Texans made HUGE mistake

Not taking Reggie Bush when they had the chance, contract negotiation slow downs or no, was a dramatic mistake. Mario Williams is not going to make that defense significantly better, Reggie Bush could have done that for the offense. Bush was the most capable "impact" player in this draft and now I think he'll end up with the Jets after they trade with New Orleans for the #2 pick. N.O. has Deuce and doesn't need Reggie, but they do need the picks that the Jets could package.

I don't know Emmitt, Williams is like 6 foot 6 295 pounds and runs a 4.7 40. He's a freak of nature and the Texans need more help on defense. Time will tell but I don't see this as a huge mistake as much as Houston deciding they want to help their defense. Mario is being described as a mix between LT and Julious Peppers. Bush is so small. A great player Bush is for sure but breakable at that level.

I actually like the pick. Carr isn't Manning but he is good considered the time he has had to throw. A new Qb would take time to get better... No to Qb. Bush is better than Dominique Davis...probably...but Davis young and he isn't all that bad. I Doubt Bush would be a huge impact and give a lot of improvement. WRs... don't seem to need any great ones and really available.

Houston drafts #1, #33, #64, and #65 ...that is 4 rather quick picks and they can't spend a fortune one just one player either.. Bush seemed to want a lot more than he was likely worth and might hold out as did Ced Benson who became near worthless (also Rivers for two years) .. Move on to option #2. Mario if he is as good as expected, he can destroy teams... L. Taylor of the Giants just destroyed the Cowboys and Redskins,and many other teams. This might be the same type person football ability..... time will tell.

At least they did not just let the fans and public make their decision for them based on emotion or whatever. Fans love QB's and RB's, they are high profile, much more than lineman. the Texans got a position they needed and not one that already had a decent player for.. They were dead last in sacks last year..... They weren't in yards gained rushing or passing. Watch a couple of the other three early Houston picks go for offensive linemen.

Plus the more you learned about Bush, the more personal baggage he seemed to have.....not good.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

I don't think it was a huge mistake but the minute a Bush signing looked difficult, the Texans should've traded down a couple of spots and selected D-Brick. It's no secret they need OL talent. It was a no brainer, IMO of course, that if they stayed put at #1 you have to take Reggie Bush. I'm still shocked..

ohmy.gifblink.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

I'm not sure it was such a bad pick after all. I kept looking at him standing next to Debrick, an O lineman, and he nearly dwarfs him in size. Compare that size with the speeds they claim he has and his rushing abilities and he could very easily start to affect games in how teams attack their defense. Houston has nearly everything else in place. Time will tell, but this won't hurt them, but help.

I'd like to see Dallas get Ohio State's LB, Coleman with their first pick. E, text me with Dallas' pick if you can. I'll be out in west Texas Turkey hunting this weekend and will have no access to TV.

Rick

I would agree with all of you were it not for two things:

1)In the 3-4 alignment that Williams played in both of the other guys on that D-line will be NFL players this upcoming draft as well. It was a pick your poison scenario...though there's no doubt that Mario was the focal point of the defensive attack.

2)Mario Williams and who else should scare you on that Texans defense? When I say he doesn't immediately upgrade that defense I mean who else is there to help him? If I'm an OC facing the Texans why don't I just double team Mario Williams? Who makes me pay? Reggie Bush, on the other hand, if you don't respect him he'll burn you. If you show too much respect Carr has room to throw to Andre Johnson and Jabar Gaffney (Gaffney is still there, right?).

I just think many people are discounting just how good Reggie Bush is. In my opinion he's a once in a generation back.

The last 4 out of 5 defensive players selected first overall were busts.

I believe the Texans choked.

The only things I would have done were,

1)Draft Bush

2)Trade the pick.

IMHO, Bush was the only player available that would make a difference as much as having multiple picks from a trade.

Translation, I don't think the Texans got the true value for the pick.

I like the pick because:

#1 - trading down is not easy, it costs too much for people to trade up for the #1 spot and it appears nobody was willing

#2 - They already have a solid running back in Davis, Bush would have been an expensive 3rd down back / return man

#3 - Williams immediately improves their defense in a need area

plus I would assume that Bush lied to the Texans about this whole house/family/agent fiasco and the Texans do not trust him anymore

---O.J. ( picked #1) and Barry Sanders were both outstanding backs... but their teams could not win very much or even make the playoffs. Teams with defensive players like L Taylor who destroyed the Cowboys and Skins did, and only had a so-so offense but won a lot. Ravens is a good example also.

