Playoffs?

shaft

Who is talking about an 8 team playoff? I think an 8 team playoff wouldn't be much better than the bcs championship... If there were a playoff (which won't happen) it should be 32 teams, with the winners of the conferences getting an automatic bid, just like the ncaa bball tournament.

Who is talking about an 8 team playoff? I think an 8 team playoff wouldn't be much better than the bcs championship... If there were a playoff (which won't happen) it should be 32 teams, with the winners of the conferences getting an automatic bid, just like the ncaa bball tournament.

I think it's tougher to do it in football as far as time etc. I am just not sure if the higher ups would be totally on board with that. I don't mind seeing a 32 team playoff but realistically I think the highest it would go would probably be 16 teams.

I do not you will see conferences like the Sun Belt, the MAC, and other smaller conferences get to participate with the big conferences if there is a playoff system. I think you may even see another upper tier created for the big boys and they will comprise the ones who are in the run for the National Championship that counts. There may be a playoff system between the smaller conferences. The big boys are not going to want to take a chance playing the smaller schools due to the risk of injury or being beaten i.e. Oklahoma/Boise.

A 16 team playoff is the only feasible number if you want to be fair(all conference champions plus a handful of at-large selections) AND not drag it out forever(even four weeks is a bit long and would go thru finals).

But I don't think it'll ever happen. And a smaller 4 or 8 team scenario would really hurt schools in the Non-Power leagues.

Edited by CMJ

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Isn't the time between the last regular season game and the last bowl game about 5 weeks anyway? I don't see why a 32 team playoff wouldn't be feasible because of 1 more week.

The last Saturday of the regular season is December 6th. Usually the Championship Game is around January 7th or so - so yeah that's about 4 1/2 weeks or so. I really can't see them playing straight thru tho...they'd probably have a week off around the 20th for Finals(my guess). So then you're going into mid January and going into the Spring semester, which is something they don't wanna do(maybe because some of the players won't be academically eligible?).

The winner of each conference gets an automatic bid which would be 11 teams. Have one at large team that would basically be a wild card for 12 teams or two at large teams that have a play-in game to narrow the field down to 12 teams total and then go from there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ft5N00aAwk4

I have my doubts that a 17 game college football season will ever happen for anyone.

Remember when the soon to be expanded again NFL season was only 14 games? Apples and oranges you say? Remember when college football was 11 games (not including bowls)? 10 games? 9 games?

I believe this was written with the NCAA in mind.

4hkjkTe5kZE

In his first order of business as president....

“I think it is about time that we had playoffs in college football,” Obama said Monday on ESPN. “I’m fed up with these computer rankings and this and that and the other. Get eight teams – the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a national champion.”