Super Pit Idea

Am I the only one that harbors a strong dislike for the dark brown exterior of the Super Pit's roof? I think the university could dress it up a bit with some paint...a lot of paint.

Here's a current picture:

untpit2yf3.jpg

My concept is below. I wanted to do one where you can see the roof's physical features, but I only took 20 minutes to do this in Photoshop, so it's pretty crude. I can play around and get a better quality picture and concept art. I say checkerboard pattern on two sides (east/west) with "Home of the Mean Green" facing the tennis courts/rec center/southbound traffic on NT Blvd., while "Welcome to NORTH TEXAS" on the south side of the building; i.e. the part that faces I-35. The south side would be facing the same direction as the Gateway Center, so anyone at the intersection of NT Blvd. and Eagle Dr. could see that particular text.

superpit1zu0.jpg

Comments? Additional ideas? Flames?

EDIT: Just had another idea as I posted this. Instead of the diving eagle and NT wording on the corners, maybe checkerboard in the corners with some sort of text/logo combination on all four sides?

Edited by Green Buckeye

I believe the Superpit roof panels are made of a metal exterior intentionally meant to rust or oxidize, some of the light poles are the same material. I think the Pit exterior looks sort of classy now, better than many buildings we have up there. Although I like the Mean Green advertising, it seems a little NASCAR-ish with the checkerboarding. Perhaps toned down a little the same mural could be used instead on the I-35 retaining walls as you go under NT Blvd., but it might blind some people?

Edited by NT80

I know it's probably coming....but I'd hate to see the old barn be called anything but the SuperPit. Unless the company's name was on it from the beginning, it rubs me the wrong way to rename stadiums/arenas after some company.

This is one of the main reasons I had this idea yesterday, I was driving back to campus and you can really see that roof from pretty far off. I'd rather see the university make use of it than some corporate name.

Points for effort

I agree...points for effort. While I do agree that the Super Pit needs a facelift on the exterior, I think your idea seems a bit out there or should I say Nascarish or tacky. But if you put some more thought into it I think you can be on to something really good. In a Norm Hitzges-esque tone...."ppreciate ya pal!"