B-ball Team Impressive Tonight

SUMG

I left the game with a little over 5 minutes left...and us up 87-52.

We looked good. You're going to really like the newcomers. Of the newcomers, Dez Willingham and Adam McCoy both looked great...and the three freshmen who played (Hogans, Thompson, and Josh White) ....all had their moments.

Collin Dennis did not play.......

Harold Stewart played sparingly. He's been injured, I think, and is working himself back into playing shape.

Wooden is playing without a knee brace this year.....and is much more active. And Quincy looks thinner....but in great shape.

I think we've got enough talent to go to the Dance again....that's for sure.

Also, the crowd was impressive for an exhibition. (I'd say over 1,000. Plus, they were very vocal).

This year could be lots of fun.

Our starters: Quincy, Wooden, Bell, Dez and Adam McCoy.

GMG.

Edited by SUMG

The final ended up being 108-71.. I agree they were very impressive tonight.. The guards we brought in all have very good looking 3-point shots, and should be able to lessen the blow we took by losing Watson and Davis to graduation, that was something I was worried about going into the season.. Howerton actually looked somewhat coordinated tonight, perhaps that was because the people who were guarding him were 6 inches shorter then him.. I liked the intensity we had on defense, Wooden and Williams were tough in the middle.. I was really impressed with Tristan Thompson, he looked very comfortable out there for it being his first Division 1 game.. I also like what I saw in Kedrick Hogans, he is super athletic and should develop into a great player for our team.. Overall I think this will be a really exciting year.. Does anyone know what the deal is w/ Collin Dennis?? I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday, but I can't wait until the Oklahoma State game next Wednesday.. Go Mean Green!! fire Johnny Jones! ;)

There are so many new players that it is hard to tell just how good we are and can be. It appears that JJ recruited some real talent so I think we have a chance to do very well this season. The initial starting line up of Bell, Willingham, McCoy, Williams, and Wooden looked unstoppable. We put up 12 points so fast that they had to call a time out within 2 minutes of the start of the game.

A few comments on the players.....Ben Bell drove hard to basket tonight several times and made some nice jump shots. I noticed he had his left wrist taped and apparently landed on it on a drive to basket. He held his wrist for a few second but didn't show any further signs of injury. Kendrick Hogans has great potential. He plays strong like a big man, though he doesn't have the weight that Quincy or Wooden has. Hogans is quick too, similar to Stewart. I think my favorite newcomer tonight was Adam McCoy. He is "as advertised" and more. He nails 3 point shots, and will take them with a hand in face (not just when wide open) with no problem. He also had a dunk, nice drives to rim, and good ball control. He could be something special. Josh White looked good too. I'd say that he looked like a point guard with at least a year or two at the position despite this being his first D1A game, and plays with obvious confidence. Triston Thompson looked good in flashes. In the first half, he was very aggressive to the rim, bordering on out of control, but settled down in the 2nd half and made some nice shots. Dez Willingham looked like the most polished player on the court, and made some great plays and very nice shots. He is great addition to the lineup. Quincy and Wooden both looked good and the combo of the two made the game unmanageable for our opponents. Wooden did look a little rusty at times. Montague came into the game for the last 1:30, but there were no opportunities to really evaluate him. Howerton did look more coordinated tonight. He caught a tough no look pass from Williams (I think) that he would drop or miss outright last season. With Howerton's size/weight, it would great for the team if he could develop into a really good center.

I only had a few concerns. First, we look like an overall smaller (in size/weight) team. Our starting guards were 6'0 (Williamham), 6'3 (Bell), and 6'4 (McCoy) and none are over 200lbs. Even Triston at 6"5' is only a buck eight five. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but just different. Second, I do not like the Aggies put up 70 on us. But that is JJ's philosophy... offense...to outscore the opponent. JJ rotated players frequently so there wasn't alot of time for players to get settled in on defense, and this could have had something to do with it.

This team looks really promising. The team played great for about the first 15 minutes and coasted for the rest of the game. Exhibition games are always misleading, but the newcomers all looks like they will contribute. There was not a whole lot of defense played after NT got the big lead. Dez Willingham and Adam McCoy both looked like they have the three point shots to spread the defense. The late signing of Dez could be monumental for this years team, he looked quite comfortable playing the wing. White looked very good at point and has an offensive game. Those worrying that Hogans being just an add on to get the practice team numbers up, don't worry he looks like he belonged out there. Thompson had some moments and certainly should be an offensive threat.

This team looks really promising. The team played great for about the first 15 minutes and coasted for the rest of the game. Exhibition games are always misleading, but the newcomers all looks like they will contribute. There was not a whole lot of defense played after NT got the big lead. Dez Willingham and Adam McCoy both looked like they have the three point shots to spread the defense. The late signing of Dez could be monumental for this years team, he looked quite comfortable playing the wing. White looked very good at point and has an offensive game. Those worrying that Hogans being just an add on to get the practice team numbers up, don't worry he looks like he belonged out there. Thompson had some moments and certainly should be an offensive threat.

Your right... Hogans was a pleasant surprise.

Edited by chrisfisher

Thanks for the writeups guys. :D

No problem. I should have added to my list of concerns: free throw shooting. Even some of our high percentage free throw shooting new recruits were missing shots. Let's just hope that they were nervous with this being their first D1A game. If we want to dance, and stay in the dance, we have to put away free throws.

The Panhandle State web site listed us as North Texas State and says that their conference (Heartland Conference) tournament will be at North Texas State in Denton. Perhaps they learned our name tonight.

Like Muhammed Ali opening up a can of whoop ass on Ernie Terrell...

*POP*POP*

"What's my name, m-f'er?!"

No problem. I should have added to my list of concerns: free throw shooting. Even some of our high percentage free throw shooting new recruits were missing shots. Let's just hope that they were nervous with this being their first D1A game. If we want to dance, and stay in the dance, we have to put away free throws.

:( Not what I wanted to hear on the FT shooting front. Otherwise, thanks for the write ups guys, it sounded pretty promising overall. Can't wait for the OK. State game.

Does this years team still seem to posses the same/better athleticism as last years squad? It sounded from the write-ups like we are playing a very high tempo style of game again this year.

:( Not what I wanted to hear on the FT shooting front. Otherwise, thanks for the write ups guys, it sounded pretty promising overall. Can't wait for the OK. State game.

Does this years team still seem to posses the same/better athleticism as last years squad? It sounded from the write-ups like we are playing a very high tempo style of game again this year.

It appears that we have a very athletic team. Josh White, Adam McCoy, Willingham, and Thompson all love to press the action. They will be launching bombs from all over the floor. I suspect we will be playing as high or higher tempo than last year. I think we may be OK with these new recruits plus Quincy and Wooden. We'll have a better idea where we stand come Wednesday against Oklahoma State. The Aggies are a common opponent for UNT and Okie State this season. Okie state limited the Aggies to fewer points, but we put up quite a bit more points on the Aggies than Okie State did. Not sure that means anything though.