Does Mean Joe Ever Come To Games?

oldguystudent

Guest GrayEagleOne

Wiki says he lives in Flower Mound. Does he ever show up at Fouts?

He didn't for quite a few years but he came to a couple of games last year. He sits in the AD's box and is greeted all of the way up.

He didn't for quite a few years but he came to a couple of games last year. He sits in the AD's box and is greeted all of the way up.

His kids were in school (at UNT) in the early 90s also. I saw him around a few times back then.

I want to say that one (maybe both) of his sons were on the team.

His kids were in school (at UNT) in the early 90s also. I saw him around a few times back then.

I want to say that one (maybe both) of his sons were on the team.

His kids Major and Delon both played for North Texas.

Mean Joe had a long career as an assistant coach with the Steelers, Cardinals, and the Dolphins. He does now live in Flower Mound and has been to several games since he retired from coaching, I think he still does some scouting (prospect evaluations) for the Steelers, but he comes to North Texas games when he can.

Yes. Hewalked through the crowd last year and received a standing ovatation. As he walked by me I had to restrain myself from saying "Hey Mean Joe, want my Coke?" and extending my Diet Coke to him. I figured he had been beaten down enough by that the last few decades.

I'm sure he would give you a lecture on corn syrup, the obesity epidemic, and juvenile diabetes.

He was 2 seats in front of me in the "box" for Homecoming 1999. One of the few times my dad was ever excited about anything I "did" was that I got him a seat in the box near Joe Greene. I offered to get him an introduction but he said no...I think he was nervous. (My dad, not Joe ;) )