You are all knuckleheads

By your logic I guess NT did the imposibble and went from undefeated conference champ to last place in one year.  Logic should work both ways.

It would be unrealistic to predict that, and it is unacceptable that it happened, no doubt. But rising is a lot harder than falling. Especially when your starting QB dies in a car accident.

unusual yes but look at O'Leary at UCF, 0-11 to 9-3 in one year

UCF is an interesting comparison. I live near there, and they're a large directional school overshadowed by a state of football powers. They built a big stadium, hired a marquee coach and expect to become as big on the field as their enrollment in the state.

UNT should be looking at how USF and UCF are building their programs. If they can do it, there's no good reason we can't follow suit.

That's because it's the truth to this point...we have to take what we have...realistic expectations are proper here and winning the Sun Belt and getting to New Orleans would be great.

I can accept the losses to Tulsa and Akron, but I can't accept how non-competitive the games were. If UNT isn't good enough to put a scare into some mid-major OOC teams, Dickey should catch hell. I'm eager to see Dickey make it work here, but without the OOC success the long-term future of the program is only as good as the long-term future of the Sun Belt.

And yours are totally unrealistic.  You are expecting to buy a Bently while working at McDonalds.

Stop pretending to be a voice of reason.

Wanting to play competitive games against Tulsa and Akron are unrealistic standards? Wow, your standards are even more pathetic than I first thought. Especially if you think being competitive with CUSA and MAC teams as being a "Bentley".

Wanting to play competitive games against Tulsa and Akron are unrealistic standards? Wow, your standards are even more pathetic than I first thought. Especially if you think being competitive with CUSA and MAC teams as being a "Bentley".

I don't think you give Tulsa or Akron enough credit. Akron especially. Playing competetive is not an unrealistic expectation, but nowhere have you previously stated that being competitive against these teams is all you want.

I am not necessarily comparing them to a Bently, Texas on the other hand can be.

What's pathetic is thinking we are better than we actually are. We are almost running a popsicle stand with the type of funding we are giving the athletic dept. This is not a "whoa is me" attitude, but at the rate some of you want an improvement it is crazy to have such high expectations, and such crap to say about the team after 4 games, and after the type of year that we had last year.

I think it is pathetic for you to jump to conclusions and dog a team that hasn't even played the bulk of their schedule yet. We've seen 4 games, all have shown a marked improvement over last year's team. and you pull out the "we're never going anywhere" defeatist speech.

Ever wonder why Dickey has some of those same feelings if that's the way the fans think?

My thoughts exactly. Everything you have stated is a reasonable goal. And you are not calling the season a failure, like others. We forget, we used to lose every OOC game before running the table in conference regularly. If we can get back to that this season, then it is a successful season.

I know my expectations might be pathetic as E-bone pointed out, but I'll take that if it means that I will not be totally defeated at the end of the season when we are chilling in New Orleans.

Which brings me to my next question. If, and when we make it to New Orleans after everyone has already given up on the team after 4 outings... Will those who gave up now be allowed or even want to go?

"We forget, we used to lose every OOC game before running the table in conference regularly. If we can get back to that this season, then it is a successful season."

2 things:

1. By saying "we used to lose every OOC game" it's like you are implying that we win them now. I think we all know that is not true.

2. You pretty much sum of the differences that the folks on this board have here with this one statement. Doing what we have always done is not good enough. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you are going to be the same employee that you were five years ago and see how long that last.

"We forget, we used to lose every OOC game before running the table in conference regularly. If we can get back to that this season, then it is a successful season."

2 things:

1.  By saying "we used to lose every OOC game" it's like you are implying that we win them now.  I think we all know that is not true.

2.  You pretty much sum of the differences that the folks on this board have here with this one statement.  Doing what we have always done is not good enough.  Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you are going to be the same employee that you were five years ago and see how long that last.

1. We all know that is not true, which is why I didn't have to say as much. I was not implying that we do now, I was saying 2-3 years ago we lost them too...

2. Doing what we did 2-3-4 years ago IS good enough at this point. 2-9 is NOT. Next year assuming we do get back to 2-3-4 years ago, it will increase.

Second it is just freaking hilarious that people always bring up this argument....

"Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you are going to be the same employee that you were five years ago and see how long that last."

What in the world can you draw a comparison to in the work place from sports? How does that apply to what we are talking about? It just doesn't make ANY sense.

This... is a game and should be treated as such... I think that some of us forgot that for there to be a winner in a game, there must be a loser. I also think that some of us don't quite know how to lose. And what to do and not do after losing.

Edited by MeanMag

"What in the world can you draw a comparison to in the work place from sports? How does that apply to what we are talking about? It just doesn't make ANY sense.

This... is a game and should be treated as such... I think that some of us forgot that for there to be a winner in a game, there must be a loser. I also think that some of us don't quite know how to lose. And what to do and not do after losing."

You must be new to UNT huh?

So you are writing off conference play and automatically slating NT for the New Orleans Bowl?

Yeah, you sound like you know alot about college football.  rolleyes.gif

if you think that anyone in Sunbelt play will be comparable to anyone that we have played thus far you are wrong. having played the way that we have so far, I expect to run the conference table.

if you think that anyone in Sunbelt play will be comparable to anyone that we have played thus far you are wrong. having played the way that we have so far, I expect to run the conference table.

