Give Coaches A Break And Players

greenblooded43

Were we expected to beat K-state, LSU at their home. We found out Tulsa had a good offense and Clement/Dillard set a new NCAA record for the combination QB/Reciever TD's.

If anyone expected to be 4-0, 2-2, is crazy. This team is young and rebuilding. Look at Alabama now. They were horrible last year at times. Also, Michigan reminds me of what N. Texas is going through as well. I think Rodriguez and Saban make about 3-5 million a year. Get off Dodge and their staff. You tell me any coach in the country right now, that can beat LSU and KState with the team as young and inexperince as it is?

FIU needs to be ready for a can of whip !@#$#@. Because we have faced some teams that can give you a reality check.

Coach Dodge is the right guy for the job. No one will work any harder. I realize, I get pissed too, when we lose. We need to keep the faith. Heck, the Dallas Cowboys had Aikman on a 1-15 team. We were hacked that coach Landry got axed and then the Cowboys went 1-15 and Jimmy Johnson couldn't coach at the professional level (RIGHT)

Let the coaches fulfill contracts and commitments and lets see in 2012.

Lets just flush the 0-4 down the tiolet and start a new season. The one that matters, Conference

Edited by greenblooded43

Good post. Dodge will get it done. In fact, the trials and tribulations will probably steel him into an even better coach in the next few years. I do not agree with all the nay sayers that he can't coach at the college level, but there is definitely a learning curve...Dodge is smart, he will adjust quite nicely.

KSU will be competitive in the Big XII North.

LSU is #3 in the country.

Tulsa should contend for the C-USA title while having a top 10 offense and could be on the verge of Top 25-30 team.

Rice should contend for the C-USA West Division title while having a top 10 offense.

The schedule has been tremendously difficult. Coach Dodge said last night that even last year we had an extremely difficuly time in non-conference games, but we were within striking distance in all Sun Belt Conference games except for Troy where we had like 6 turnovers (ring a bell?). He has said that if you could change 7 plays last year, we would have won 5-6 ballgames which is interesting.

I have a good feeling about Saturday and that is where we have to begin this 'new season' of conference play. The coaching staff seems to believe we match up better with FIU than with any team we've played so far, so that's very encouraging.

Were we expected to beat K-state, LSU at their home. We found out Tulsa had a good offense and Clement/Dillard set a new NCAA record for the combination QB/Reciever TD's.

If anyone expected to be 4-0, 2-2, is crazy. This team is young and rebuilding. Look at Alabama now. They were horrible last year at times. Also, Michigan reminds me of what N. Texas is going through as well. I think Rodriguez and Saban make about 3-5 million a year. Get off Dodge and their staff. You tell me any coach in the country right now, that can beat LSU and KState with the team as young and inexperince as it is?

FIU needs to be ready for a can of whip !@#$#@. Because we have faced some teams that can give you a reality check.

Coach Dodge is the right guy for the job. No one will work any harder. I realize, I get pissed too, when we lose. We need to keep the faith. Heck, the Dallas Cowboys had Aikman on a 1-15 team. We were hacked that coach Landry got axed and then the Cowboys went 1-15 and Jimmy Johnson couldn't coach at the professional level (RIGHT)

Let the coaches fulfill contracts and commitments and lets see in 2012.

Lets just flush the 0-4 down the tiolet and start a new season. The one that matters, Conference

I'm sorry, but I just cannot buy this. Sure they are good. I even expected that they might lose all four, but what I have seen on the field is worse than bad. Rice is not 77-20 GOOD. It is not a matter of winning, but of putting an ACCEPTABLE product on the field. I have been watching the Mean Green since 1959 and this is the WORST team I have ever seen. Do I hope they get better--YES! Do I expect they will improve--YES. But, even with my green colored glasses, I cannot put a positive on what I have seen this season.

As far as I am concerned, I will be the first to congratulate them when I see something decent out of this team. Until then, I won't buy the spin a few are trying to put on this situation.

I think most people would've been content with a shootout loss to Rice...its the manner of the loss and the level of football we've been subjected to for these first four games is what has everyone's ire and concern. There are those who over-react...considerably over-react...but a lot of that over-reaction is due to people just trying to get a grasp on why they've seen what they've seen.

