Attendance

dml7007

Fouts is pretty much designed to NOT trap in and reflect sound. The difference in noise level from the first row of the stands to the actual field is pretty big because of the distance involved. The amount of distance from the 1st row to the 30th row is probably double what it should be because of the very low angle. The stadium is not enclosed, so sound can escape through the gaps.

I always thought Arkie State's stadium was great at making a few people sound really loud. It of course is the opposite of Fouts. The stands are sunken, close to the field, and have a steep angle.

Cerebus,

I understand what you are saying about the noise escaping because of the way the stadium is designed. That point is valid. What I mean by having "no home field advantage" is because the fans (specifically the alumni side) don't react to anything that happens in the game. It has been that way on the alumni side for years. The only times I've ever seen fans on that side fired up was the NMSU 02" game for the conference title, the Baylor game, and the SMU game. All of which rank as the top 3 games I've experienced in my 10 years of watching Mean Green football. When the fans are actually "into the game" Fouts isn't really that bad. It just doesn't happen consistently. No one can really argue with that point.

KRAM 1, I'm glad that you responded the way that you did. If there were more fans like you sitting on the Alumin side, the games would probably be more fun for everyone. I don't expect the alums to play "dress up" and paint their bodies or anything...I just don't want people yelling at other Mean Green fans to "sit down" when they stand up and cheer for the defense on a big third down. I want the fans to show some emotion during the appropriate times during the game. The alumni could really help to provide our team with a true home field advantage, however, in my 10 years of watching NT football, I have not been impressed with the way the alums "get into the game" save for the examples I mentioned above.

I sit on the alumni side. Lower section E, row 17. The people around me cheer, yell, boo a preceived bad call, and contribute to the "North" "Texas" cheer. I didn't hear anyone yelling at NT players or coaches. We stand on third downs and on fourth downs when the opposing team goes for it. It seems pretty thick around me. I don't know where the problem "alums" sit, but it's not near where I sit.

I wa really impressed with the Middle Tennessee "pooch" punt. I don't know how that is to be defended. I've never seen that before and Middle ran it to perfection. Try to field the bouncing ball, you risk touching it and causing a turnover. Stay away, and the ball gets downed on the 1 yard line.

GO MEAN GREEN

BEAT NAVY (gosh, that sounds so big time )

Considering our past administration and spotty successes, seems like we have generations of fans that are used to bitter, lame-ass football and don't know how to be anything other than the spoilers when we suddenly have higher expectations? Not trying to counter anyone here, just saying.

*Fan supports program through 30+ years of crap

*Fan continuously donates money in hopes of turning that corner, to no avail

*Coach with high promise comes in, things don't go the way we hope...

*Fan feels frustration because they have their own idea about what's wrong, and feels the money has entitled them to spout about it.

...they have every right to let their disappointment be heard; conversely, we can disagree with them and HOW they vent; i.e. shots on the coaches' methodology, player effort, etc.

/irish accent

IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE

sq-fat-bastard-goldmember-newl.jpg

I personally have never booed at anyone at any level, more less teenage athletes. Call it what you want, but its classless and not what a new programs needs. Leaving early when the game is still on the line is absurd, but if you can justify it, go ahead. I will never publicly call out coaches or athletes who are laying it on the line.

You money guys and others can do what you want but just don't be the one if front of me who yells shi.t at some WR who drops a sure TD pass or who calls out Roman for not fielding a punt in public because it won't be pretty. If you don't have some good to say then say it in private with your freakin buddies at the bar. Don't call out kids in front of the young kids and their families trying to enjoy a game. We all want more fans yet we run off the some of those same people with crap that flies out of people's mouths who don't know a bad read from a blocking sled.

Yeah, I went to a game a couple of years ago to a game where the fans didn't even show up until midway throught the first quarter. The never stood and yelled; and some even left early...I even hear they have mostly band-wagon type fans.....I just don't think that Dallas Cowboys organization will ever amount to much; and surely is incapable to ever winning a championship.

I think those of us on the alumni side could only hope that more people would yell at coaches and players. At least there'd be some noise then. It's like a freakin' morgue over there. There are a handful of us who try to make noise at the appropriate times and everyone else just sits there. I'll say this, though, at least they're watching the game. Go to a suburban HS game and the only people actually there to see football are the player's parents and me.

I digress. They need to bring the cheerleaders up to the middle aisle sometimes and bring the "mini-band" up there more often. This would help to combat the extreme distances at Fouts.

I think those of us on the alumni side could only hope that more people would yell at coaches and players. At least there'd be some noise then. It's like a freakin' morgue over there. There are a handful of us who try to make noise at the appropriate times and everyone else just sits there. I'll say this, though, at least they're watching the game. Go to a suburban HS game and the only people actually there to see football are the player's parents and me.

I digress. They need to bring the cheerleaders up to the middle aisle sometimes and bring the "mini-band" up there more often. This would help to combat the extreme distances at Fouts.