This team is not good enough in any facet of the game to predict running the table.

We can hope as fans, but my head tells me that there will be more offense and/or special teams meltdowns to come that will cost us games.

"What in the world can you draw a comparison to in the work place from sports? How does that apply to what we are talking about? It just doesn't make ANY sense.

This... is a game and should be treated as such... I think that some of us forgot that for there to be a winner in a game, there must be a loser. I also think that some of us don't quite know how to lose. And what to do and not do after losing."

You must be new to UNT huh?

Nope, I joined this board the same year you did.

When you lose you figure out how to get better. You don't point fingers and give up, like so many on this board have already done to this team after 4 games.

Nope, I joined this board the same year you did.

When you lose you figure out how to get better.  You don't point fingers and give up, like so many on this board have already done to this team after 4 games.

Do you mind telling that to DD and RF b/c they apparently do not follow your logic. I also hope we do not give up on the team, but I have given up on the coaching staff due to the perceived incompetence shown the last 2 1/2 years.

Do you mind telling that to DD and RF b/c they apparently do not follow your logic. I also hope we do not give up on the team, but I have given up on the coaching staff due to the perceived incompetence shown the last 2 1/2 years.

So you're saying the last conference championship season/NO Bowl you were denouncing the coaching staff's incompetence?? I'm not doubting this, because you said it right there, but I'm just wondering if maybe you overstated a bit.

So you're saying the last conference championship season/NO Bowl you were denouncing the coaching staff's incompetence?? I'm not doubting this, because you said it right there, but I'm just wondering if maybe you overstated a bit.

Did you see the 2004 NO Bowl??

I'll give you a hint....eerily similar to our most recent 2 games.

Yes, I did - I'm just asking, if at that time, after 4 straight championships, people viewed our coaching staff as incompetent and substandard.

Did you read the boards throughout that NO Bowl season? Or were you just too happy with the SBC game wins throughout that year. Many, many, members on this board were ripping DD & Co. a new a$$hole throughout the year. It came down like a sledghammer early on after that pitiful FAU loss.

Members supported the team but still squawked at 8Ball Dickey throughout that season.

Edited by Got5onIt

Did you read the boards throughout that NO Bowl season? Or were you just too happy with the SBC game wins throughout that year. Many, many, members on this board were ripping DD & Co. a new a$$hole throughout the year. It came down like a sledghammer early on after that pitiful FAU loss.

Members supported the team but still squawked at 8Ball Dickey throughout that season.

Okay, fair enough. That's how you and apparently many like you feel. I guess I just had a different perspective on that whole era.

Probably stems from the crap I grew up watching. If you had told me in '99 that I would see NT in a DI bowl in the next ten years, I'd have said you were nuts. I have never been happier about an achievement by a team I followed in MY LIFE than I was watching us beat Idaho at the Loophole on the Square...top 10 night for me. and beating NMSU at Fouts, and Arkie State at Fouts... God, it was just so great. We're not that far removed from being utterly inconsequential. The fact that so many of you are so upset about non-conference losses illustrates just how far we've come.

Again, to each his own. I'll be right there with you if we tank in conference play.

Here's the problem with that logic:

1) We were defending conference champions four years in a row.

2) Many people here expect us to be win our conference again this year.

3) Many people here argue that being conference champions of the SBC is something noteworthy, or that it has gained some measure of respect.

Now, by implying that a team that many here expect to be conference champions of the SBC should not even be competitive with those of the MAC or WAC or CUSA is a direct admission that winning our own conference is not near the accomplishment that some have made it out to be. The fact that we CAN win the SBC and not even BE COMPETITIVE* with the conference champions of other mid-major leagues simply illustrates that we are, at best, kings of the crappile that is the SBC.

For its merits, I believe the SBC is getting better, and think it's a fine place for us to be for now, until WE prove we can beat anyone from other conferences regularly.

*a point missed by many is that we "negative people" are not upset THAT we lose these games, but that we rarely look like we even belong in them. you don't think we COULD'VE won this game? did you see the number of opportunities we squandered in the 2nd half? i don't know about others but i'm tired of seeing it.

Here's the problem with that logic:

1) We were defending conference champions four years in a row.

2) Many people here expect us to be win our conference again this year.

3) Many people here argue that being conference champions of the SBC is something noteworthy, or that it has gained some measure of respect.

Now, by implying that a team that many here expect to be conference champions of the SBC should not even be competitive with those of the MAC or WAC or CUSA is a direct admission that winning our own conference is not near the accomplishment that some have made it out to be.  The fact that we CAN win the SBC and not even BE COMPETITIVE* with the conference champions of other mid-major leagues simply illustrates that we are, at best, kings of the crappile that is the SBC.

For its merits, I believe the SBC is getting better, and think it's a fine place for us to be for now, until WE prove we can beat anyone from other conferences regularly. 

*a point missed by many is that we "negative people" are not upset THAT we lose these games, but that we rarely look like we even belong in them.  you don't think we COULD'VE won this game?  did you see the number of opportunities we squandered in the 2nd half?  i don't know about others but i'm tired of seeing it.

Excellent post.