Ponyfans Thoughts On Unt

LAZER

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely bad publicity. I always wonder though about these kind of educational digs. Does having academic failures mean that an institution has high or low standards? Most universities these days including SMU are far from difficult. Does SMU having a high graduation rate for athletics mean that they only recruit academically superior athletes or is it simply that they are more successful putting them into specially designed degree plans that are structured to keep athletes eligible. Either way, I guess they have been smarter than NT at this point. Most schools love to brag about how many athletes are on the honor role, I've always though this was a very dubious destination. Athletics at the 1a level in any sport take a tremendous amount of time and dedication. The fact that it seems the majority of athletics end up as honor students these days is more an indictment of the schools academic standards than a testimony to the athletes' classroom abilities.

What a laugh, everytime they imply how easy it is to graduate from UNT.

GPA requirement for SMU graduation: 2.0

GPA requirement for UNT graduation: 2.7

And they think they are amoungst the business elite of Dallas...what a joke. In just a few short months UNT will own the downtown Universities Center at Dallas and a downtown UNT Law School that will add to already existing South Dallas UNT campus. Then there's the little thing in Fort Worth SMU doesn't have either, a MEDICAL SCHOOL! Soon, UNT will be the business elite of Dallas, Denton and Fort Worth, no thinking about it!!

I will personally stop trying to slander SMUt (sorry just one more jab there) because UNT has it going on. We need only to recognize our academic and athletic excellence for elevation amoungst universities and colleges across the country.

Oh, football....yeah, at least we didn't get the death penalty.

Go Mean Green!

Not to defend SMU because I do truly despise them, but until last year all potential SMU recruits had to be accepted academically into the university before they were allowed to actually be recruited and partake in visits. This was a result of the death penalty. Also, they did not have "majors" that catered to athletes until last year as well. They supposedly have removed these restriction with the new athletic regime in order to be more competitive in football and basketball.

Edited by Superfrog

I also do not understand why they think it is such a prestigious school. I have two friends from high school that are borderline retarded and attend SMU!

My daughter has a friend that is going there next year and she is borderline retarded but her daddy is LOADED and she is gorgeous. Ok my point is lost!

Edited by GreenExes

I also do not understand why they think it is such a prestigious school. I have two friends from high school that are borderline retarded and attend SMU!

I can think of at least 5 borderline retarded posters on this board. I'm no SMU-lover but I think education at any school is what you put into it. I also know a single mother who raised her daughter while getting undergrad and advanced degrees there, a few teaching students who are wonderful people, a brother-in-law via Auburn first, some great law students (and some raging law douchebags of course) and some fine film/theater folks. One of my best friends at UNT was an SMU transfer who loved both schools but was glad she came here.

Lazer, I know I quoted you, but this for everyone - why do we make this rivalry so petty all the time?

On a completely hypocritical, we'll be back to bashing the stereotype idea of them on TY soon, but when we do it, we hope to at least be funny and light-hearted about it. If we hit the right note, we might even get more anonymous requests from some tough Ponyfan types to mow their lawns. Or, if we cross the line again, maybe SMU will cock-block us the next time the conferences realign....(shakes fist)

--Yep they are outstanding in their field... the are the ONLY school to have achieved the honor and being smart enough to receive the DEATH PENALTY....LOL.

Not true. ULL got it basketball in the early 70's. Kentucky basketball in the 50's also got it.

While not an NCAA team (they were NAIA at the time) Arkansas-Pine Bluff got it in football in 1991 (they had players who were out of eligibility playing under the names of other people).

I can think of at least 5 borderline retarded posters on this board. I'm no SMU-lover but I think education at any school is what you put into it. I also know a single mother who raised her daughter while getting undergrad and advanced degrees there, a few teaching students who are wonderful people, a brother-in-law via Auburn first, some great law students (and some raging law douchebags of course) and some fine film/theater folks. One of my best friends at UNT was an SMU transfer who loved both schools but was glad she came here.

Lazer, I know I quoted you, but this for everyone - why do we make this rivalry so petty all the time?

