Rice Sept.27

Side Show Joe

Being a train nut, I found myself wishing I could take an Amtrak train directly to Houston (you'd have to take the Texas Eagle from Dallas or Fort Worth, then transfer to the Sunset Limited in San Antonio-not at all practical). However, I thought some of you might enjoy a reference to past rail glories in some quotes from Folklore in Motion, Texas Travel Lore, a 2007 Texas Folklore Society publication by the UNT press.

"WE'RE ON FIRE!

252 MILES IN 252 MINUTES. That was the schedule of the Sunbeams, No. 13 and No. 14, when the Southern Pacific Railroad began running streamlined passenger trains between Dallas and Houston in 1936. The streamlined cars were swank, uptown. The coaches had comfortable seats instead of the old padded benches. There was a dining car with real white linen tablecloths and naplins. Passengers enjoyed dining from quality crystal, china, and a real silver service that had silver coffeepots. Chefs in tall white caps prepared the food and waiters in white jackets served it.

Passengers rode in comfort in a big windowed observation car and watched the cars on the highways and cattle in pastures. Romances bloomed there during the 252 minute travel time in World War II. The door was located right over the wheels and when the door opened, passengers heard the busy clickety clack of wheels on rail joints."

It's good to see such rich stuff coming out of the UNT press. I may have to buy this one (I just checked it out of the library yesterday).

Reading the bio on the Exes chapter and all that is to come from a networking, socializing...point I dropped my renewal in the mail without hesitation. I am excited about our new blood in the Chapter and I could easily see this being the mother of away tailgates - kind of like our ones at OU have been - fun, convenient and easy to find.

If making a weekend of it and have kiddos in tow I know Six Flags is no longer there, but is there an aquarium or something interesting to take in early in the morning or on Sunday?

GMG

There is a pretty good aquarium downtown and the museums are fairly close to rice. I plan on going with my wife. My family lives in Houston and I am going to try to drag them to the game. I would love to see some sort of "exes" tailgaiting tent for those of us who don't have tailgating gear.

Edited by filmerj

I've already made hotel reservations and have purchased tickets with my season ticket package.

If you are a mgc member, how do you buy tickets for away games? I only bought home tix... do you get them trough the athletic office? Or can you get them online?

I'm in (pending Lera and the new 1 month old's approval) with all my tailgating stuff in tow. HoustonEagle, where do they usually allow the visitors to set up?

While I am not sure if there is a designated area for visitor tailgaiting it seems like I see them on the West side of the stadium.

Edited by HoustonEagle

Reading the bio on the Exes chapter and all that is to come from a networking, socializing...point I dropped my renewal in the mail without hesitation. I am excited about our new blood in the Chapter and I could easily see this being the mother of away tailgates - kind of like our ones at OU have been - fun, convenient and easy to find.

If making a weekend of it and have kiddos in tow I know Six Flags is no longer there, but is there an aquarium or something interesting to take in early in the morning or on Sunday?

GMG

I suggest taking the kids to Herman Park which is walking distance from Rice (though with kids you would want to drive) There you will find a beautiful park with a nice long miniature train ride, paddle boats on the lake, ducks to feed, the Houston Zoo, the Japanese Gardens, the Museum of Natural Science (among others) and several things I am forgetting. A family could easily make a day of it.

What about a hotel? Is there a good one within walking distance of the stadium? Two of us will be there for sure, maybe four all together.

GMG!

GMG

Yes, there is an Aquarium here, a little pricy for what it is though, but nice. If you're looking for an all day thing there is Keemah and Galveston, or NASA. NASA is kinda dull though even for kids. There is also the Childrens Museum which is top notch. For the ladies there is the Galleria, be sure to bring the plastic.

What about a hotel? Is there a good one within walking distance of the stadium?

No, none within walking distance but several close enough for a short drive.

Hermann Park is a pretty good walk from Rice Stadium and you have to cross some very busy streets to get to the Rice campus. Also, I don't think the train is there anymore. You better check that, though.

I would encourage those who haven't done so to take some time to stroll through the Rice campus. Very nice.

No, none within walking distance but several close enough for a short drive.

Hermann Park is a pretty good walk from Rice Stadium and you have to cross some very busy streets to get to the Rice campus. Also, I don't think the train is there anymore. You better check that, though.

I would encourage those who haven't done so to take some time to stroll through the Rice campus. Very nice.

Not only is it there but new and improved.

I don't advocate families walking from Rice Stadium to Herman as well. Though the main campus is a stones throw and the cross walks are plenty safe. As for Hotels there are several in the Med-Center next to Rice (too far to walk to game) but if I was visiting Houston I would stay either Downtown or the Galleria area.

I've stayed many times at the Renaissance Hotel - Greenway Plaza which is a mile or two away for events in that area. I live on the NW side of Houston, so we stay down there for Rodeo events and stuff like that.

There is plenty of shopping, restaruants, bars in Rice Village which is not far from the stadium. There is plenty of places to go in that area. Around the 59/Kirby area are many trendy clubs and good restaraunts. You are not far from the Galleria (610/59 ish), the heights, midtown or downtown. So there is plenty to do for this trip.

We should get the exes to host some nightly events around town and make it like a mini-NOLA bowl. :D

I'm really looking forward to this game. Finally a game that I can wake up and drive across town to attend!

Just FYI - I had emailed Nick Williams (Director of the Green Brigade) and asked him which away games the band would be attending. He replied and said Rice is the ONLY game they (Band, Dance and Cheerleaders)will make the trip to...

Edited by trud1966

Anyone got directions to the fifth ward?

yeah just follow 59 north from Rice. Once you pass downtown, you can take the Waco St exit- it will drop you off right at the entrance. I did it by accident once- definitely worth the DAYTIME drive-thru (not to be mistaken with the nighttime drive-by).

Or you could just go a little east of the med center to the 3rd ward, which backs up to U of H and TSU. Though considered an "up-and-coming" area, it's still plenty ghetto for your voyeuristic pleasure.

Also, check out Discovery Green. Set to open April 13th, it's going to be a great place to hang out, right in downtown. By the time the game comes along, several other developments in the area will be also finished, making it a pretty decent area to walk around- with or without the company of children.

As game time nears, I'll be happy to make some restaurant and bar suggestions. Like Dallas, there is no shortage of places to grab good food or throw down a few-to-several drinks.

Edited by Eagle1855

Just FYI - I had emailed Nick Williams (Director of the Green Brigade) and asked him which away games the band would be attending. He replied and said Rice is the ONLY game they (Band, Dance and Cheerleaders)will make the trip to...

In front of all 10,000 fans? Must be because no overnight involved? Sad we don't have closer conference games that the band can attend and help us win. :(

Still being relatively new to Houston, 3 years, and with two small children, you can't go wrong taking them to the Herman Park area. The zoo and the Children's Museum are great although the museum can get pretty crowded. The Aquarium is downtown and is a private venture similar to the Downtown Aquarium in Dallas, so it can be a little pricey. It is easy to find though. As you enter downtown on 45 just look for the ferris wheel.

Here is their link: Houston Aquarium

Kemah, which is about an hour south of Houston is another good place to take the kids with food, drinks, the beach, rides, etc....

Here is their link: Kemah Boardwalk Aquarium

The Rice Village area is great for places to eat and drink, but not as kid friendly as what I mentioned above.