Somthing To Get Off Of My Chest

UNTLifer

I have been guilty of this in the past, but it seems to be worse this year. What is it? Being highly critical of our team, saying our team sucks, threatening to not come to a game until they stop sucking, etc...

I started thinking about this recently and have the following thoughts/opinions.

What good does this do? Do you think comments of this nature make these 18-22 year old young men, that signed to represent your school, want to perform for North Texas? Do you start to understand why Dickey used the bunker mentality? Do you start to understand, whether it was right or wrong, for Dickey to refer to us fans as MF'ers when addressing the team a couple of years ago.

These young men need our support right now. They don't need some knucklehead running over above their "tunnel" shouting derogatory comments at them as they leave the field at halftime. What they do need is our support. We've all seem to have forgotten that these young men were all highly recruited and were rated as our best recruits in a long time, and that they chose to come here based upon the potential of the program. Let's give these young men our support and stop the derogatory comments.

On the other hand, the coaching staff should be held accountable for preparing these young men to be successful on the football field. They are currently struggling with, IMHO, adjusting to the college game and playing many young players that should have the benefit of a couple of years to mature. I know many posters don't share this opinion, but I found it interesting that Colt McCoy stated that he has finally felt like the game has slowed down for him this, his Jr., year.

The point of this post. I would suggest that we all support this team respectfully and to the best of our ability and give them the time to mature. I know that when I was 19, if I would have heard adults/students in the stands yelling that we sucked, or posting on a message board that we sucked and weren't going to waste their day watching me play, I probably wouldn't have cared enough to put forth my best effort. That's just the mindset of that age group. Support these young men, support the program and Go Mean Green.

Fire away.

I have been guilty of this in the past, but it seems to be worse this year. What is it? Being highly critical of our team, saying our team sucks, threatening to not come to a game until they stop sucking, etc...

I started thinking about this recently and have the following thoughts/opinions.

What good does this do? Do you think comments of this nature make these 18-22 year old young men, that signed to represent your school, want to perform for North Texas? Do you start to understand why Dickey used the bunker mentality? Do you start to understand, whether it was right or wrong, for Dickey to refer to us fans as MF'ers when addressing the team a couple of years ago.

These young men need our support right now. They don't need some knucklehead running over above their "tunnel" shouting derogatory comments at them as they leave the field at halftime. What they do need is our support. We've all seem to have forgotten that these young men were all highly recruited and were rated as our best recruits in a long time, and that they chose to come here based upon the potential of the program. Let's give these young men our support and stop the derogatory comments.

On the other hand, the coaching staff should be held accountable for preparing these young men to be successful on the football field. They are currently struggling with, IMHO, adjusting to the college game and playing many young players that should have the benefit of a couple of years to mature. I know many posters don't share this opinion, but I found it interesting that Colt McCoy stated that he has finally felt like the game has slowed down for him this, his Jr., year.

The point of this post. I would suggest that we all support this team respectfully and to the best of our ability and give them the time to mature. I know that when I was 19, if I would have heard adults/students in the stands yelling that we sucked, or posting on a message board that we sucked and weren't going to waste their day watching me play, I probably wouldn't have cared enough to put forth my best effort. That's just the mindset of that age group. Support these young men, support the program and Go Mean Green.

Fire away.

Lifer, your points and opinions are very well expressed and I totally agree with you. We have two choices; to support or not support the team and the young gentlemen that represent our school. If we support them, then we should support them. The quality of our support is a reflection of our ability and dedication to the university. We can support them up to the next level or not support them down to the next level.

Go Mean Green!

Fire away.

I'd have the opposite reaction. Tell me I suck and it's your ass. Tell me I have no chance and I guarantee that you're going to be in for a long day. Guess I'm just wired that way, but I know that that's the exact reaction that DD was going for....and I'd bet that most competitive, type-A personalities are going to say the same thing.

That said...absolutely agree that we need to be supporting this team. No question. Really, just giving an dissenting opinion on the reaction to negative talk.

Edited by TIgreen01

Fire away.

Great post! Let's show our support on Saturday by showing up for a great tailgate and football game on what is going to be a beautifal fall Saturday!

I sure can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.

I'd have the opposite reaction. Tell me I suck and it's your ass. Tell me I have no chance and I guarantee that you're going to be in for a long day. Guess I'm just wired that way, but I know that that's the exact reaction that DD was going for....and I'd bet that most competitive, type-A personalities are going to say the same thing.

That said...absolutely agree that we need to be supporting this team. No question. Really, just giving an dissenting opinion on the reaction to negative talk.

