Barnett To Smu?

SouthernMustang

I think this would be a great hire. And very typical of Orsini (hire Doherty despite UNC departure). Some baggage, but I think this article clears things up a bit (http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10010362/1). At least doesn't make him seem so "tarnished" and bad. IMHO, this would be a great pick-up for SMU. If he could win at Northwestern in the Big Ten, no doubt he could make SMU a winner in a conference like CUSA. With Dodge at UNT, Patterson at TCU, and someone like Barnett at SMU -- there could be 3 legitimate programs bowling each year in the metroplex.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...h.2cb2b65.html

09:13 PM CDT on Saturday, November 3, 2007

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News

khairopoulos@dallasnews.com

Former Colorado and Northwestern football coach Gary Barnett said Saturday that he would be interested in the opening at SMU.

Barnett, 61, said he discussed the position with the Plano-based search firm employed by SMU.

Colleges

Chat: SMU athletic director Steve Orsini takes your questions at 11:30 a.m. (CT) on Wednesday, Nov. 7.

SMU fired coach Phil Bennett on Oct. 28.

"I let them know it was a job I've always been intrigued by," said Barnett, who works as a television and radio analyst since accepting a $3 million settlement to step down at Colorado on Dec. 8, 2005 after a tenure filled with controversy.

Barnett made it clear he wants to return to coaching and said he was disappointed to be out of coaching for a second straight season. "It wasn't unpredictable. You make the most of it," he said.

Barnett was on Bill McCartney's coaching staff in the spring of 1988, when McCartney accepted the job to lead SMU's return from the death penalty before changing his mind and remaining at Colorado.

"We were planning on moving," Barnett said. "It fell apart ... but since then I've watched it really close."

Barnett led a long-dormant Northwestern program to the Rose Bowl before returning to Colorado as head coach. He was 49-38 in seven seasons at Colorado, including a Big 12 championship and four Big 12 North titles.

Barnett appears on a television show on the Bowl Championship Series, but said he isn't averse to coaching in a conference, such as SMU's Conference USA, which isn't an automatic BCS qualifier.

Barnett also said he was fond of Texas, though he said he had no current plans to visit SMU or the state until the Big 12 Championship on Dec. 1 in San Antonio.

"Anybody in coaching," Barnett said, "knows what a thrill it is to coach in the state of Texas."

I am a little surprised by some of the big names that are interested in the SMU job. Rick Neuheisel, Terry Bowden, and now Gary Barnett? Todd better get busy on his recruiting. I think SMU's new AD Steve Orsini is a bigtime guy, and with all of the things he has already done at SMU, it sure looks like this guy means business.

I am a little surprised by some of the big names that are interested in the SMU job. Rick Neuheisel, Terry Bowden, and now Gary Barnett? Todd better get busy on his recruiting. I think SMU's new AD Steve Orsini is a bigtime guy, and with all of the things he has already done at SMU, it sure looks like this guy means business.

They are looking to make a big splash. I was told be several within our AD that SMU had authorized somewhere between 1-1.5 mil a year for their new coach. If that is in fact the case (Southern Mustang or Poneez feel free to correct this if it's not accurate), they will attract some very good candidates for the job. Tons of Potential at SMU...if they in fact make a solid commitment.

I def think Orisini means business. He took a school with "potential" (UCF) and got them a big name coach (O'Leary). They won their division in CUSA, and are having a great year this year, and they now have a brand new stadium that's been sold out nearly all season, as well as a new basketball arena. I don't know much, but the #'s I hear thrown are around are $1-1.5 mill/year they will offer a coach. I think that also has to do with the names being thrown around for the SMU job.

I also think a lot of people look at Tulsa and TCU and think, "Hey I could do that at SMU." Don't need to build a stadium, and Bennett did implement some recruiting changes that will make it easier. Also, guarantee a new coach such as this will get some new lee-way with recruiting standards. Appears that Orsinis is truly committed, and that's definitely something nice to see for a change. Between this $ being spent on a coach, and the W library coming to SMU, there might be a faculty revolt on the Hilltop. Although the alumni base and student body will be excited for both.. which is who pays the bills.

What I like about Barnett is that he won at Northwestern with sub-par talent, and he also beat teams that he shouldn't have beaten while at Colorado (including winning the Bix XII). That's s

What would you all say if one of the Pony Express was interested. No, not E. Dick but CJ (as in Craig James)! Don't know about his coaching potential, but definitely a known name who could get in any kids living room. SMU is a real threat to UNT recruiting wise if they make a good hire. They have matched academic entry requirements (since death penalty) to match other D-1 programs but do not have many degree programs that are athlete friendly. Therefore a problem still exist. Even so, they are a sleeping giant in my opinion. If SMU put their mind to it, they could be very successful and progress much the same as USC and Miami. Both private schools with approx 8-10K enrollments. We will see!!

