Spring Preview

Brett Vito

Is there really hope that NT can win or are these changes just blowing more smoke??? Hopefully the past four years is not indicative of the future of NT FB. I truly hope Riley and Craig Roberson can be the leaders that inspire this team. In the past it seemed the fans cared more than the players. Coach Gandy what those not so special teams need is speed, discipline, and a kick in the butt. The speed they have to provide--you can handle the rest of it.

I'm beginning to see why everyone rags on Vitto. "On paper, there doesn’t seem to be much hope for a turnaround." I disagree, Brett. I believe this last recruiting class addressed some glaring needs, plus I also believe Todge has made some appropriate coaching changes for this team to at least have some moderate success. Conference championship? No. But I saw enough positives the last two months or so to renew my Mean Green Club donation and season tickets again. Trust me, we all know the situation over the past four years. I don't see the point of constantly being reminded of it. You don't have to be a cheerleader, but wouldn't a more positive spin be in order at least for the spring?

Yes, and while we are at it...wouldn't a more positive spin from some of our fellow "the sky is falling" folks on this board be in order in light of the new class, the coaching changes, the experience level of the head coach and the fact that several "not so interested" players have left the team?

Time to have some fun because "there is always next season" is now here!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

I'm beginning to see why everyone rags on Vitto. "On paper, there doesn’t seem to be much hope for a turnaround."

He is referring in regards to what every college football publication in America is going to be writing about us. There is not going to be anyone taking us to finish any better than the bottom 2 in our conference.

These are the publications many of our new fans will be reading, and therefore, in spring the team needs to show those fans something...Vito is right in what he is stating. Not everyone knows the team like many of us on the board...many fans don't see that we "might" have filled several holes on this team through our most recent recruiting class...many don't have a clue about the changes on the coaching staff...therefore, in spring the team needs to show those fans something!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

“Maybe I feel a little pressure, but I see what we can do,” Riley Dodge said. “We have to live up to our potential. We have a lot of great leadership on this team. I know what I am capable of and what the guys are capable of. We have to win. We can’t be 1-11 any more and we know that.”

How can Riley be a team leader with these Vitoish characteristics? Why must Rodge state that we were 1-11 last season, we all knew that and quite frankly I'm tired of Rodge throwing it in our face at every turn. He could have simply stated "We can't have another season like last year and we know that" why must he point out the record.

I'm very interested in seeing how the O-line battles turn out. We have alot of players who have not only playing experience but have been starters. Now throw in Drake, Hollivay(? was he the fatty last year), and the new JUCO Bean. We are going to have something that we haven't had in a long long time, depth and quality depth at that.

WR is going to be another intriguing spot to watch. It would be alot better if Rucker were on campus for Spring ball.

As for the D side, I am expecting Draylon Ross to impress this spring. It will be tough to get a good feel for the D-line as there are going to be so many new comers in the fall. We know what we have in Gilmore. Hopefully Russo will continue to improve as he did over the last part of the season.

WOULD PEOPLE PLEASE STOP MAKING VITO THE BAD GUY! :angry:

He is a PROFESSIONAL REPORTER NOT THE SID FOR NORTH TEXAS.

Geezz, we're acting like a bunch of unshaven, knuckle-dragging rubes instead of COLLEGE GRADUATES.

Do all of you have your job assessments done by your wives/girlfriends......or drinking buddies? If Vito wants to survive as a professional reporter, he has to NOT BE SOME PROGRAM'S CHEERLEADER.

Having said that, I would move the #1 item on the list to around three or four. I would put all of the defensive questions at the top. IMHO, they are much more critical at this point.

AND, obviously he doesn't see the RB position as being critical enough to be mentioned. He either thinks it's pretty solid, or he just overlooked it.

Edited by SilverEagle

I've taken exception to some of Vito's work in the past, but I think that was a very solid report. How Riley does as a FBS starting QB HAS to be the top concern for most casual fans. It's going to be the story of the season....so get used to it, everyone.

Granted, most on here know that no matter how well he does, without special teams and defensive improvements this team will continue to struggle. Hopefully we get a little of both.

Vito's right, there are many fans who need convincing that this program is worth watching again. I'm having a terrible time getting some of my buddies to re-up on season tickets again...and I know that has got to be a pretty widespread problem.

I see there is no mention of Chase Baine in the battle for the QB position in the spring Preview.

I still pick him as my "sleeper" to impress many of us on this board and the coaching staff ......that is if they will him give a chance to show what he can do. I'm assuming he will be starting 3rd on the depth chart this spring......with that said if Coach Dodge will give him a fair chance and I feel he will.... I'm still picking him to back up Rylie when the fall comes around.

Yes I'm from Lake Dallas and I'm pulling for the "Local Kid"

I will be there APRIL 4th

I see there is no mention of Chase Baine in the battle for the QB position in the spring Preview.

I still pick him as my "sleeper" to impress many of us on this board and the coaching staff ......that is if they will him give a chance to show what he can do. I'm assuming he will be starting 3rd on the depth chart this spring......with that said if Coach Dodge will give him a fair chance and I feel he will.... I'm still picking him to back up Rylie when the fall comes around.