I think you're on to something here, but I disagree. If my opponent/opposing fans/newspaper/media/etc. tells me I suck, then I'm going to work even harder to get better and prove them wrong.

However, if my teammate/own fans/family members tell me I suck, then it can be demoralizing. These people are supposed to be on my side, and rooting for me to succeed. When they lose faith, it's tough for any person to strongly believe in themselves and their abilities.

I understand what you're saying, and, idealogically, I totally agree. I don't think there's any class at all in berating or belittling your own team. Also, there's clearly an issue with publicly posting that you're not going to come to games based on effort. If you're not going to come, then don't come. But making a public spectacle of your decision to bail is another thing altogether. So, in terms of if that behavior is acceptable or not, my vote is no.

That said, however, I think if a fan's ranting is going to have an effect on whether or not a player wants to perform, then maybe that guy shouldn't be playing. I've said all season this team looks emotionally fragile, and one wrong bounce just topples their self-confidence. If a player is going to throw in the towel based on a fan's reaction, God help us when they hear when they get leveled by a rampaging linebacker or lit up by a receiver on a go route.

If everyone was bound to honesty, I don't think you'd find a single player that would blame us for being upset at the season so far. There's just no way you can spin 0-7 to be anything but an unmitigated disaster. I think they can understand in their heart of hearts that we are pissed off and frustrated because we care, just like we can understand in ours that they are just as pissed off and frustrated as we are.

There's just no way you can spin 0-7 to be anything but an unmitigated disaster.

Balderdash! It happens every Monday on KNTU.

When it comes to the players, as someone once said, you can't teach size. I hear that we're giving up an average of 40 lbs per person on the front line. You can't blame those guys for getting worn out no matter how hard they play.

Now that I'm here, regardless of how the team performs, I'll be there for the games. A couple students in class this morning were lamenting the passage of the vote, and I tore them a new set of orifices for their ignorant stances. Either I'm a hell of a debater (one might say married life has turned me into a master debater!) or I'm a flat out scary guy, because they agreed with me when all was said and done.

That said, however, I think if a fan's ranting is going to have an effect on whether or not a player wants to perform, then maybe that guy shouldn't be playing. I've said all season this team looks emotionally fragile, and one wrong bounce just topples their self-confidence. If a player is going to throw in the towel based on a fan's reaction, God help us when they hear when they get leveled by a rampaging linebacker or lit up by a receiver on a go route.

I think this goes both ways. Are you saying then, we shouldn't cheer the team on with cheers and chants that support them because it won't have an effect on them? It kind of sounds like there is no real way a home field advantage would be a possibility. Being a former cheerleader, I think they hear the good and the bad comments and react accordingly, especially if it is coming from the home crowd. I believe you can affect the way they are playing more than you may think.

Just a thought...

Edited by GreenAlums

I agree you support the players because they stepped into a situation that seems to be out of control, as long as they play hard I will support them. It's the coaches and the coach's decisions I hold suspect. That said no matter how bad it gets I will still support the program and the university. Hopefully it won't be bad for long.

Edited by filmerj

I think this goes both ways. Are you saying then, we shouldn't cheer the team on with cheers and chants that support them because it won't have an effect on them? It kind of sounds like there is no real way a home field advantage would be a possibility. Being a former cheerleader, I think they hear the good and the bad comments and react accordingly, especially if it is coming from the home crowd. I believe you can affect the way they are playing more than you may think.

Just a thought...

Not at all. I totally agree that cheering can pump a player up. I wasn't talking about a little boost or a little slide if the crowd is into it or not.

What I said was that it might be problematic if a player's desire to perform was based on crowd feedback. When I hear "desire to perform," I think "unless I'm hearing lots of positive feedback from fans, I don't want to perform." I think former players would agree that you have to have that fire burning within you to be successful. If you're waiting around for others to inspire you, you're probably going to get toasted by the guy whose "want-to" is self-inspired.

I might have misunderstood the original poster, but that's what I took away from the statement.

I think the point I was trying to make, in a hurry, is this. Our team doesn't need to hear, "They Suck" from the fans, the AD, their fellow students, etc... I went to the Rice game and was as disappointed in their performance as the next fan, but what does yelling "You Suck" do for them?

I played sports when into my early 20's and know that if I heard the fans of my team yelling "You Suck" or not even caring enough to show up and support the team, then I wouldn't be quick to embrace them when they were wanting to buddy up when times were good. Sure, they are old enough to handle it, but it get's old after a while. It is much easier to work hard and improve when you have the support of your fans.

