you that in DD's fourth year a pretty special time in our history started. I think history itself, our improvement over last year, and the high profile players we have slated for next year should be enough for Todd Dodge to coach the 2010 season. If we go 0-12 next year, you can beat me senseless.

In case you have forgotten Darrell Dickey was 8 and 30 and on the brink of losing his job when the conference winning streak started.

Darrell Dickey took over a 4-7 Matt Simon team and went 3-8, 2-9, and 3-8 in his first 3 years.

Todd Dodge took over a 3-9 Darrell Dickey team and went 2-10, 1-11, and 2-9 so far.

That means both coaches took over a team from the previous coach, won 1 less game each of the first 2 years and gained a win in the 3 yr (TD still has a chance for an extra win).

History should remind you that in DD's fourth year a pretty special time in our history started. I think history itself, our improvement over last year, and the high profile players we have slated for next year should be enough for Todd Dodge to coach the 2010 season. If we go 0-12 next year, you can beat me senseless.

So he has to go winless next year before you'd make a change? Will it take forty losses in four years before a change is indicated?

I am not sure that a DD comparison is the best way to win people over. He could have been easily let go after that start.

So he has to go winless next year before you'd make a change? Will it take forty losses in four years before a change is indicated?

I'm not exactly sure what he would have to do next year for me to want to make a change. What I do know is that if you had been in charge in 2001, there would not have been 4 straight conference championships sir. Todd Dodge needs to be here in 2010. Anything else would be a terrible mistake.

I'm not exactly sure what he would have to do next year for me to want to make a change. What I do know is that if you had been in charge in 2001, there would not have been 4 straight conference championships sir. Todd Dodge needs to be here in 2010. Anything else would be a terrible mistake.

You can't be sure of that, and maybe there would not be that embarrassing UNT Bowl rule.

I am not sure that a DD comparison is the best way to win people over. He could have been easily let go after that start.

He was probably within 1 game of being fired in 2001. At some point, we need to raise our standards. 5 or 8 wins in the first 3 seasons will not cut it anymore.

I can now sleep at night knowing that we have many members on the board who have are experienced enough to criticize the coaching, players and practices.

We just see it differently....I am thankful we have enough people that are tired of mediocrity. I believe emmitt posted a good thread earlier this season about criticizing things, so I will borrow something from that post. Do you ever go to place to eat, pay for the food, and criticize it if it is horrible? If so, are you a cook?

I am SICK of people on this board telling other people they are not real fans because they recognize what a train wreck our football program has become. I've been to every home game for the past 10 years and several away games, have you? I've been to every home basketball game for the past five years, have you? I'v been to almost every home soccer game for the past five years, have you? I've sat through rain, sleet, wind, cold weather, hot weather, and the spitting and cursing of away fans, have you? At what point are we good enough fans to have an opinion? Do we have to endure another 5 or 10 years of losing football? And lets get to your point regarding TD not being at fault. These are his recruits in his system running his plays. Who should get the blame? Is it Dickey, RV, Scrappy, the band??? Are we really to the point where its okay just to compete??? If so, I would say NT football has become the rec soccer program of college football. Maybe we should give the players orange slices at halftime and make sure everyone gets equal playing time. Somebody call Riley and tell him it's okay that he had four turnovers again as long as he tried hard.

As long as we're comparing Dickey and Dodge, it's worth pointing this out:

Dodge is 5-30 in his first 35 games with UNT, with wins over Western Kentucky (three times), Ball State, Louisiana-Monroe and 11 losses of 30 or more points.

Dickey was 8-27 at the same point in his tenure, with wins over Boise State (twice), New Mexico State (twice), Louisiana-Lafayette, Nevada, Samford and Texas Tech, and two losses of 30 or more points.

Dickey started out much better than Dodge. His teams were almost never blown out and he had a few high-profile wins against Texas Tech and Boise State.

I agree and then some. And do not tell me I enjoy mediocrity.

It all goes back to practice, we tend to fade in the Fourth. I think and have heard our practices are not up to D1 intensity of winning programs in fact not even close. As Flyer says that is on the coaches.

2 fumbles lost is Dodge's fault, 7 penalties for 50 yds is Dodge's fault, blocked point after and field goal blocked...is Dodge's fault...Hey I thought Todd Dodge was on the sideline.....not on the field....yeh I know everything that goes wrong is his fault.