New Spring Roster

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

The new spring roster is now up and there are a few surprises.

In addition to the ones known (Roman, Peachey, Banks, etc.) four others are no longer listed with the team. They are Charlie Brown, Sam Owusu-Hemeng, Robbie Gordon, and Brian Nelson. Also gone are some former walkons.....Maldonado, Babb, Luna and Teasdale. I thought that Daniel Meager had left as well but they merely made a mistake on his number, listing him as 73, rather than 7.

Several have moved to new positions. Bron Hager was moved from SS to LB. Isiah Smith and Arthur Stubblefield have been moved from WR to DB (corners?). Walkon Kevin Dickerson was moved from WR to RB.

As of now, neither Draylon Ross or Tobe Nwigwe have been removed from the roster. I'd be surprised if either stays but you never know.

The new spring roster is now up and there are a few surprises.

In addition to the ones known (Roman, Peachey, Banks, etc.) four others are no longer listed with the team. They are Charlie Brown, Sam Owusu-Hemeng, Robbie Gordon, and Brian Nelson. Also gone are some former walkons.....Maldonado, Babb, Luna and Teasdale. I thought that Daniel Meager had left as well but they merely made a mistake on his number, listing him as 73, rather than 7.

Several have moved to new positions. Bron Hager was moved from SS to LB. Isiah Smith and Arthur Stubblefield have been moved from WR to DB (corners?). Walkon Kevin Dickerson was moved from WR to RB.

As of now, neither Draylon Ross or Tobe Nwigwe have been removed from the roster. I'd be surprised if either stays but you never know.

Charlie Brown being gone really surprises me. I thought he would have made a pretty good DE.

Thank you.

By the way, I noticed they have walk on Brent Barrow being from Brownwood HS in Pebble Beach California. I've tried to do a search and can find no such school. Maybe someone else here might have something about it?

Rick

It is the famed Brownwood (Texas) HS.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Thank you.

By the way, I noticed they have walk on Brent Barrow being from Brownwood HS in Pebble Beach California. I've tried to do a search and can find no such school. Maybe someone else here might have something about it?

Rick

By the way, Rick, Brett Barrow is the son of the Director of Football Operations Mark Barrow. He has lived in Texas the past several years and apparently Brownwood before last year. The only reason that I can think of his listing Pebble Beach, CA is because he was born there?

By the way, Rick, Brett Barrow is the son of the Director of Football Operations Mark Barrow. He has lived in Texas the past several years and apparently Brownwood before last year. The only reason that I can think of his listing Pebble Beach, CA is because he was born there?

I am sure that is what it is, the column is listed as "Hometown (Prev School)". We had some guys in my high school that just arrived in Dallas for high school of transferred in during high school because of the parent's jobs, they still called the towns they grew up in their hometowns even after we graduated. Not sure if that changes.

DONTE NEAL -- Fr., RB/DB, 5-11, 195, Arlington, Texas (Seguin High School)

Ranked by Super Prep as the nation's No. 81 safety prospect coming out of the 2007 recruiting class ... Will be joined at Mizzou by Seguin teammate Kendall Irving ... Was a 1st-Team All-District pick each of his last 2 years ... Registered 88 tackles as a senior in 2006, with 8 TFLs and 5 QB sacks, while notching 73 tackles, 3 TFLs and 1 QB sack during his junior campaign of 2005, when he helped guide his team to a 4th-place finish in the state playoffs ... Added 35 tackles as a sophomore and grabbed 3 INTs on the year ... Also starred in track at Seguin, where he holds the school record in the long jump, at 23 feet, 5 inches ... High school coach - Ricky Albus ... Chose Mizzou over Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Kansas State and Kansas, among others ... Parents - Danny Neal & Naomi Timberlake ... Primary Mizzou recruiter - Dave Steckel.

we are going to be stacked with talent in the secondary this year

Ranked by Super Prep as the nation's No. 81 safety prospect coming out of the 2007 recruiting class ... Will be joined at Mizzou by Seguin teammate Kendall Irving ... Was a 1st-Team All-District pick each of his last 2 years ... Registered 88 tackles as a senior in 2006, with 8 TFLs and 5 QB sacks, while notching 73 tackles, 3 TFLs and 1 QB sack during his junior campaign of 2005, when he helped guide his team to a 4th-place finish in the state playoffs ... Added 35 tackles as a sophomore and grabbed 3 INTs on the year ... Also starred in track at Seguin, where he holds the school record in the long jump, at 23 feet, 5 inches ... High school coach - Ricky Albus ... Chose Mizzou over Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Kansas State and Kansas, among others ... Parents - Danny Neal & Naomi Timberlake ... Primary Mizzou recruiter - Dave Steckel.

This guy sounds like a nice player. Anyone know the story here?

Looking at that Spring roster, am I the only one that sees a shortness of size and experience on the Offensive and Defensive lines? I know we have a couple of JC's coming in this Fall but they are unproven. This scares the hell out of me.

