Mock Game

Dodge2007

Rough outing for the Mean Green. OU could get ugly the way the first team offense played. Hopefully, we got all the interceptions and mistakes out of the way now. Daniel had his moments but threw at least 4 picks. Running game was weak. Referees, coaches in press box, clock, etc., etc............they tried to simulate, as much as possible, game conditions. With the OU crowd and Stoops wanting to hang some points on our staff to give them their initiation to colllege football, they just might throw 60 points or more on us.

Our biggest win against OU will be keeping everyone healthy so that we beat the hell out of SMU.

Also I highly recommend these new field glasses I bought. I could see pretty damn good from outside the stadium with these babies.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=888

Edited by Dodge2007

This is certainly discouraging...Not what you hope with a 3rd year QB. I hope that our poor offense was due to a spectacular defensive effort, and that our defense will keep us in the game against OU.

Rough outing for the Mean Green. OU could get ugly the way the first team offense played. Hopefully, we got all the interceptions and mistakes out of the way now. Daniel had his moments but threw at least 4 picks. Running game was weak. Referees, coaches in press box, clock, etc., etc............they tried to simulate, as much as possible, game conditions. With the OU crowd and Stoops wanting to hang some points on our staff to give them their initiation to colllege football, they just might throw 60 points or more on us.

Our biggest win against OU will be keeping everyone healthy so that we beat the hell out of SMU.

Also I highly recommend these new field glasses I bought. I could see pretty damn good from outside the stadium with these babies.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=888

For $1800, I would expect to be able to view the scrimmage at Fouts from my home in Fort Worth.

Keep in mind that the defense is always way ahead of the offense at this time of year. Plus our defense knows just about everything that our offense is going to do. There are no surprises.

Well...if you want to look on the extremely positive side, you could argue that the defense is getting used to playing against our offense and has a real good idea of what is coming every play. Corners begin jumping routes and baiting QB's into throwing to them when they know what play is being run. When I used to coach this was the biggest beating after several weeks of practice when we were trying to get good looks from the scout team. Those scout players want to look good out there too.

OR...we could be as bad as all the publications are saying we are..."if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, chances are it is a duck."

You choose for yourself...it could even be a mixture of both, which is the way I lean on the matter

My biggest fear for this season, is not QB play, OL play, etc., it is people expecting too much from Dodge, and jumping ship. For example, "This guy is just a highscool coach, and that doesn't work up here."

I just hope we can all give TD a few years to really turn this thing around. This will not be an overnight project.

We all have to realize we are not going to beat OU...and there are several people out there that will be red hot when we get spanked by them, and will call for Dodge's head on this board after the game.

(Big Dawg steps off his soap box)

I do want to add that I will be in Norman cheering like hell for the Green, but getting beat isn't going to keep me from coming the next week @ SMU, or the week after the bye to the home opener, or any other game.

4-8, 5-7, 0-12, will not keep me from being a Mean Green fan, or a fan of what Dodge is doing here. This is the man to do the job here, but he is not the man the created the the universe in 6 days.

Edited by BIG DAWG

I was at the scrimmage and I gotta agree with Dodge2007. It was pretty discouraging. and if we look like that next week then the score will be very much equal or worse to that of Dickey ball against the bigs.

It wasn't just that the D-backs were getting a jump on routes.... Meager was underthrowing the ball several times to wide open players.

Pass coverage was real poor.... but we all expected this.

OH, and my HSO.... expect D. Cox to get more carries then J-Mo this year. Even with a healthy J-Mo. I am just sayin'.

**I will say that Meager also had a few pretty sweet tosses as well. I look forward to watching Thomas act as a wrecking ball on the D-line this year. I think he can really do some good things for us. And I love seeing our D-backs not playing 15 yards off the line. We may give up the big play every now and then but at the least we are making them work for their plays instead of just giving them the guaranteed 5 yard routes.

Edited by Travis

What I'm looking for as much as anything else is an attitude change.

If I see another NT team quit like the 04 team did in the Texas game, then I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

Oklahoma may get some big plays on us, but what I want to see is the defense lining up the next series and saying "OK bring it on, give us your next best shot".

OH, and my HSO.... expect D. Cox to get more carries then J-Mo this year. Even with a healthy J-Mo. I am just sayin'.

That wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Cox is healthy.

I know that there have been various reasons presented for J-Mo not being able to come close to duplicating his freshman performance. Most of them are probably valid. But from what I've observed, he hasn't run the same since he took that huge hit from the So. Miss defense before half-time in the 04 NO Bowl.

Another way to say that might be, "A QB that throws 4 INTs against a scout team should not be starting."

But he is because our head coach wants him starting.

