• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DFW Airport popped up above freezing around an hour and a half ago. Officially, the freezing rain ended at 1038 local time and is now just light rain.

There's another go-round of the freezing crap currently about 35 miles to the east...but with the temperatures staying just up above freezing, it will likely not be freezing precip until later. Bad news is, if this regular light rain continues, it's just going to make the roads wet enough for sheets of ice/black ice later today.

Forecast is currently calling for more freezing rain and ice pellets sometime between 6pm and 10pm central time.

If you're flying in or out of North Texas today, check with your airline...we've been cancelling alot of stuff in that area. And, for Pete's sake, if you don't have to drive...DON'T.

Good luck,

Your resident weatherman...

Edited by JayDub

Update...

New National Weather Service Forecast just came out...calling for more freezing rain, light freezing drizzle, and/or ice pellets until around 1am central. Guess they don't see a real end to it. They ARE known to be wrong...alot (ahhh, the science of "aft-casting"). <_<

There will likely be some breaks in the action every now and again...but for those of us who have to legally abide by forecasts like these...it doesn't look all that great.

- Your resident weatherman.

Here's the 1800z (12 Noon Central) TAF for you pilot types.

KDFW 141752Z 141818 34009KT 4SM -FZDZ BKN006 OVC012

TEMPO 1820 1SM FZRA BR OVC004

FM2000 33007KT 3SM BR OVC004

TEMPO 2023 -FZDZ

FM2300 34012KT 6SM BR OVC007

TEMPO 0105 3SM FZRAPL OVC005

FM0500 35014KT P6SM BKN008 OVC012

TEMPO 0507 4SM -FZRAPL

FM0800 35012KT P6SM BKN012 OVC020

FM1400 36018G26KT P6SM BKN025 OVC090

Edited by JayDub

Just don't watch or pay any attention to Pete Delkus on channel 8, unless he is the only weather that is on. Whatever he is saying that is or is going to happen, it will be doing, or will do the opposite. He was claiming that Denton was under 32 all morning, yet when I came out of church there were was no ice on any of the cars. It has started to form on trees and powerlines now and according to the radar, it appears much more moisture is headed our way.

I really hate this kind of ice....as it is so deciving to those that have to drive. The roads in the morning will "look" wet, but probably be icy, and the bridges for sure will be icy.

This is one slow cold front. It's still not made it to here in Texarkana yet. (Yeah, I know....even the cold front doesn't want to come to Texarkana).

It is supposed to get here tonight....giving us some freezing rain (Some freezing rain tomorrow, too).

The good news.....our drought has been busted. We've had 6 inches of rain in the last 2 days. (and probably about 10 inches of rain in the last 3-4 weeks).

Edited by SUMG

uh oh u must have had proffesor appleby

Hehe. Last year I took astronomy and one of the slides during a lecture said: "Earth will be unable to sustain life in 20 years"

This alarmed me! 20 years? What's the point of getting my degree??

Being the smart ass that I am, I raised my hand at the end of the lecture and asked the professor to please explain that assertion.

He said that yes, indeed the earth will likely be dead in 20 years. I asked if we should be evacuating the planet NOW, and he said "Yes, we should"

I then asked on what studies this prediction was based. He hesitated a minute or two then meekly admitted it "wasn't based on any hard science."

I was embarrassed that this guy holds a Ph.D.

I'm not concerned about the weather right now ... what has me concerned is the 2nd front that is on the way (moving rather slowly) that will arrive some time over night and drop the temps into the teens and stay below feezing all day Monday.

I'm not concerned about the weather right now ... what has me concerned is the 2nd front that is on the way (moving rather slowly) that will arrive some time over night and drop the temps into the teens and stay below feezing all day Monday.

Are you guys getting this wet stuff? I did notice that Tulsa got slammed. On to watch 24.

Are you guys getting this wet stuff? I did notice that Tulsa got slammed. On to watch 24.

We have been getting rain off and on all weekend long (2-3" yesterday) here in NW Ark. It's stopped right now, but the stuff hitting Tulsa (and what's behind it) has me wondering what I will wake up to tomorrow.

The trees look cool with the ice on them ... the power lines, not so much. Outages have been minimal from reports I've seen, but tonight will be the coldest of the weekend and any precipitation tonight will only make things worse.

I had never seen what happened in the weather on Saturday. Being a pilot I follow the weather some.

What happened is the reverse of what happens in the summer with thunderstorms. In the summer, the rain falls and carries the cooler air above to the ground, cooling everything off.

Saturday, there was a “temperature inversion” meaning the air temperature at higher levels is higher then on the ground. (the norm is for the temperature on the ground to be warmer then the temperatures aloft)

So what happened is heavy rain fell from the higher altitudes and forced the warmer air to the ground. Several cities were below freezing before the rain and above freezing during and after the storms.

Isn't science neat!?