What would you all say if one of the Pony Express was interested. No, not E. Dick but CJ (as in Craig James)! Don't know about his coaching potential, but definitely a known name who could get in any kids living room. SMU is a real threat to UNT recruiting wise if they make a good hire. They have matched academic entry requirements (since death penalty) to match other D-1 programs but do not have many degree programs that are athlete friendly. Therefore a problem still exist. Even so, they are a sleeping giant in my opinion. If SMU put their mind to it, they could be very successful and progress much the same as USC and Miami. Both private schools with approx 8-10K enrollments. We will see!!

IMHO, this is SMU's last shot. They can't afford a bad hire. Yeah, Craig James would make a huge buzz; but what if he doesn't know anything? If that doesn't pan out, SMU looks like the graveyard it's made out to be.. even though the guy's never coachd a lick of football. I would be much more prone to hiring a Barnett, Neuheisel, or Mason who have proven they can coach -- and coach at schools that aren't perennial powers and make them competitve and go bowling in difficult conferences.

I don't think we'll ever be Miami or USC, just b/c of conference alignment -- but no reason can't be a Tulsa, TCU, or BYU. SMU has addressed some of the athlete-friendly major issues, and I believe implemented an educaiton department a year ago or so. I think.. might be wrong.. but I think they did do that.

In reality, there is no excuse for UNT or SMU to have the records they do in their conferences. They're not Baylor or Vandy in the SEC or Big XII. Both schools are in Texas and in the metroplex, how hard can it be to outrecruit the likes of Arkansas State, MTSU, UAB, Southern Miss, etc?

UNT made its commitment to get Dodge, if SMU can make a big hire like Barnett -- where not only do they bring a name, but the credibility to assemble a quality cast of assistant -- then both programs will finally be headed in the right direction.

New coach hunting at NCAA D1-A schools is as popular as the Texas HS football/D1-A collegiate recruiting time of year itself.

SouthernMustang, yall have spent more than your share of time in post D.P. purgatory. Hope your new hire (whoever that may be) is the right one who gets yall out of that purgatory, but pleeeezzzzz.........................tell your elect that it may take your (eventual) new HFC more than half a season to turn it around. :rolleyes:

I know SMU's recent recruiting classes have been more than holding their own with DC's Texas Football Magazine recruiting gurus (one of which is the father of a former Mean Green football player), so its not that your new HFC won't have a few hosses in the stalls to start out with next Fall.

Good luck.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think Barnett would be a solid hire. They need a coach who knows x's and o's unlike the celebrity hire James would be. Whoever the coach is I would hope they see a UNT/SMU/TCU trivalry as a great thing!

beat Navy!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barnett will be a perfect fit for SMU. I salivate over his hiring...the final nail in the coffin of SMU football.

:lol:

And to those who mentioned Rick Neuheisel, Terry Bowden, et al, those were names tossed out by media, not themselves. I do not think Craig James is on good terms with $MU, he wouldn't let his son consider them during recruiting and was missing from the tribute to the pay-for-play team on display at the NT game.

Edited by NT80

There's no way SMU hires Barnett or any other coach with a record of recruiting violations. They'd be accused of being so desperate to win that they're going back to the bad old days.

I wonder whether Barnett deserves another chance after the way he handled the Katie Hnida situation.

She was a third- or fourth-string kicker invited to the team by his predecessor Rick Neuheisel who quit under Barnett. When she made allegations of being raped while on the team and frequently abused by players, his response was to ridicule her athletic ability to the press. "It was obvious Katie was not very good," he said. "She was awful. You know what guys do? They respect your ability. I mean, you could be 90 years old, but if you could go out and play, they would respect you. Well Katie was a girl, and not only was she a girl, she was terrible." At a time when his campus was dealing with rape allegations made by several women against his team, Barnett suggested Hnida deserved to be disrespected by his other players. Classy, eh?

Whoever SMU hires needs to be a good one. There are a ton of coaches out there they can go after and after Franchione most likely getting the boot after this season they have a great shot in making a splash and getting back into the college football sports scene. I think SMU saw how much press NT and TD got after the hiring last year that they probably said to themselves, they can get a legitimate big time college football experienced coach and totally elevate the SMU sports program. Good for SMU and great for the the DFW CFB sports scene.

Whoever SMU hires needs to be a good one. There are a ton of coaches out there they can go after and after Franchione most likely getting the boot after this season they have a great shot in making a splash and getting back into the college football sports scene.

I wonder if they're wishing Dodge was available.