Yes I'm from Lake Dallas and I'm pulling for the "Local Kid"

I will be there APRIL 4th

I too am looking forward to seeing how Chase Baine does. I'm always pulling for the underdog.

WOULD PEOPLE PLEASE STOP MAKING VITO THE BAD GUY! :angry:

He is a PROFESSIONAL REPORTER NOT THE SID FOR NORTH TEXAS.

Geezz, we're acting like a bunch of unshaven, knuckle-dragging rubes instead of COLLEGE GRADUATES.

Do all of you have your job assessments done by your wives/girlfriends......or drinking buddies? If Vito wants to survive as a professional reporter, he has to NOT BE SOME PROGRAM'S CHEERLEADER.

Having said that, I would move the #1 item on the list to around three or four. I would put all of the defensive questions at the top. IMHO, they are much more critical at this point.

AND, obviously he doesn't see the RB position as being critical enough to be mentioned. He either thinks it's pretty solid, or he just overlooked it.

We ought tar'n'featha 'em.

Chill, Silver. I understand that Vitto is not the SID, but he does tend to lean negative. Just my impression, nothing more. In fact, this is the first time I've ever commented on his work. I look forward to his blogs, but how many times must it be pointed out that we've had back to back to back crappy seasons. Enough already. Give me information that Im NOT aware of.

Chill, Silver. I understand that Vitto is not the SID, but he does tend to lean negative. Just my impression, nothing more. In fact, this is the first time I've ever commented on his work. I look forward to his blogs, but how many times must it be pointed out that we've had back to back to back crappy seasons. Enough already. Give me information that Im NOT aware of.

The only people who think Vito is a negative NT basher are the ones who obviously don't pay attention to his coverage of basketball, soccer, or the other programs where we're not terrible.

When you're writing about a program that could most generously be described as ALMOST the worst in Divison 1-A football two years in a row, the story is the sucking. I don't know how any non-University affiliated writer could come up with a much more positive take on things than what I just read.

The only people who think Vito is a negative NT basher are the ones who obviously don't pay attention to his coverage of basketball, soccer, or the other programs where we're not terrible.

When you're writing about a program that could most generously be described as ALMOST the worst in Divison 1-A football two years in a row, the story is the sucking. I don't know how any non-University affiliated writer could come up with a much more positive take on things than what I just read.

Dead on. If Vito comes across as negative, it's because the football has been a negative. Let me know what bright spots about NT football Vito should have written about last year.

Not to be excessively generous to Vito, but I thought he was being a little rosy in writing "UNT must convince the skeptics in its fan base that there is a reason to believe in the Mean Green again. "

I think the only way to convince the skeptics is to start winning; early enough and often enough that any objective observer could compare 2009 to 2008 and say "Yep, things are definitely heading in the right direction".

I think early enough would include one of the ooc games before starting conference play; often enough, at least 2 wins by midseason and 4 for the season; plus, being competitive in all but 2 or 3 games would be well received. Five wins would silence most but the harshest critics in the following offseason.

I think early enough would include one of the ooc games before starting conference play; often enough, at least 2 wins by midseason and 4 for the season; plus, being competitive in all but 2 or 3 games would be well received. Five wins would silence most but the harshest critics in the following offseason.

You are right on, but I doubt this team wins any games before it goes 0-4 or 0-5. This team lost so much on the offensive side the ball and it has Soooo far to go on the defensive side of the ball that I just don't see the team winning more than 3 games. But winning 3 games would be a success for this year based on the last 2.

You are right on, but I doubt this team wins any games before it goes 0-4 or 0-5. This team lost so much on the offensive side the ball and it has Soooo far to go on the defensive side of the ball that I just don't see the team winning more than 3 games. But winning 3 games would be a success for this year based on the last 2.

We will be better on offense in 2009. Mark it down.

Defense remains to be seen, but there is hope.

Special teams?? No idea...not a lot of hope there, personally.

I can't wait to see what records he sets for the A&M scout team. Reggie McNeal set the bar pretty high...

This is a gonna be a great spring. This is Dodge's make or break season. This will be the best spring in many seasons with all the new faces and combination of all the returning OL.

Quoner as far as Vizza, when was the last time you threw a freaking pass in a D-1 game. Gio may never play again but that doesn't take what he's done at the HS or collegiate level away. 3 NCAA records, 3rd team freshman All-American, Sunbelt freshman of the year. I love you column, I have spoken to you several times but let it lay. That kid is long gone.

Lets focus on your buddies Dodge and Dodge. Lets focus on the present. YOUR boys (HA) will win you over yet.

This is a gonna be a great spring. This is Dodge's make or break season. This will be the best spring in many seasons with all the new faces and combination of all the returning OL.

Quoner as far as Vizza, when was the last time you threw a freaking pass in a D-1 game. Gio may never play again but that doesn't take what he's done at the HS or collegiate level away. 3 NCAA records, 3rd team freshman All-American, Sunbelt freshman of the year. I love you column, I have spoken to you several times but let it lay. That kid is long gone.

Lets focus on your buddies Dodge and Dodge. Lets focus on the present. YOUR boys (HA) will win you over yet.

The ol' you-haven't-played-so-you-can't-discuss-on-a-message-board trick. Works every time.

Eat your heart out, Q.