Unt Appeats To Have Landed Another One (6-8 285 Lb Olineman)

Harry

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

July 01, 2007

UNT appears to have landed another for 2007

It appears as if North Texas has landed another player for its 2007 recruiting class, even though the signing period is over.

Jacob Kaiser, a 6-7, 280-pound tackle from Greensburg (Pa.) Central Catholic, was being recruiting by several programs on the East Coast, but was still on the market long after signing day.

UNT appears to have stepped in and landed Kaiser, who could provide depth at tackle and maybe push for playing time this fall. The status of UNT's offensive line is one of the Mean Green's biggest question marks heading into the season. UNT came out of spring practice with redshirt freshman Matthew Menard at one tackle spot and sophomore Robert Peachey on the opposite side. Both Menard and Peachey are backed up by seniors.

UNT is hoping Josh Alexander will be able to return after sitting out last season with a knee injury, but his status is questionable heading into fall practice.

UNT only signed two offensive linemen in its 2007 recruiting class and one -- J.J. Johnson -- is a center. Kaiser appears to be the player UNT will pair with fellow 2007 recruit Matt Tomlinson and develop at tackle.

The following is a link to Kaiser's page on Rivals.com:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=50960

It looks like Dodge will look under every rock to find players who can help this program. Neither Kaiser nor Roman had UNT on their radar 6 months ago.

Dodge is a good judge of football talent. He knows what his team needs to become better, knows when he finds it, then convinces them to come along. :)

I don't think that Coach Dodge has been on the road looking under every rock, and peeking around every corner, since signing day. IMHO, what is happening is that a lot of coaches and/or scouts around the country are contacting Dodge and/or his staff and giving them good leads. Coach Dodge and his staff are then following up on these leads, making good evaluations/assessments and then pulling the trigger.

IMHO, this is happening because Coach Dodge and his staff have an outstanding reputation amongst their peers, AND they are willing to do the follow up work to identify these gems.

It's my understanding that in the previous coaching regime, phone calls and/or letters were rarely returned. From what some people have indicated to me, you would have had an easier time extracting secret documents from the FBI/CIA, than getting the previous coaching staff to respond to a lead.

Another write up by Pittsburgh newspaper

GCC tackle Kaiser picks North Texas

By The Tribune-Review

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Greensburg Central Catholic offensive tackle Jake Kaiser announced Wednesday that he'll attend the University of North Texas.

Steelers defensive tackle Joe Greene graduated from the college when it was called North Texas State.

Kaiser, 6-foot-8, 290 pounds, started the past two seasons for the Centurions. John Sullivan, Greensburg Central Catholic assistant coach and athletic director, confirmed Kaiser's decision.

He was a first-team all-Interstate Conference offensive lineman during his senior season, and recently played in the Foothills Football Classic.

Greensburg Central Catholic won back-to-back Interstate Conference titles and played in the WPIAL Class AA Championship game both years. The Centurions lost to South Park in 2005 and Jeannette in 2006.

He is the fourth player from the 2006 Greensburg Central Catholic squad to earn a Division I scholarship. Nick Sukay is attending Penn State, and Cody Catalina and Max Suter are headed to Syracuse.

Dodge is a good judge of football talent. He knows what his team needs to become better, knows when he finds it, then convinces them to come along. :)

I trust Dodge's judgement of talent, but does it not worry some of you that this kid, as big as he is, hasn't received an offer until now?? I can't find any video of him but I do see that his 40 time is 5.78. That's pretty slow, even for an offensive lineman. Let's hope he has quick feet and can pass block really well, because I don't see him executing a lot of pull blocks.

Nevertheless, he is BIG and that's exactly what a lot of us have been clamoring for (myself included). I just hope he doesn't turn out to be that big guy standing on the sidelines that makes you look up size in the program and wonder why in the hell he's not playing.

Here are his stats from the Scout.com in Pittsburgh

Height: 6-7.5

Weight: 276

40-Yard Dash: 5.78

Short Shuttle: 5.50

3-Cone: 8.87

Broad Jump: 7-2

298735.jpg

6'8" 290 as a freshman probably translates into about 6'9" 320 by the time hes a senior...that is a massive human...a legit D1 sized lineman. It will be interesting to see if hes a bit more nimble than that 40 time would suggest...but if nothing else hes a project, and a project with that kinda size potential is not a bad thing.

You have to like his size, and his height will help him out alot. In terms of pass protection, those long arms will help out a lot. He is a monster of an individual. You just worry about his speed/foot speed, if his 40 time is accurate.

Then again you wonder why he had only received one offer to this point. On his Rivals and Scout pages he has some big time schools listed, PSU, ND and some others. Who knows one thing that is true is that you can't teach size. And he has plenty.

It looks like he was shooting for big time programs up north and didn't get the offers he was looking for. It could have scared a few smallers schools away that like Dickey don't go after kids who are looking at big programs (even as walk-ons). Its very possible TD just took a shot in the dark at this kid after seeing his size and build and convinced him a scholarship position down here is better than walking on somewhere up there.

I don't think that Coach Dodge has been on the road looking under every rock, and peeking around every corner, since signing day. IMHO, what is happening is that a lot of coaches and/or scouts around the country are contacting Dodge and/or his staff and giving them good leads. Coach Dodge and his staff are then following up on these leads, making good evaluations/assessments and then pulling the trigger.

IMHO, this is happening because Coach Dodge and his staff have an outstanding reputation amongst their peers, AND they are willing to do the follow up work to identify these gems.

It's my understanding that in the previous coaching regime, phone calls and/or letters were rarely returned. From what some people have indicated to me, you would have had an easier time extracting secret documents from the FBI/CIA, than getting the previous coaching staff to respond to a lead.

It's no secret amoung high school players the job Todd Dodge has done at Carrol the past few years. You don't go 79-1 in Texas 5A football without people taking notice and games broadcast on ESPN and Fox Sports a couple of times doesn't hurt to get the message out.

On another note i like this kids size but I wonder how this big Pennsylvania guy is going to react to the Texas heat in August during Two-a-days?

Edited by Baby Arm!