I am a lifelong Michigan fan...born in Grand Rapids and grew up with blue and maize around me for most of my young life. I watched the first half of the Michigan/Wisconsin game this Saturday before switching my focus over to the UNT game...and there were points where I thought UNT could beat Michigan...they looked incompetent...I think I saw six first half fumbles and they had either mis-matched pieces or true freshmen trying to run Rich Rodriguez's system. They ended up beating Wisconsin.

Things can change...and quickly.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot buy this. Sure they are good. I even expected that they might lose all four, but what I have seen on the field is worse than bad. Rice is not 77-20 GOOD. It is not a matter of winning, but of putting an ACCEPTABLE product on the field. I have been watching the Mean Green since 1959 and this is the WORST team I have ever seen. Do I hope they get better--YES! Do I expect they will improve--YES. But, even with my green colored glasses, I cannot put a positive on what I have seen this season.

As far as I am concerned, I will be the first to congratulate them when I see something decent out of this team. Until then, I won't buy the spin a few are trying to put on this situation.

I agree. I have been watching this team since early 70's , div 1 and 1AA and this team is pathetic. It isn't a matter of winning, it is a matter of not putting a pathtic team on the field that is so embarrassing that you can't walk out of the stadium and look anyone in the eye. Dodge better hope he turns this around or he will end up back in the high school ranks with 1/3 the salary. I wish I had the faith in Dodge others have, but I questioned the decision of hiring a high school coach in the first place (remember Dennis Parker-what a joke). Anyway, I finally got on board and I am afraid this may be a sinking ship....I hope I am wrong.

Every week we hear the same old story of how much better we will be, but the results are often worse....kinda like last years defense. And mentioning defense, where was DeLoach in all of this....perhaps we shouldn't even have a secondary, couldn't be worse....anyway, MG where are you?

If anyone expected to be 4-0, 2-2, is crazy.

I expected us to be competitive, at least to halftime, and to maybe have a chance to win one of those games. If we don't expect that, I think we're setting our sights too low. Look at what some of our Sun Belt rivals have achieved this year in out-of-conference games.

Nice to see some "positive" comments for a change on this board. You would think GMG.com was part of the main stream "we don't report anything but bad news" media from some of the recent threads.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!

Nice to see some "positive" comments for a change on this board. You would think GMG.com was part of the main stream "we don't report anything but bad news" media from some of the recent threads.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!

If the sky isn't falling then Ike was only a tropical depression and ten years of deregulated greed on Wall Street haven't hurt the economy.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!

NOT True....the sky is falling and has been for years, with the possible exception of the 4 good DD years. Thats the point....this is getting old and we need to act faster and do something about our MG problems sooner, not later. We have finally taken some action of facilities issues and I do believe we will build a long overdue stadium...hoping it will be 35K and first class, who knows...but we have to get this coaching and talent issues addressed or it will be more of the same.

yours truely, chicken little

Let's see UCA put up 34 vs Tulsa

Montana State put 10 vs K State

SMU put up 27 vs Rice

and LALA hung 37 on K State what did we do?

KBJ - you know you can't look at pure numbers. Just stay positive, ignore all of what is really happening and just stay positive.

Who knows how many points we could have put up on KSU if we had kept running our offense. What was the final score of the UCA/Tulsa game?

It's thread topics like this that just put it all in perspective for me. Why have we sucked for so long?? Because too many of us expect to get our asses kicked week in and week out. "Hey, we weren't supposed to beat Rice...who cares if we looked worse than a flag football team of 5 year-olds?" or "Hey, our offense is improving because our QB only got sacked 4 times and our defense...well, they're getting better too because they held the opponent to 502 yards!!" It's always...someday...and...just be patient...give 'em a break.

Bull shit! I expect to see some progress and I think this year's team looks worse than last year. I didn't expect to be 4-0 right now but I sure as hell didn't expect to be outscored 219-55 at this point of the season either. June Jones took over an equally "sucky" team at SMU this year. He's starting a true Freshman at QB and I'm already seeing a lot of improvement in their team from week to week. They almost beat a decent Tulane team (who, by the way, has a second-year coach in Bob Toledo that was hired exactly one day before Todd Dodge). SMU didn't give up and quit when they were getting beat 31-7 at halftime. They actually made adjustments for the second half.