You're not the only one. This is the thinnest (unproven talent wise) that I've seen in the OL and DL, especially, since the Simon era. Maybe DeSoto and Scoggins will turn out to be super-studs. I certainly hope so, because we are nowhere near top Sun Belt quality at the DT's without their unexpected development.

Neal was a Scout 3-star recruit.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Looking at that Spring roster, am I the only one that sees a shortness of size and experience on the Offensive and Defensive lines? I know we have a couple of JC's coming in this Fall but they are unproven. This scares the hell out of me.

Phil, if you are just looking at the Spring roster, then yeah, there is definitely a shortage of size and not a tremendous amount of experience. First, let me say that most of those weights are from a year ago and few have been updated. The Strength & Conditioning Progam is designed to add weight (muscle weighs more than fat) and all of the veterans have been on this program for at least a year. So some of those 270-275 pound linemen are more than likely 290-300 these days.

It's even worse for the spring, where the starting center, a starting defensive tackle and the #1 backup on the offensive line will all miss spring ball while they recover from medical conditions. The good news it will give us a better opportunity to see how players like J.J. Jackson, Matt Tomlinson, Jacob Kaiser, Jesse DeSoto, and J.T. Scoggins have progressed.

While the JCs are unproven at the FBS level, they have had two years to mature and stay active by actually playing. They are some of the more talented of the JCs so they possess better skills than our new recruits. One of the defensive ends played 11 games for Auburn before attending a CC. This fall our size should be better with the influx of JC lineman. We'll be heavier than last year on both sides of the line. It's very likely that our starting offensive line goes 290, 320, 300, 302, and 335; with two of those 6-4 and two more 6-5. That's huge for us. Two starters and the #1 backup (who actually had more playing time than the returning starter) are back and the new guy will be the above mentioned who played at Auburn, is 6-4, 260 and runs a 4.7 forty.

Of the nine OL and DL players, eight have started at least one game for us, so line play will have some experienced hands. It's he linebackers and defensive backs where we are most vulnerable to inexperience.

Agree on defensive line, but do not understand your comment relative to the offensive line were NT only lost one starter. Offensive line has four starters returning: Drake, Menard, Santiago and Bailey plus Rose who started a handful of games last year and was the starting center in his freshman and sophomore years. Add to that three redshirts and a couple a jucos and the offensive line should be much improved. As far as size, the offensive line should be the biggest in history. Last year was the year to be very concerned about the offensive line.

Phil, if you are just looking at the Spring roster, then yeah, there is definitely a shortage of size and not a tremendous amount of experience. First, let me say that most of those weights are from a year ago and few have been updated. The Strength & Conditioning Progam is designed to add weight (muscle weighs more than fat) and all of the veterans have been on this program for at least a year. So some of those 270-275 pound linemen are more than likely 290-300 these days.

It's even worse for the spring, where the starting center, a starting defensive tackle and the #1 backup on the offensive line will all miss spring ball while they recover from medical conditions. The good news it will give us a better opportunity to see how players like J.J. Jackson, Matt Tomlinson, Jacob Kaiser, Jesse DeSoto, and J.T. Scoggins have progressed.

While the JCs are unproven at the FBS level, they have had two years to mature and stay active by actually playing. They are some of the more talented of the JCs so they possess better skills than our new recruits. One of the defensive ends played 11 games for Auburn before attending a CC. This fall our size should be better with the influx of JC lineman. We'll be heavier than last year on both sides of the line. It's very likely that our starting offensive line goes 290, 320, 300, 302, and 335; with two of those 6-4 and two more 6-5. That's huge for us. Two starters and the #1 backup (who actually had more playing time than the returning starter) are back and the new guy will be the above mentioned who played at Auburn, is 6-4, 260 and runs a 4.7 forty.

Of the nine OL and DL players, eight have started at least one game for us, so line play will have some experienced hands. It's he linebackers and defensive backs where we are most vulnerable to inexperience.

76 Davidson, Bradley OL 6-0 238 Fr. Justin, TX (Northwest HS) :unsure:

64 Gill, Victor OL 6-5 235 So. Argyle, TX (Argyle HS) :unsure:

63 Highfill, Zachary OL 6-2 260 Jr. Denton, TX (East Central University)

78 Kokjohn, Troy OL 6-2 258 Fr. Carrollton, TX (Hebron HS)

78 Kubula, Tyler DT 6-1 240 Fr. Tulsa, OK (Metro Christian) :unsure:

96 Okonkwo, Kenneth DT 6-2 230 So. Richardson, TX (Berkner HS)

Jack, I certainly hope that you're right.

Charlie Brown being gone really surprises me. I thought he would have made a pretty good DE.

I just spoke with Eric Capper. Charlie is still with the team. He has been moved to DT and should've been on the roster.