• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that stayed inside today, your local emergency workers thank you.

Many of the bridges are ice rinks and have been since early yesterday(Sunday) morning, but got really bad after sundown. And even though there may be several firetrucks, ambulances and P.D. cars present with 3 lanes cut down to one people still seem hell bent on driving 60mph within feet of us while we work. We have been getting run ragged for 18 hours now. Although nearly hit multiple times we've been lucky. Other crews have not been so lucky. As of 10 p.m. we are now running with chains on. Every emergency worker in the city right now is up against it, all ambulances are now strickly running priority 2(non emergency due to concerns of safety on the ice) and the system is being taxed to it's edge out on the highway's for absolutely no reason other than pure negligence and stupidity.

Rick

I had never seen what happened in the weather on Saturday. Being a pilot I follow the weather some.

What happened is the reverse of what happens in the summer with thunderstorms. In the summer, the rain falls and carries the cooler air above to the ground, cooling everything off.

Saturday, there was a “temperature inversion” meaning the air temperature at higher levels is higher then on the ground. (the norm is for the temperature on the ground to be warmer then the temperatures aloft)

So what happened is heavy rain fell from the higher altitudes and forced the warmer air to the ground. Several cities were below freezing before the rain and above freezing during and after the storms.

Isn't science neat!?

It's just enough to really really screw up an airline's day.

I don't understand, i'm in Gainesville right now, and they have shown that freezing rain has been here for the past 2 hours, but i've yet to see it..

If the temperature is reporting at or below freezing and there is precipitation, it will likely report as freezing rain...

Anyone in the Lewisville area know how the roads are looking now?

I tried to drive to my office in Lewisville. I stopped to get a coke at the convient store in Denton and a Police officer told me to "go back home" when I inquired how I-35E south was. He said he didn't believe that I-35E or I35W had been sanded and that they were horrible to drive on. Needless to say, I came back home.

Took me two hours to make the 35 mile drive home this mornng. 5 Jacknifed 18 wheelers had both directions at the I 20/I 30 merge west of Fort Worth completely blocked. I went off road to get up to the side service road to get around it.

THE END OF STUPIDITY

You know how the commercial goes, about the guy actually finding the end of the internet? This morning a co-worker found the END OF STUPIDITY, or rather the end of the length of it I guess? My coworker drove out ahead of me west, then south on 377 towards Granbury and calling me to give updates on the roads. When he got just south of Benbrook there's a grade uphill and down that leads into Whiskey Flats. He called and said, "Your never going to guess what I'm driving behind?". I asked what? He said there was a guy on a motorcycle with both feet dragging on the ground with the bike slipping out from under him, one side then to the other and he was just able to keep it up without falling, and refused to pull over to let anyone by.

Job Security.

Again, if you DON'T have to be out in it, STAY HOME!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

For those of you that stayed inside today, your local emergency workers thank you.

Many of the bridges are ice rinks and have been since early yesterday(Sunday) morning, but got really bad after sundown. And even though there may be several firetrucks, ambulances and P.D. cars present with 3 lanes cut down to one people still seem hell bent on driving 60mph within feet of us while we work. We have been getting run ragged for 18 hours now. Although nearly hit multiple times we've been lucky. Other crews have not been so lucky. As of 10 p.m. we are now running with chains on. Every emergency worker in the city right now is up against it, all ambulances are now strickly running priority 2(non emergency due to concerns of safety on the ice) and the system is being taxed to it's edge out on the highway's for absolutely no reason other than pure negligence and stupidity.

Rick

You are greatly appreciated for the work that you do.

My experience was fun this morning going home from work.

1. My doors were frozen shut. I had to pull hard to finally open the driver door. Before I left work, one of the guys who was supposed to relieve me called for the same thing. I talked with him this afternoon. He had to take a tennis shoe to break up the ice around his car door.

2. I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to open enough holes in the ice on my windshield so I could drive. I stopped a couple of times on the way home to further clear more ice.

3. There is always some IDIOT on the road close to you and he was close to me. He was DYING to drive a lot faster then everyone else. I slowed down enough to let him get far enough ahead so when he slid into a ditch/car/guard rail I would be able to avoid him.

Fortunately, this afternoon the roads a much better. No ice, all dry (for the most part) and not as many hazards as there were at 6AM when I was experiencing all of the above.

Still colder then a well digger's arse.

There was some snow in Abilene. It hasn't been above freezing since Friday, so conditions weren't that good anyway. Our school was cancelled for the day and I am pissed because we really need to have basketball practice, and we already missed one practice on Monday. The way they are cancelling school, I think we will wrap up this school year the week before two-a-days start.