I would just like to see our fanbase support the team through thick and thin. I have never left a game early, although the Rice game almost became the first. It wasn't fun to watch, the players did not appear motivated, but I had players parents around me so I stayed to support the team. Agree or not, this team is young, needs time to mature and adjust to the college game.

Troy Franklin is one of our highest rated recruits this year and he's playing significant minutes, but has anyone stopped to realize he's made the jump from 3A high school ball to D1 college ball in one year? Same for Darien Williams. The jump from 5A is tough enough. Let's show these young men (the entire team) some support and have fun watching them improve over the next few years.

I agree with untlifer.

I thought about when I was a freshman in HS(Texas 5A school) and we had to go scrimmage with the varsity. That was brutal, I know this is a little different but still freshman and sophomores (mostly) playing junior/seniors has to be part of the problem. I believe we have underestimated this difference in age and experience.

In addition, after seeing the team in person for the first time this year, I am very, very impressed with the ATHLETES we have. I feel 100% confident in our coming years. Be patient.

No matter how competitive or type-A somebody is, feeling like your supporters deserted you can't be good for the collective subconscious of the team.

So, let's keep cheering them on and just hope they keep getting better sooner rather than later!

I wouldn't rather do anything other than tailgate with you guys this weekend either :(

Lifer - You have a point in that the kids shouldn't be punished for what is going on.

As I said in a post I made about why I returned my tickets, I felt bad that there would be one less person supporting these players that are doing their best. However, I felt it was necessary to communicate to the ath. dept. that this current level of competitiveness is not to be tolerated.

I was careful in message to them to not make the kinds of statements that you mention, instead opting for terms such as "unacceptable", etc. I think finding ways to communicate this is useful to reduce the appearance of apathy in the alumni.

gk

Lifer - You have a point in that the kids shouldn't be punished for what is going on.

As I said in a post I made about why I returned my tickets, I felt bad that there would be one less person supporting these players that are doing their best. However, I felt it was necessary to communicate to the ath. dept. that this current level of competitiveness is not to be tolerated.

I was careful in message to them to not make the kinds of statements that you mention, instead opting for terms such as "unacceptable", etc. I think finding ways to communicate this is useful to reduce the appearance of apathy in the alumni.

gk

So you're on strike?!?

:surrender:

They don't need some knucklehead running over above their "tunnel" shouting derogatory comments at them as they leave the field at halftime.

Ok, I only did this once!

I agree with your post lifer...I'll hold off all comments for the homecomming game, I promise. But if we give up two safeties...something might slip.

UNTLifer...nice thoughts...seems I have been trying to get this same point across for some time now on this board. Glad there is someone else who feels the need to be supportive even when things are not going as we wish they would.

man, I am so tired of the "I would have done it this way or that way" crowd. If you think you could handle it better, get the training, get the degree and go do it! I am behind you 100%, but "arm cahir" QB'ng everything that goes on is getting really old...especially if all the comments run to the negative. I think everyone on this board is fully capable of understanding what is happening to the team on the field this year...what we really may not be aware of is what is happening off the field, in the locker room, on the practice field and in the heads of quite a number of very young men....

If you don't like it when I comment about being positive and supporting the team NOW during a time it appears they really need our support, then maybe you will like Lifer's comments better...I don't care, I just care about UNT.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yeah, maybe that's a good way to put it, although it has a self-imposed limitation since I will be back next year to give it another chance. I'm still pulling for the team and would love it if they won-out for the season especially if it's because the ship has been "righted", but I think our talent base is a bit too low to expect that. Best scenario is to see this thing get turned in the right direction and be able to go into next year with a positive outlook. For now I'm marking 10/18/2008 as the lowest point in MG football, hoping that with the vote on that day being the initial start of the turn in the right direction.

gk

So you're on strike?!?

:surrender:

Holding coaches and athletic departments accountable is one thing. They are not above criticism, as their job is to get results and voicing displeasure with them is, IMO, within the rules.

Comments directed at student athletes such as 'you suck' or whatever labels you as a steaming sack, IMO.

A couple students in class this morning were lamenting the passage of the vote, and I tore them a new set of orifices for their ignorant stances. Either I'm a hell of a debater (one might say married life has turned me into a master debater!) or I'm a flat out scary guy, because they agreed with me when all was said and done.

:D Good job!

Fire away.

So, true! That's why , at 71, I drove my van to Monroe, as did others, but I drove the trip alone, because it is important that our team knows how much I really care!