Unt Players Fail Drug Test

Brett Vito

i wonder if this is dodge just trying to save face since we are 0-8(12)

That's ridiculous. First, the testing was done well before we were 0-8. Second, as Tasty pointed out, there was undoubted a FOI request made that had to get through an appeals process.

I'm disgusted they get FOUR chances before being really punished. They need to learn you in the workplace they will get fired on the FIRST failed test. How stupid do you have to be to do that during the season when you KNOW you are likely to be tested.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UNT has the stadium vote in hand, but the drive to raise more money is about to really begin. The football program to which that fund-raising is inevitably tied is now at as low a point as I can remember. Dreadful on-field results. Rumors about relations between coaches. And now a huge team drug problem to which the head coach says “I don’t think we have a problem with drugs." The national publicity is already bad, and it's about to get much, much worse. North Texas is the punch line of college football.

It's not just about building a team, it's about building a stadium and a program. Show me the corporate sponsor who wants to be a part of this mess. How many potential contributors just went running for cover? And how does this coach recruit in the glare of this kind of scandal?

Can you build this program and raise money for the stadium around a coach whose team is losing by 33 points a game, whose team is allowing fifty points a game, with rumors swirling of problems within the lockerroom (those rumors may not be fair or accurate, but they exist), and who now says “I don’t think we have a problem with drugs" when fifteen of his players just tested positive?

Maybe it's not fair to lay it all on the head coach, and maybe he does deserve four years. But right or wrong, fair or unfair, is Todd Dodge now too radioactive to keep his job?

Edited by Smitty

Cannot wait for Basketball Season to start.......

I'm no big basketball fan...but this is all I have to look forward to.

Man, if only I had a job where I was given 4 chances to fail a piss test before getting fired. I bet that would be a cool place to work! <_<

No kidding. I fail one, even if I go to Amsterdamn on vacation and catch second-hand...I lose my certificate and my career is over.

I know that it's around bigtime, but I have a hard time believing that one out of three in the general student population would test positive these days. Back in the 70's yes, but these days I would bet more like that 17% figure. Just a guess of course.

Gotta disagree...in Got5onIt's scenario, I don't think we're just talking about the usual suspects of pot, cocaine, acid, etc. Prescription painkillers are pretty big amongst college students...

All said...I consider 17% to be a loss of control of the team by Coach Dodge. If the next round of tests comes back even 5% positive, some serious questions need to be asked.

Edited by JayDub

ONLY 15???? I am relieved as I had heard a few weeks ago that there was a failed drug test and that 30 players had failed! So, I find the "silver lining" once again! Yippee! OK, seriously, I agree that if you tested the general student population on most every campus in the nation you would get more than 17% positives! OK, what drugs were they? I have no clue but probably the kind you smoke...that weedy stuff....I would guess. Now, question, does booze count in the drug testing???? Perhaps a few got caught with the steroid thing, who knows.

But, any athlete who knows they will be tested and still gets caught has to be a bit "off" when the smart meter is applied! Also...ANYONE doing drugs is a little off the smart meter in the first place. Hey, I say the same thing about anyone who smokes today KNOWING what we know to be the facts regarding the health costs of smoking to both the smoker and to the public as a whole in increased medical costs and insurance premiums for all...

Maybe this is a big part of the "challenges" Dodge is having with the team. He may have "lost" some of the team by testing everyone and going further than the NCAA says he has to go. Don't know, but maybe....

I also 100% agree...if 17% of your players test positive you DO HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM on the team. Looks to me like he is dealing with it. I would imagine that some of the players are not happy with the way the situation is being handled by the coaching staff. Just my guess....

Sorry to see the confirmation of the "rumor" come to light, but glad it was not the 30 I was told about....

Man, what a season.......

Test 100 kids out of the general student population and I guarantee you it will almost double the 17% on the team.

You're saying 1/3 of college kids are on drugs? I doubt that. I realize drug use is higher on college campus than the general population, but I doubt it's that much even at UNT.

is Todd Dodge now too radioactive to keep his job?

Certainly not yet. Over 18000 people showed by based on a ticket scanner count to watch an 0-8 team. NT sold more season tickets over the last two years than every before because people wanted to watch Todd Dodge. The Mean Green Club has more total donors and more donors at higher giving levels mainly because Todd Dodge is the coach. The student body just voted a fee increase on themselves at historically apathetic NT.

This year is burning up Dodge's overall good will quickly, but he had more to start with as far as the total fan base than any coach since Hayden.

As I have been very very very critical of Dodge and wanting him to get the boot at seasons end, I do not have one bit a problem with this. I certainly give him a lot more respect for doing this as he decided to test the whole team and not just a small sample. Does anybody know what kind of drugs they are referring too? Or is it anything illegal including steroids? I am kinda with Kram in that 17% does not seem too bad.

As I have been very very very critical of Dodge and wanting him to get the boot at seasons end, I do not have one bit a problem with this. I certainly give him a lot more respect for doing this as he decided to test the whole team and not just a small sample. Does anybody know what kind of drugs they are referring too? Or is it anything illegal including steroids? I am kinda with Kram in that 17% does not seem too bad.

I'm with you on this.

Dodge took a bold step and had the entire team tested. That kind of move has to set a tone that this type of behavior will not be acceptable in the future, no matter what has occurred in the past. That is a positive in my book.