---I know fans love high profile RBs and QB's but they only do well if the rest of the offense is very good and they only win if the defense can actually stop someone.. I apparently are one of few in Texas that thinks this was a smart way to go but time will tell. Philly fans wanted Williams instead of McNabb and we all see how that worked out.. Bush may be a lot better than Dominck Davis but I don't think Bush would improved Houston wins that much... Watch offensive lineman be drafted with the next three Houston picks. That too is a big need. Houston was the only team to go several weeks into the season before they got a turnover. They needed someone on defense to pressure the other QB and get into the backfield.

• Upvote 1

Safe pick. 

Bush will be a highlight reel, but I don't believe he will be the impact player everyone expects him to be. 

Interesting that Norm Chow passed on Leinart to pick Young.

Yep!!!, and complicating it all.. Young is at the Titans ( ex-Oilers) owned by Houston man plus Titans play Houston twice every year... Houston folks will get to see him play in person once every year. ...That pass of Chow may have caused Leinert to drop even futher down the list... ie does he know something we don't know.

• Upvote 1

Yep!!!,  and complicating it all.. Young is at the Titans ( ex-Oilers) owned by Houston man plus Titans play Houston twice every year... Houston folks will get to see him play in person once every year. 

this is what makes me sick. Anyone who is from Houston knows why VY going to the Titans is especially painful.

A lot of people were concerned about Leinarts inability to throw the deep ball. He has remarkable touch, just doesnt have the arm strength of VY or Jay Cutler, so it doesnt suprise me that he slipped to the 10 spot.

Im OK with the Texans pick. I wasnt at first. I tend to agree with you Emmitt, I do think RB is a once in a lifetime guy, but time will tell. We needed help on both sides of the ball.

My biggest complaint is that the Texans really dont have a face/identity. When you think of the team, there isnt one player who stands out. We had a chance to pull in a guy like that and passed on it. I hope it doesnt come back to haunt us, though I feel it might... and he may be wearing #10...

---Texans in 3rd round loading up on linemen, two offensive tackles. Eric Winston from Miami and Midland Texas went to Miami as a TE. He was playing behind Winslow (now of the Browns). In HS Winston played basketball as a center and took Lee to the state tournament in AAAAA, He was the TE for Lee when Ced Benson was the RB and Andy Brewster (of North Texas) was the center. In short he is a multi-skilled athelete.

---Miami has been a goldmine of tight ends... Bubba Franks (Big Spring).. followed by Shockey.... followed by Kellen Winslow and Eric Winston who played both TE and tackle.

---Maybe Carr will not get sacked a million times this year.

--Recruit more West Texans at NT.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see Dallas get Ohio State's LB, Coleman with their first pick.  E, text me with Dallas' pick if you can.  I'll be out in west Texas Turkey hunting this weekend and will have no access to TV.

Rick

Thanks for the Text Mesage E. I was glad I got my wish although I ment Carpenter, not Coleman. Surprisingly, I recieved the message but for some reason couldn't resend it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think that the Texan's management is clearly mentally ill. There is NO WAY that you pass up on Bush. Building a defense around one player is a lot more difficult than it is on offense. They also really screwed things up public relations wise. The "take it all the way" possibilities involved when Bush touches the ball 30 times per game are incredible. Great hands, great feet, great football player. HUGE mistake! BTW, if Bush is too "small" , then so are 75+% of the great modern era running backs. Five eleven 200-210 is the prototype great NFL running back, and don't forget the legitimate 4.3 speed. My favorite senior won't be drafted because his 40 performance for the scouts was not exactly steller, but then again Emmit Smith wasn't exactly a sprinter either. Hope PC gets a good FA shot with the Texans. They definitely need a darkhorse to step up after this debacle.

When you have NFL draft prospects coming out of Abilene Christian and Tarleton State it kind of makes you wonder what we've been doing wrong. No offense to those schools, but we need to go out and find some of those guys! Bring on the West Texans!

The Abilene Christian guy would up there because he did not meet NCAA academic requirements, Nebraska wanted him but could not sign him..... I think he went to a Jr. College and then ACU took a chance on him later. I actually know the father of the Tarleton guy. I think he was one that matured a lot after graduation although someone might should have took a chance on him.

I teach in a Midland (jr) College and our basketball team could likely compete extremely well with most 4-year schools. JC teams are made up those whose can't meet NCAA academic requirements, are viewed too small such as our Spud Webb was, (true for basketball and football) or they just matured after HS or came from a losing program therefore division-I colleges did not recognize they were as good as they were and would not take a chance on them..

--Absolutely true, recruit more West-Texans, our winning NT teams had a lot more West-Texans than it does now.---They do not accept losing very well.-- Need to hit the metroplex hard too as did Fry.... he had a lot of personal relationships with the local coaches and they fed him some good players.

• Upvote 1

the biggest mistake the Texans made this weekend was letting VY go to a division rival. they have just given themselves at least 2 losses per year for the next 10-12 years. Mario Williams is a fine DE. he will never touch Young.