Rice Sept.27

Side Show Joe

Looking at next year I see a tough non-conference schedule for our team. Everyone knows K-State, and LSU are big challenges. Playing Tulsa at home should draw a very large crowd, and I feel it is a game we stand a good chance of winning. But my focus is on the Rice game. Rice is a road game I really feel we can win. Being from the Houston area, My wife and I are going to make a weekend trip for the game, but we are also dragging my whole family to the game to cheer for the Green. It will be my nephew's first college football game. Some friends from Denton are also going with us, and some who have graduated and moved back to Houston are going to meet us at the game. In total we should have between 15 and 20 in our group.

This brings me to my point. We have a chance to make a statement at this game. Not just by winning, but also by showing how well we can travel for an in-state game with another Bowl Subdivision team. Is anybody else planning to take a large group to this game? I would love to see the size of our crowd rival the size of their crowd. I'd love to see our team get that kind of support.

iwill be there with as many of my family members as I can talk in to going. Would anyone be interested in a down and back bus trip sponsored by the Exes?

Yes. The OU trip last year was very easy and a lot of fun (except for the score). Do we know yet when game time is?

Express either personally, by phone, or e-mail to the Executive Director of the EXES, Derrick Morgan, that you want to see an EXES bus trip organized and a Houston event for the RICE game. There is a strong Gulf Coast Chapter that with the help of Director of Chapter Development, Rob McKinney, could really make this a big time showing, but work needs to start right now. Incoming EXES president Steve Broadbeck, a former cheerleader, is enthused about UNT athletics and will also back the event. There is an executive committee meeting next Mon. @ Noon and a Board meeting in Dallas a week from Friday. We could have a sign up sheet at the Spring Game, April 12th at 2 to gauge interest in such a trip so it can be shown to be financially feasible. There will be a discount for EXES members, but all interested in going should make it known NOW. Just one of the ways your $40. EXES membership can work toward making UNT pride what it needs to be. We would want to have all committments and $$ before LSU if possible. Thankfully there is an open date after LSU before RICE to heal and regroup as LSU will be an EXTREMELY UGLY game in Death Valley.

Express either personally, by phone, or e-mail to the Executive Director of the EXES, Derrick Morgan, that you want to see an EXES bus trip organized and a Houston event for the RICE game. There is a strong Gulf Coast Chapter that with the help of Director of Chapter Development, Rob McKinney, could really make this a big time showing, but work needs to start right now. Incoming EXES president Steve Broadbeck, a former cheerleader, is enthused about UNT athletics and will also back the event. There is an executive committee meeting next Mon. @ Noon and a Board meeting in Dallas a week from Friday. We could have a sign up sheet at the Spring Game, April 12th at 2 to gauge interest in such a trip so it can be shown to be financially feasible. There will be a discount for EXES members, but all interested in going should make it known NOW. Just one of the ways your $40. EXES membership can work toward making UNT pride what it needs to be. We would want to have all committments and $$ before LSU if possible. Thankfully there is an open date after LSU before RICE to heal and regroup as LSU will be an EXTREMELY UGLY game in Death Valley.

I'm very excited to see so much interest in getting our fans to this Rice game. If we can come together and pull this off, we might be looking at a long term series with Rice. I went to three of the spring practices and feel very positive about our team this year. Dodge has the passing game looking shape and, I love the coaching style of DeLoach. He's the loudest coach on the field, and he really has the defense playing physical.

Reading the bio on the Exes chapter and all that is to come from a networking, socializing...point I dropped my renewal in the mail without hesitation. I am excited about our new blood in the Chapter and I could easily see this being the mother of away tailgates - kind of like our ones at OU have been - fun, convenient and easy to find.

If making a weekend of it and have kiddos in tow I know Six Flags is no longer there, but is there an aquarium or something interesting to take in early in the morning or on Sunday?

GMG