On a completely hypocritical, we'll be back to bashing the stereotype idea of them on TY soon, but when we do it, we hope to at least be funny and light-hearted about it. If we hit the right note, we might even get more anonymous requests from some tough Ponyfan types to mow their lawns. Or, if we cross the line again, maybe SMU will cock-block us the next time the conferences realign....(shakes fist)

I completely agree with you...I have many foreign frieinds graduating from schools in third world countries and they are just as smart if not smarter than most people. Education is exactly what you put into it and all these stupid school rankings is nothing but a farse...they really mean nothing. Oh and from a business school aspect both UNT and SMU need to shut up because UTD can kick both schools asses so lets just be quiet and quit being a bunch of pansys. Only retards look at these rankings and choose a school based on that because once you graduate, unless you have the brains and intuition to do something in life, that peice of paper doesnt mean jack crap. I have a ton of friends that go to SMU and UNT and both schools have borderline retarded people. All schools have them including Harvard. Also the people that post on the ponyfans site...its always those same people posting bad things about UNT and its the same douches in this board that always say crap about SMU. NONE OF IT IS NECESSARY! The general student population in SMU doesnt have any ill thoughts about UNT so lets atleast drop this discussion on our side.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I just don't get this. About five or six people who think North Texas is a bunch of assholes. Who gives a rat's rear about what they think. We're so paranoid about SMU and for what reason?

Since they have been assessed the death penalty, we know that they are not a paragon of virtue. By the same token neither are we. So why repeat what a few known UNT bashers have to say unless they come on our board to say it. Then let them have it. Or, if you are so personally riled because they made fun of our losing some scholarships during a necessary housecleaning, then go to their board and tell them about it.

Money often makes you snobbish and SMU students/parents have a lot of money. So, yeah. they have their share, or more, of snobs but they also have plenty of mighty fine folks as well. Jtstang and eaststang don't speak for them. Jtstang and eaststang are no more representative of the SMU student body and alumni than Dominique Green and Desmon Chtmon were the voice of the entire North Texas football team.

Ive said this about 30 times before about SMUt. For all of you youngers guy/gals and/or possible UNT students. When SMU talks like this, laugh it off. 80% of the reason they say crap like that is just to get you wound up. This is nothing new. For years now, even since I graduated from UNT in 89, it's the same broken record over and over....

NTSU..

NTSTC..

North Texas State Community College...

Shunbelt

Continuing comments implying when we graduate, we'll be qualified to mow their lawn...

Denton is the "armpit" of the world.

They should never have to be reduced to play a lowly team such as UNT, it's SO beneathe them.

Sound familiar? it should, it's the same sh*t over and over.

It's not even original anymore. Let it go people. It's 3rd grade antics at best. WHO CARES????? They're not even serious about it. What I get a kick out of is HOW serious they are when they talk about their program, it's unyielding superiority. How they should be scheduled to play really big powerhouses like Notre Dame and Michigan. For such intellectual "superior degrees", they must not have a class in statistics.

SMU is a great school, part of Dallas History and could benefit by scheduling us, or for that matter some other Texas schools. But they're so hyped that they're God's football team, they cant see that. Fine, I say forget about playing them, I'm tired of the whining they raise every year. Good Lord did you hear them when they heard they scheduled Texas State? UGH - again, it's beneathe them, this is warmup game, they shouldnt have to play teams like this, ad infinitum...

And for the record, for the a-hole that said Denton is the armpit of the world, then "The Hilltop" is the cameltoe...

Smu is a fine institution, the people who attend the school may be a different story... Some, not all, are snobs and rude, but not everyone who goes there has money. Just let it go. Be proud of your school and smack talk when and if we ever play them again, if they aren't too scared to face us. GO MEAN GREEN.

Edited by filmerj

I cringe every time I see an SMU thread started on the forum. We aren't even playing them this year. Lets talk about opponents that are actually on our schedule.

Well it is one thing when it is listed like some specific SMU football thing is going on, but when we are worried about what they think or if they are better then us it is a very different thing.