Cb Ira Smith Commitment Confirmed

SUMG

You know - I am starting to really feel the hate from Vito. Every single time there is any sort of "good" news, he sprinkles in a little crap to go with it...

UNT was terrible on kickoff return last season.

Seriously, Vito - if you hate Dodge and NT so much - maybe you should go work some other beat. You seem like a nice guy and life is too short to be so unhappy. Would it kill you to say, "UNT is hoping to improve on kickoff returns after a rough season" or something just a little less mean... I dunno, I thought that some of the other posters were being a little picky but I have been paying attention since it was pointed out... and I will be damned if there isn't some sort of remark like this in every single announcement/blog/article.

Edited by stebo

You know - I am starting to really feel the hate from Vito. Every single time there is any sort of "good" news, he sprinkles in a little crap to go with it...

Seriously, Vito - if you hate Dodge and NT so much - maybe you should go work some other beat. You seem like a nice guy and life is too short to be so unhappy. Would it kill you to say, "UNT is hoping to improve on kickoff returns after a rough season" or something just a little less mean... I dunno, I thought that some of the other posters were being a little picky but I have been paying attention since it was pointed out... and I will be damned if there isn't some sort of remark like this in every single announcement/blog/article.

Even though he's right. Yet another season of a "new" kick returner. Could it be the coaching? Nah. Just keep trying new players. Evyn Roman was the first so-called "speedy" JUCO DB signed by this staff to help shore up the secondary and return game. Let's hope this guy is the last.

I do think there was improvement in returning kickoffs in the latter part of the season. It was the kickoff return coverage that never improved, and I think we may have been dead last of FBS schools in that category.

"Smith said he would enter spring practice as a starter at cornerback and will also return kicks."

Dodge making promises again

Dodge makes promises to Dodge. DM knows that. Now do you still expect a big turnover with players leaving PHS? Or have things cooled down and everyone staying?

Not sure how you can tell a player he is a starter without ever seeing him compete against your other CB's, but hey, Merry Xmas to those CB's who lost their position on the depth chart heading into spring. That was a sales tool that should never, ever, be used.

Edited by nautique

Geez, you take a quote handled by a bitter beat reporter and turn it into this? Kids that age ALL think that they will start. They are guaranteed only one thing - a scholarship. When a coach is recruiting against several other schools then he is obviously going to paint the best case scenario for the player. You two need to apply to be beat writers at the DRC, lol.

When a coach is recruiting a player into a position that has a stable of 13,000 others already present on the roster, there are not many things you can say that will get them to commit.

um, not really...see the following example:

Running back recruit, "coach Carroll, don't you have 9 scholarship backs on the roster? How will playing time look for me?"

Carroll," We actually only have 6 running back scholarships, as three of them are on retainer by NFL agents.....Say, have you ever met a USC Song Girl?"

Running back recruit," well, it seems like a crowded backfield"

Carroll," Come to think of it, we should go get you one of those Song Girls."

Running back recruit," Coach Carroll, I would like to commit to play 'ball for USC"

I suspect that's about how it happens.

Recruiting Lesson: UNT needs Song Girls.

Edited by good_ken

"Smith said he would enter spring practice as a starter at cornerback and will also return kicks."

Sadly, three recruiting seasons into this thing, that's all he has to sell - playing time. And, after all of the DBs signed, the fact that playing time is still up for grabs...well, that's saying something. But, I'm kind of preaching to the choir here.

Welcome to the club stebo. Watchout for vito's defenders, they can get a little touchy if you don't like an article or the spin he puts on it.

I appreciate Vito letting us in on what the recruits are saying, but some recruit comments are a little hard to read.

"North Texas called me today," Martin told Rivals.com. "They look like a nice school. They just don't win a lot there, though."

"Nice... now maybe you'd like to give ma a paper-cut and pour some lemmon juice on it?"........ Billy Crystal

GMG!!!

Sadly, three recruiting seasons into this thing, that's all he has to sell - playing time. And, after all of the DBs signed, the fact that playing time is still up for grabs...well, that's saying something. But, I'm kind of preaching to the choir here.

Of course he will start. He will be a junior, that magical, wonderous year when all UNT players become faster, stronger, smarter, and meaner.

That damn Vito, wish he didn't coach UNT. Oh, wait...

Yeah, he is promising the kid that he will start DURING SRPING PRACTICE. Its up to Smith to do well enough to keep the job.

Seriosuly, if you and Vito ever have a love child, That will be the most ugly, evil, hate filled child in history.

Welcome to the club stebo. Watchout for vito's defenders, they can get a little touchy if you don't like an article or the spin he puts on it.

To be fair, we've got a lot of journalism guys/gals here on this board and I really think most of them are just touchy when anyone blasts the media. So, I wouldn't call them Vito defenders, just media defenders.