Are all of you people overlooking this essential bit of information in the article?

"Fifteen University of North Texas football players failed a drug test conducted this fall at the request of head coach Todd Dodge,according to documents obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle through the Freedom of Information Act."

If Coach Dodge didn't think there was a drug problem on the team, then why the hell did he request the tests in the first place?

My guess? He was fishing (actually trolling). He hoped that some of the players (recruited by DD) that he didn't like would come up positive, and then he could boot them off the team.

From my viewpoint, this has backfired on him. Because who is the only player that has left the team during this timeframe?

"The NCAA tested 20 UNT players on Sept. 30. (three days after the Rice game) The university has not yet received the results of those tests, according to information provided by UNT."

Is the NCAA testing the same 15 players, plus five others? Or is this in addition to the original 15?

Certainly not yet. Over 18000 people showed by based on a ticket scanner count to watch an 0-8 team. NT sold more season tickets over the last two years than every before because people wanted to watch Todd Dodge. The Mean Green Club has more total donors and more donors at higher giving levels mainly because Todd Dodge is the coach. The student body just voted a fee increase on themselves at historically apathetic NT.

This year is burning up Dodge's overall good will quickly, but he had more to start with as far as the total fan base than any coach since Hayden.

I agree that a tremendous amount of good will was built, but how much of that survives? How difficult did it just get to raise large contributions for the stadium? How difficult did it just get to recruit kids to this program? Do any changes need to be made?

How does the University respond to this?

:ph34r:

Ah MedPilot, MedPilot, MedPilot. What you must be thinking back to when your eyes first read this thread.

This may be one of the greatest seasons to ever measure the character of a football program and it's fanbase upon. I mean, outside us finishing 0-12 just about everything that could have happened to this program this year has. APR disasters, injuries, defections and of course the lopsided loses. And yet, the student body erased 50 plus years of apathy with their support for the referendum and we still could manage 15,000 for home attendance if we get about 10K show up for the final home game. North Texas could arguably have the greatest fans around right now if you think about it. And should TD and company turn this thing around in years to come we will look back in amazement in how far we will have come.

Rick

No kidding...lots of interesting memories? (also brings one coach to mind...what could have been?) I think we have a big road ahead of us, but it is going to be worth traveling. The guys that have always been here will still be here. The students showed they care as much as we do. there is still life after dissapointment, and they are actually proving Darrell Dickey right...

"This is the strangest place I've ever been? When I was playing at Kansas State, the fans were there whether we won ten games or lost ten games? We always knew they were with us. Sure they complained when I screwed up, but they were always there. North Texas could be a place like that but some things would have to change, and the fans would have to be here when things get bad. We need the fans to be like Rick Herold and that Fire Fighter guy...everytime I looked up those guys were right there, even on the road. North Texas can be like that."......Darrell Dickey

It's happening coach.... it's happening.

GMG!!!

Edited by medpilot21

I must be getting old, but to me, this is more disappointing than a potential 0-12 season record. These young men are given the opportunity for a free education and then toss it away. I suspect it goes on in almost every D1 school except perhaps for the service academies but it does not make it right.

"The NCAA tested 20 UNT players on Sept. 30. (three days after the Rice game) The university has not yet received the results of those tests, according to information provided by UNT."

Is the NCAA testing the same 15 players, plus five others? Or is this in addition to the original 15?

My understanding is, that once you fail a University drug test, you must then take one administered by the NCAA, and that would suggest they added 5 more to the testing.

You really think it is some evil master plan to destroy previous recruits or to place blame for losing on his players?

Maybe he was concerned about the use of drugs on his team and wanted it cleared out. Is that so sinister?

But he said that he didn't think there was a drug problem on the team. If he didn't think there was a drug problem, then why ask for the test in the first place?

I would imagine there were some concerns. But in your little conspiracy world, why would he test all the players when that could potentially hit some of his own recruits?

I don't agree with his statement that there isn't a problem. Not a single player should be doing anything illegal in a perfect world. They have too much to lose to risk doing drugs. Maybe that is why the testing happened - to nip it before it became more widespread. I don't know. I just can't assign it some evil intent.

I just don't understand why this has to be about Dodge vs Dickey or some other bullshit, wacked-out-of-your-skull conspiracy theory?

wacked out conspiracy theory? I have merely pointed out the gross inconsistency in TD's statements vs his behavior, and speculated that he was trolling for former players. I'm not any more of a DD fan than I am a TD fan. I just want all of the players treated fairly.

I don't consider the man evil at all. Just petty and vindictive.

Edited by SilverEagle

:ph34r:

Ah MedPilot, MedPilot, MedPilot. What you must be thinking back to when your eyes first read this thread.

This may be one of the greatest seasons to ever measure the character of a football program and it's fanbase upon. I mean, outside us finishing 0-12 just about everything that could have happened to this program this year has. APR disasters, injuries, defections and of course the lopsided loses. And yet, the student body erased 50 plus years of apathy with their support for the referendum and we still could manage 15,000 for home attendance if we get about 10K show up for the final home game. North Texas could arguably have the greatest fans around right now if you think about it. And should TD and company turn this thing around in years to come we will look back in amazement in how far we will have come.

Rick

Rick,

Student apathy, yes. Alumni apathy? Not sure on that one.