Playoffs?

shaft

Now if he could just go along with a 32 team system, that would be the best presidential intervention in college football since Teddy Roosevelt told the colleges to do something other than just run the draw play.

He could also engage in a little NCAA redistribution of wealth and send some of that 9-figure Texas budget up this way.

QUOTE(oldguystudent @ Nov 6 2008, 10:33 PM)

He could also engage in a little NCAA redistribution of wealth and send some of that 9-figure Texas budget up this way.

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Nov 6 2008, 10:46 PM)

Football doesn't redistribute wealth, it enhances competitiveness.

I hope you were looking for your sarcasm emoticon when you wrote this??!!

Sorry, I don't use emoticons. If you want, we could meet in person before one of the games, and we could simply talk; I find that emotion is more easily conveyed that way.

I will correct myself for using the language "enhance competitiveness". The NFL refers to "competitive balance" in their history of the draft section on their website. See link below.

NFL Hall of Fame Draft History

Interestingly, the NCAA used the same "competitive balance" argument in their defense against a lawsuit by college walk ons against the policy of limiting the number of scholarships schools may grant; below is a link with the NCAA citing the same argument against student-athletes suing over what a scholarship is limited to covering (no allowance for laundry, etc.). Personally, I do agree that the limit on the number of scholarships may increase competitive balance; certainly there are articles on the Internet citing it as a reason behind the upsets we saw last year. I can't really support the limiting of such items as the NCAA does while denying student athletes a monetary stipend for time spent practicing, when other students receiving financial aid can take part time work and be compensated enough to possibly cover some personal expenses.

NCAA Defense citing "competitive balance"

Maybe it doesn't exist in high school, but I do believe that it is one of the reasons for district realignment. Geographic proximity certainly isn't a key, if you look at the district in which Desoto now plays.

This isn't just an attempt to throw some partisan zinger in there (maybe it is to some extent). I've given some thought to responding to your reply, and I think it is important for the non-BCS schools to be aware of the issues to be considered if and when the FBS moves towards something like a playoff system. In my opinion, if it were only 8 schools, UNT and other non-BCS schools would be in a less competitive situation than at present, whereas if it were somewhere between 16 and 64 teams playing (there are 32 bowls as of April, 2008), stories such as Boise State would still be possible, and UNT football would potentially have a much brighter future.

If this would be such a hardship for teams to play that many games, why is it done by FCS and high school teams? I think most teams would love the chance to continue playing through the Christmas break. Hey, they could have an actual national championship game on Martin Luther King's Birthday. All employers not presently giving that holiday would start doing so once they realized that everybody in the country would be following that game one way or the other.

Edited by eulessismore

QUOTE(oldguystudent @ Nov 6 2008, 10:33 PM)

QUOTE(eulessismore @ Nov 6 2008, 10:46 PM)

Football doesn't redistribute wealth, it enhances competitiveness.

Sorry, I don't use emoticons. If you want, we could meet in person before one of the games, and we could simply talk; I find that emotion is more easily conveyed that way.

I will correct myself for using the language "enhance competitiveness". The NFL refers to "competitive balance" in their history of the draft section on their website. See link below.

NFL Hall of Fame Draft History

Interestingly, the NCAA used the same "competitive balance" argument in their defense against a lawsuit by college walk ons against the policy of limiting the number of scholarships schools may grant; below is a link with the NCAA citing the same argument against student-athletes suing over what a scholarship is limited to covering (no allowance for laundry, etc.). Personally, I do agree that the limit on the number of scholarships may increase competitive balance; certainly there are articles on the Internet citing it as a reason behind the upsets we saw last year. I can't really support the limiting of such items as the NCAA does while denying student athletes a monetary stipend for time spent practicing, when other students receiving financial aid can take part time work and be compensated enough to possibly cover some personal expenses.

NCAA Defense citing "competitive balance"

Maybe it doesn't exist in high school, but I do believe that it is one of the reasons for district realignment. Geographic proximity certainly isn't a key, if you look at the district in which Desoto now plays.

This isn't just an attempt to throw some partisan zinger in there (maybe it is to some extent). I've given some thought to responding to your reply, and I think it is important for the non-BCS schools to be aware of the issues to be considered if and when the FBS moves towards something like a playoff system. In my opinion, if it were only 8 schools, UNT and other non-BCS schools would be in a less competitive situation than at present, whereas if it were somewhere between 16 and 64 teams playing (there are 32 bowls as of April, 2008), stories such as Boise State would still be possible, and UNT football would potentially have a much brighter future.

If this would be such a hardship for teams to play that many games, why is it done by FCS and high school teams? I think most teams would love the chance to continue playing through the Christmas break. Hey, they could have an actual national championship game on Martin Luther King's Birthday. All employers not presently giving that holiday would start doing so once they realized that everybody in the country would be following that game one way or the other.

Eulessismore, I could be missing your point and if so, my apologoies. Unfortunately, the NCAA itself may not condon redistribution of wealth but when every conference, team and state uses football as a pawn for financial gain redistribution of wealth occurs can occur with every move. I believe a post earlier attempted to point out some Texas schools (UT and ATM*) have an enormously unfair financial advantage in Texas. A playoff system would probably not be created to redistribute wealth but at the end of the day it would be used in just that manner. Hence, many power house, financially and politically strong teams will not allow it to happen, at least when their final vote was cast.

*I'm still trying to fully understand the "land grant college" thing.

Jump out the though, emoticons can be fun :P