The Future Of The Radisson

UNTflyer

This RFP was posted on the UNT site last month.

This Request for Proposal (RFP) is an invitation from the University of North Texas System (UNTS) to seek experienced developers/operators to plan, finance, design, build and operate a first-class, full-service hotel with meeting or conference facilities on the 34,000 student University of North Texas (UNT) Denton campus. The site is located at the gateway entrance to the campus on Interstate Highway 35 East (IH-35E) and is visible from both IH-35E and Interstate Highway 35 West (IH-35W).

The three options:

• Major renovation of the existing hotel and the development of approximately 150 rooms and renovated and expanded meeting rooms/convention center. The minimum meeting room/convention center space is 45,000 square feet. Minor modification or remodeling is not acceptable. The renovated hotel would need to be a high-quality, full-service hotel.
  • Major renovation of the existing hotel and the development of at least an additional 100 rooms in an adjoining new hotel tower. This option would include renovated and expanded or new meeting rooms/ convention center. The minimum meeting room space is 45,000 square feet. Minor modification or remodeling of the hotel rooms or meeting rooms would not be acceptable. The renovated hotel would need to be a high-quality, full-service hotel.
  • Demolition of the existing hotel and construction of a new high-quality, full-service hotel with a 250-room minimum and meeting rooms or a convention center with a minimum of 45,000 square feet.
http://pps.unt.edu/images/stories/bid%20pd...769_9_610JS.pdf Edited by UNTflyer

Can the university build it and hire a management company run it, and of course make money from it? Or is that legal in Texas? Better yet, let the School of Hospitality Management do it. A professor at UNT by the name of Grant Miles said that when he attended the University of California at Bakersfield, the business school ran the city's bus company, and students (undergrad, masters, and doctoral) actually managed the company as part of their degree work.

Can the university build it and hire a management company run it, and of course make money from it? Or is that legal in Texas? Better yet, let the School of Hospitality Management do it. A professor at UNT by the name of Grant Miles said that when he attended the University of California at Bakersfield, the business school ran the city's bus company, and students (undergrad, masters, and doctoral) actually managed the company as part of their degree work.

I guess we could hold a vote to increase student fees to build and operate a hotel and make money from it. Oh wait, how dare anyone propose to increase student fees and break the students financially. :o:blink:

I suspect it is fairly common for large universities to have hotels on campus. Here in the Triangle, UNC and Duke have hotels and they are both quite elegant with fine restaurants, etc. Duke has the "Washington Duke" and UNC's is called the "Carolina Inn". Speaking of turnarounds with new coaches, both schools are doing better. Even Duke beat UVA, the first time in many years, they beat a fellow ACC school.

I have stayed at Oklahoma State U's Atherton Hotel several times....great hotel and perfect location on campus. Yes, it is "old", but they have recently done a VERY nice upgrade...rooms are great and last year they gave us a "rubber ducky" for the bathtub as we checked out...checked out, by the way to head back to Denton for the Saturday game after Thanksgiving...Man, that was a cold one!

LSU has a University hotel called the College Inn. The Tiger football team stays there the night before a home game.

Oklahoma operates the Sooner Hotel. It's walking distance from Owens Field. It's built much like a dormitory with very small rooms, but it's very clean and they bake fresh cookies all day for anyone that walks by the front desk.

Arkansas operates a hotel converted from an old dorm. I don't remember the name. I tried to stay there last season but it was booked solid.

Thank you NT Students

GO MEAN GREEN

A&M has a hotel inside the MSC (Memorial Student Center).

I stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was pretty neat. Right across the street from G. Rolley White coliseum, which is where I was going.

It was built back in the day when there were not many options in College Station, and they needed hotel space. Must have been back in the 1950s. Anway, it still has that 1950s feel, esp. in the bathroom. The tiles and everything date from that time. Rooms are small. It felt like stepping back in time. But, as has been said, it was clean and kinda cool to be on campus.

I bet UNT's strong preference is to tear that hotel down and start new. (But, they are also being pragmatic by entertaining the other options in case those other options turn-out to be the only feasible ones.)

I teach hospitality at the University of Arkansas. Here, we have the Inn at Carnall Hall (.com) used to be a women's dorm. Today, it's a 50 room hotel, with classroom and 2 faculty offices. I am working on a Ph.D. at OSU, so I stay at the Antherton often. At U of A, we have a management company, however, my food prep class cooks dinner on Monday nights. It is my understanding that a hotel will be built and the hospitality program at UNT will assist in the operation. My friends/professors at UNT is closed lipped about it. When I find out, I'll let you know! GO MEAN GREEN !

A&M has a hotel inside the MSC (Memorial Student Center).

I stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was pretty neat. Right across the street from G. Rolley White coliseum, which is where I was going.

It was built back in the day when there were not many options in College Station, and they needed hotel space. Must have been back in the 1950s. Anway, it still has that 1950s feel, esp. in the bathroom. The tiles and everything date from that time. Rooms are small. It felt like stepping back in time. But, as has been said, it was clean and kinda cool to be on campus.

I bet UNT's strong preference is to tear that hotel down and start new. (But, they are also being pragmatic by entertaining the other options in case those other options turn-out to be the only feasible ones.)

Was the MSC called the Student Union at one time ? I stayed at the A&M hotel for six weeks in 1963 while attending a specialized police science course. Remembering back 45 years, believe the hotel was in the Student Union Bldg.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Wow.

Well, I certainly can't top that, but I hosted the first event at the Radison (Sheraton as it was known then).

The sleeping rooms were not open yet and I had to book the event from a trailer office parked in the parking lot. The morning of my event, the carpet was still rolled up on the bare concrete floors of the ballroom. Nervous ? Yes.

David Farmer was a wonderful asset to the Radison and the Denton community. He was an expert on wine and always made events at the Radison special. I don't know where he is now, but I'd like to see him back in whatever new hotel comes to Eagle Point. Those of you that know David might be surprised to know that he was an attorney in a previous life.

Thats you North Texas Students

GO MEAN GREEN

Any and all options, from what to do with the site to how to run it, are feasible and legal. Hopefully UNT will enter into something that allows for a combination of the most hands-on experience coupled with the highest amount of profits funneled back into the UNT coffers.

Any and all options, from what to do with the site to how to run it, are feasible and legal. Hopefully UNT will enter into something that allows for a combination of the most hands-on experience coupled with the highest amount of profits funneled back into the UNT coffers.

4. Is the university looking to be a partner in the operations of the hotel?

Answer: UNT System is prohibited by state law from entering into partnerships with private parties. Although UNT System can not be an operating partner in the hotel, UNT does have a Merchandise Hospitality Management School that might be interested in some participation with the hotel.

Was the MSC called the Student Union at one time ? I stayed at the A&M hotel for six weeks in 1963 while attending a specialized police science course. Remembering back 45 years, believe the hotel was in the Student Union Bldg.

61, I feel 99% certain that the MSC has always been the MSC. Now, as you know, the MSC is a student union. That hotel in the MSC was definitely around in 1963, so I also feel pretty sure that is where you must have stayed, from what you are telling me. It is still there, and except for linens, new phones, and TVs, it probably looks pretty much like it did in 1963.

It's probably a good idea to tear it down and build a new hote...although I have ties to the existing one...child #2 conceived Feb. 16, 2002 between 11:23 PM and 11:26 PM give or take... :D

That's too much info T-Rock.

BTW - I had my wedding reception there and spent my first night as a married man in the "honeymoon suite."