I set in the letteman's section where I have had season tickets for about 7-8 years. The folks around me make noise but I would agree we need more. The lettermen seem to be a tough crowd. Its a little harder to show them shabby football and get away with it. Hair Roman just about brought the crowd on the field. It's really hard to watch. that and not yell.....something!!!

Give me a break..I recently moved to the Baton rouge area and working for the LSU system..The fans here are brutal..right or wrong, but they hold thier team to a differnt standard. Your right that some of the comments are uncalled for, but have some justification..What I'm saying is that it could be worse. I tell you, I have moved up in this organization pretty well and have the benefit of experiencing some things that the normal fan would not and I tell you it is incredible. I get goose bumps when I here the LSu fight song and never imagined I would feel that way about another team than UNT. I sing it (unt) as i am driving home, but I tell you it(LSU) is contagous. I will be a UNT fan forever, but it is very cool to go to a game where every one in that stadium has a common goal. WIN!!!

Whats killing me is that the alumni side is having great turnout.

I'm not asking for everyone to cheer every play, but when we are down by 2 with MTSU 3rd and long, that place should be rocking

Also at the FAU game and the ULM game, the students turned out better and louder than this past game.

Not getting down per se on anyone. I love seeing the turnout just need to get it going.

I am partly to blame i suppose. As this is my first year in the MGC, I have been hanging on the deck for the first 2 quarters. I'll be in my seat for the next 2 games

Whats killing me is that the alumni side is having great turnout.

I'm not asking for everyone to cheer every play, but when we are down by 2 with MTSU 3rd and long, that place should be rocking

Also at the FAU game and the ULM game, the students turned out better and louder than this past game.

Not getting down per se on anyone. I love seeing the turnout just need to get it going.

I am partly to blame i suppose. As this is my first year in the MGC, I have been hanging on the deck for the first 2 quarters. I'll be in my seat for the next 2 games

Exactly. I share the same frustration. We have had a great turnout this year on the alumni side, it just doesn't feature many who actually make noise. I had several friends at Homecoming from out of town, and they were asking me why everyone in the stands "just sits there". I didn't have a good response to that.

Anyone else note Mack Brown's comments on booing in today's DMN? Some people live in a dream world.

I noticed Colt McCoy's comments:

Not fazed by boo-birds

Quarterback Colt McCoy was asked Monday about the boos that rained down from some parts of the Royal-Memorial Stadium crowd last Saturday while the Texas offense was stuck in neutral with just three points on the scoreboard.

"Oh yeah, I hear them," McCoy said. "You can't let that affect you. We're disappointed just as much as they are."

Do the boos bother him?

"No," McCoy said, "because I know that it's just a matter of time before we figure out what works."

So for those who complain about fans yelling comments to coaches or players, get over it! They're all men, and they're playing a man's game, and they have thick skin... apparently thicker than you.

I left this game early with a massive headache and exhausted (shot friday night football in Shreveport then woke up at 5 am to come to the parade and lunch with friends) but it was the first UNT event I have ever left early and I honestly didn't want to.

That being said, it was the first time I have ever sat on the Alumni side (even though I graduated in 2000) I can't say that I will be back. 90% of the noise I heard was travelling across the track and field from the student side.

I have to say that although I appreciated the nice seats (someone had extra season tickets) I will be headed back to the general admission student side for my next trip.

Did anyone notice the new unified chant that the cheerleaders were trying to do on the alumni side?

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Long and slow, sounds sort of like someone yelling BOOOOOOOO and holding it at first)

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Innnnnnnnnn....)

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!(TEEEEE)

MEAN GREEN!!!!!!(done quickly after the T)

Although its not what I think we need in the way of a 7 beat chant, at least it's a quick, easy chant that does have a beginning and an ending and

can be done many times over the course of an event. They simply need to promote it someway so that others who don't sit in our seciton in

front of the cheerleaders will know what it is? When several of us tried to do it ourselves, and when we started carrying the "UUUUUUU..." part, it's loud and unique sounding enough to get peoples attention. There just wasn't enough of us to do it enough to teach everyone else. I started it once by myself and the cheerleaders heard me and did it again. Now, promote it so that when given a certain signal, 18,000 plus do it and you've got something!

Rick

We really do have the worst fans, just look at all the applogist on this board. Your not doing the school any favor by not facing reality.

Worst Defense in school history.

And complaining about it helps how?

Fans don't turn colors. They support their team, no matter what.

Are you a FAN?

And complaining about it helps how?

Fans don't turn colors. They support their team, no matter what.

Are you a FAN?

Right now I'm a greenish sick-to-my-stomach with the coaching staff shade of Mean Green. I'm also a touch of green-with-envy sort of fan, the the way every other team has better defense than us.

I get that Dodge gets a pass this season to get it together, but do we have to be worst in the country bad while we're "transitioning."

Edited by shaft