And, speaking of Tulane, they've had their own problems to overcome in the form of Hurricane Katrina (I'm sure the threat of another hurricane is something potential HS recruits never even think about) and they never have a big crowd at the Superdome. Yet, Tulane only lost to the new #2 AP team in the nation, Alabama, by a score of 20-6 and led #14 ranked East Carolina up until 1:41 left in the 4th quarter.

So let's just keep on dreaming of "some day" and keep on being content with record-breaking performances by our opponents, resulting in the most lop-sided losses in the history of our program. Let's just keep on being satisfied with the promise of what might happen some day and not worry about being the laughing stock of the college football world. Let's just keep our expectations low and not hold anyone responsible for anything. That's the best way for UNT to become that premiere program we all hope we'll become some day.

It's a wonder the NCAA doesn't kick us out of the FBS for being non-competitive.

Good post and sums it up. My question is how does a coach regain the confidence of a team that has lost in this fashion over and over again? We are terribly young and you usually expect the young guys to learn and get better....but you crush their confidence again and again and sooner or later they are going to stop listening or never truly buy in. I just hope we haven't hit that point.

It's thread topics like this that just put it all in perspective for me. Why have we sucked for so long?? Because too many of us expect to get our asses kicked week in and week out. "Hey, we weren't supposed to beat Rice...who cares if we looked worse than a flag football team of 5 year-olds?" or "Hey, our offense is improving because our QB only got sacked 4 times and our defense...well, they're getting better too because they held the opponent to 502 yards!!" It's always...someday...and...just be patient...give 'em a break.

Bull shit! I expect to see some progress and I think this year's team looks worse than last year. I didn't expect to be 4-0 right now but I sure as hell didn't expect to be outscored 219-55 at this point of the season either. June Jones took over an equally "sucky" team at SMU this year. He's starting a true Freshman at QB and I'm already seeing a lot of improvement in their team from week to week. They almost beat a decent Tulane team (who, by the way, has a second-year coach in Bob Toledo that was hired exactly one day before Todd Dodge). SMU didn't give up and quit when they were getting beat 31-7 at halftime. They actually made adjustments for the second half.

And, speaking of Tulane, they've had their own problems to overcome in the form of Hurricane Katrina (I'm sure the threat of another hurricane is something potential HS recruits never even think about) and they never have a big crowd at the Superdome. Yet, Tulane only lost to the new #2 AP team in the nation, Alabama, by a score of 20-6 and led #14 ranked East Carolina up until 1:41 left in the 4th quarter.

So let's just keep on dreaming of "some day" and keep on being content with record-breaking performances by our opponents, resulting in the most lop-sided losses in the history of our program. Let's just keep on being satisfied with the promise of what might happen some day and not worry about being the laughing stock of the college football world. Let's just keep our expectations low and not hold anyone responsible for anything. That's the best way for UNT to become that premiere program we all hope we'll become some day.

It's a wonder the NCAA doesn't kick us out of the FBS for being non-competitive.

The problem with this post is that SMU sucks. Last year Hawaii, played in the BCS got beat so bad i think they were the laughing stock of college football. We play SMU next year we beat them by 3 touchdowns.

Give me a break, By the way, go root for someone else like SMU. you will be bitching the rest of your life.

Edited by greenblooded43

Cool, you probably watched the single wing back then

Go Bowl

sorry truth hurts, but we seem to have the lowest expectations of any D1 school. We lose by 40pts consistently and all of sudden every team is amazing and they have a Heisman level QB.

KSU is not as good as we believe, LSU obviosuly is very good, Tulsa is solid but have played no one tough yet, and Rice is 2-2, not really murder's row there, but if that lets the last 4 embarassments ease out of your mind then so be it.

The problem with this post is that SMU sucks. We play SMU next year we beat them by 3 touchdowns.

I'm not so sure about that. And I'm definitely not confident we could beat SMU this year and we supplied them their lone victory last year. Unfortunately (or fortunately, you choose), we don't play SMU again until 2014 so all we can do is debate who would win. And, I think both teams will be drastically different by 2014, for better or worse.