I clearly wasn't at practice...but from my understanding this wasn't a scrimmage...first team O vs. first team D...this was a scout team offense and scout team defense...meaning this was Daniel Meager being picked off by the likes of Bron Hager and Noel Luna rather than Aaron Weathers and Latif Nurudeen...please someone who was there correct me if I'm off-target on this.

I wonder how well Joshua Maldanado did simulating Allen Patrick.

Meager was underthrowing the ball several times to wide open players.

No shocker here.....we can look forward to more of this at OU. We could get hammered by OU and Arkansas, and I think people for the most part will have patience with TD. I really don't expect a whole lot until late next season at the earliest.

My biggest fear for this season, is not QB play, OL play, etc., it is people expecting too much from Dodge, and jumping ship. For example, "This guy is just a highscool coach, and that doesn't work up here."

I just hope we can all give TD a few years to really turn this thing around. This will not be an overnight project.

We all have to realize we are not going to beat OU...and there are several people out there that will be red hot when we get spanked by them, and will call for Dodge's head on this board after the game.

Those that you refer to above = dumba$$es. If we look like crap in '09, then they can bitch.

This is not entirely uncommon. No matter if it's 2nd string or even 3rd string, if you have seen the offense everyday for the past 3 weeks you're going to know what they're doing. This gives you an edge by jumping routes, slanting gaps etc. and even up the playing field even if the 1st string is more athletic.

Like many have mentioned, we've gotta be patient with this "journey", as Dodge calls it. It's going to take time to implement, recruit, and learn the system that TD has. Should we beat OU, no! I'll be happy with getting off the bus with a game plan and mindset to actually try and beat OU! I'm looking for improvement every week and by the time the heart of conference starts we'll hopefully be hitting our rythm.

I clearly wasn't at practice...but from my understanding this wasn't a scrimmage...first team O vs. first team D...this was a scout team offense and scout team defense...meaning this was Daniel Meager being picked off by the likes of Bron Hager and Noel Luna rather than Aaron Weathers and Latif Nurudeen...please someone who was there correct me if I'm off-target on this.

I wonder how well Joshua Maldanado did simulating Allen Patrick.

How did our first team D look against the scout team Offense? Did the scout Offense score and who QB'd it? Did Vizza play at all with the first team O? thanks.

This is not entirely uncommon. No matter if it's 2nd string or even 3rd string, if you have seen the offense everyday for the past 3 weeks you're going to know what they're doing. This gives you an edge by jumping routes, slanting gaps etc. and even up the playing field even if the 1st string is more athletic.

Like many have mentioned, we've gotta be patient with this "journey", as Dodge calls it. It's going to take time to implement, recruit, and learn the system that TD has. Should we beat OU, no! I'll be happy with getting off the bus with a game plan and mindset to actually try and beat OU! I'm looking for improvement every week and by the time the heart of conference starts we'll hopefully be hitting our rythm.

I completely agree with you on this. But, I will say that we looked real poor in overall execution of plays. Even on three step drop passes Meager or Vizza was getting pressure and a few times lit up. And, nothing is more frustrating than killing a play with a poor throw.

We didn't run much as it seemed that we were really trying to work strictly on the passing game. It appears that Dodge must be comfortable with the run because he isn't putting much practice time on it.

I now believe after watching our first team (at the Mock game) that Dodge plan is to use Meager early on and give him his opportunities. That is the correct thing to do. #1 it keeps our young, future Qb healthy for the rest of season while our O-line comes of age and our O-Line gains the pass protection experience it so desperately needs.

Vizza did actually play with the first team a series or two. He moved the ball and looked very poised for being so young.

I have been paying close attention to Meager's comments during his interviews. He keeps mentioning that the QB race is a on going competition. I assume that Dodge that told him that he has to compete and execute to hold onto the job. Danny is the #1 but I believe he has to produce to hold onto the position for more than 2 or 3 games.

I will bet my bag of $3 peanuts, that Vizza sees some significant time after what I witnessed against a scout defense. Vizza actually looked sharper than Meager BUT he also didn't get the reps to make a good analysis and comparison and that is not fair to Meager.

Our recieving core looks like Brock, Casey, Brandon, and Washington with Breece, Dibrell, BJ and Rod backing them up. All indications are that Roberson and King will shirt. (unless they others do not produce or because of injuries)

Edited by Dodge2007

Here's the bottom line. Todge, for whatever his reason, sees fit to start Meager at OU. It could be that he's protecting his young gun. It could be that he's sheltering his elder statesman's ego. It could be that, even with the strides Vizza has made, he feels Danny handles the offense better and is more mature in it. No matter what his reason only one thing matters....

BEAT SMU