Give me a break, By the way, go root for someone else like SMU. you will be bitching the rest of your life.

How is that any different than rooting for UNT? I've been following UNT since 1977 and I, along with many others, have found plenty to bitch about over the years. However, I've found plenty to enjoy and be proud of as well. I really enjoyed winning the SBC and going to a bowl game four years in a row. That feat raised my expectations of this program again and I expect to get back to that level and, hopefully, surpass it.

If you're happy with being a loser then I feel sorry for you.

The problem with this post is that SMU sucks. Last year Hawaii, played in the BCS got beat so bad i think they were the laughing stock of college football. We play SMU next year we beat them by 3 touchdowns.

Umm well North Texas sucks balls too. Yeah June Jones took Hawaii to the BCS and no they were not really a laughing stock...They just lost to a badass team. I believe he will turn SMU around sooner than people expect. Many have been rooting for North Texas our whole lives too and we have done nothing but bitched our whole lives. Your post absolutely made no sense.

I think you miss the crux of the problem - competitiveness.

Many here, including me, knew full well we'd be 0-4 without a miracle. However, what we didn't expect is the complete disappearance of the offense, no noticable change in results for the defense, and an even further regression of the special teams.

What Todd Dodge has not done is make this team more competitive. Of all the things that should be going right, the offense is as horrible as the defense. We were told, ad nauseum, that Dodge was some sort of offensive genius when he was hired. Well, where's the genius?

The time for trying to pump the Todd Dodge Sunshine up our backsides is over. It's time for the man and his coaching staff to do what they were hired and paid to do - coach this team to a competitive level.

And, don't give us this, "We just played Murderer's Row" bull. Kansas State had to hold off ULL last week in Manhattan, while we weren't even in the game with the Wildcats. Tulsa is good, but their defense is terrible. We couldn't exploit it. LSU is LSU. They could have named their score against us, but we couldn't even move against their substitutes. Rice was thrashed by Texas the week before and also has a suspect defense. They shut us down in the second half.

This isn't the SEC or Big 12. If Todd Dodge and his coaches cannot be competitive in Year Two in the Sun Belt, we are wasting what little money we pay them anyway. Currently, they are doing nothing but making amockery of our alma mater. And, believe me, I've got more loyalty to North Texas as the place I earned a degree than I do to Darrell Dickey or Todd Dodge or any football coach they might hire.

Quit screwing around and coach tackling. Quit making excuses about the facilities and find someone to field punts. Stop the whining and excuses and put a competitive football team on the field. That's what the man is paid to do.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I think you miss the crux of the problem - competitiveness.

Many here, including me, knew full well we'd be 0-4 without a miracle. However, what we didn't expect is the complete disappearance of the offense, no noticable change in results for the defense, and an even further regression of the special teams.

What Todd Dodge has not done is make this team more competitive. Of all the things that should be going right, the offense is as horrible as the defense. We were told, ad nauseum, that Dodge was some sort of offensive genius when he was hired. Well, where's the genius?

The time for trying to pump the Todd Dodge Sunshine up our backsides is over. It's time for the man and his coaching staff to do what they were hired and paid to do - coach this team to a competitive level.

And, don't give us this, "We just played Murderer's Row" bull. Kansas State had to hold off ULL last week in Manhattan, while we weren't even in the game with the Wildcats. Tulsa is good, but their defense is terrible. We couldn't exploit it. LSU is LSU. They could have named their score against us, but we couldn't even move against their substitutes. Rice was thrashed by Texas the week before and also has a suspect defense. They shut us down in the second half.

This isn't the SEC or Big 12. If Todd Dodge and his coaches cannot be competitive in Year Two in the Sun Belt, we are wasting what little money we pay them anyway. Currently, they are doing nothing but making amockery of our alma mater. And, believe me, I've got more loyalty to North Texas as the place I earned a degree than I do to Darrell Dickey or Todd Dodge or any football coach they might hire.

Quit screwing around and coach tackling. Quit making excuses about the facilities and find someone to field punts. Stop the whining and excuses and put a competitive football team on the field. That's what the man is paid to do.

My god you're my hero and for the longest time did not like you much :D